Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    You have all read about the Palm Mansion, a supposed 5-inch device. The problem is, there is no market for a 5-inch device, it is slightly too big to be pocketable which makes it nearly useless, in-between size.

I believe that this device will use two 3.7 inch screens that go on top of each other when pocketed. So, the thing opens and closes like a book (or maybe one screen slides over the other). It could be used in portrait or landscape. Landscape mode could use the bottom screen as keyboard and the top screen as display. Portrait mode could show inbox in left and an opened email in right screen, etc. Together those screens would be exactly 5 inches and in a pocketable format.

The Enyo framework would make it easy to write software for this unusual format.

The TI Blaze development device for OMAP 4 uses exactly that configuration, two 3.7 inch screens.

This device will not be cheap and the battery life will be so and so, but it will be magnificent. A worthy sequel to the Pre, the device that was before it.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    They woouldnt do this, palm is to conservative to do a drastic hardware change like this. and theyd disspoint alot of people with a form factor like this. I think the masion will be a 4inch or 4.5 screen.
    rumor or your idea? seems like the latter to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Yeah, you might want to change the title of this thread..

There's no way this will happen.
    Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Rumor.

palm mansion - Google Search

The interpretation is mine. I do not see one 5-inch screen as credible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Rumor.

please look at the dates of the articles
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    please look at the dates of the articles
    Exactly two months ago.
    Exactly two months ago.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    The OMAP 4 is designed for this kind of devices. Look at the Blaze MDP with two 3.7-inch screens. The development device is not folding, but it is very clear that those screens become practical once one folds or slides over the other when the device is not used.

This rumor, two months old or not, is one of the reasons that makes me think that HP/Palm will not miss this boat. I do not see how a two month old rumor would be worse than a two days old rumor in this respect.
    Rumor.

Neither did folks when they heard about Dell offering a 5" device.

Two 3.7" screens would be a "new" form factor and HPalm has said they will be offering interesting ones. However, I'm from the 4" slate camp. Just sprinkle in an OMAP 4 and I'll be happy.
    I simply don't think that Palm had the money prior to HP's acquisition, and HP hasn't had the time since, for this kind of device to have been developed. I think what we're going to see on 2/9 in terms of actual shipping hardware products within the next six months are going to be relatively conservative. I don't think they'll even match the high-end Android devices that were announced at CES.

Where I think HP will focus will be on the ecosystem that they're going to be building, and how future hardware devices will support it. Ultimately, that's what's going to make them successful in any event, and it's going to take time to get there. In the meantime, I think HP's focus will be on making robust (but not bleeding edge) devices that mostly meet the current competition but don't blaze any new grounds. They'll show smartphones, and maybe even one or two that will ship on some carrier within a few months, but they won't be anything crazy.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    You have all read about the Palm Mansion, a supposed 5-inch device. The problem is, there is no market for a 5-inch device, it is slightly too big to be pocketable which makes it nearly useless, in-between size.

I believe that this device will use two 3.7 inch screens that go on top of each other when pocketed. So, the thing opens and closes like a book (or maybe one screen slides over the other). It could be used in portrait or landscape. Landscape mode could use the bottom screen as keyboard and the top screen as display. Portrait mode could show inbox in left and an opened email in right screen, etc. Together those screens would be exactly 5 inches and in a pocketable format.

The Enyo framework would make it easy to write software for this unusual format.

The TI Blaze development device for OMAP 4 uses exactly that configuration, two 3.7 inch screens.

This device will not be cheap and the battery life will be so and so, but it will be magnificent. A worthy sequel to the Pre, the device that was before it.
    Good idea.

The OMAP 4 is designed for this kind of devices. Look at the Blaze MDP with two 3.7-inch screens. The development device is not folding, but it is very clear that those screens become practical once one folds or slides over the other when the device is not used.

This rumor, two months old or not, is one of the reasons that makes me think that HP/Palm will not miss this boat. I do not see how a two month old rumor would be worse than a two days old rumor in this respect.
    I think it is possible, and I kinda hope it will happen!

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I simply don't think that Palm had the money prior to HP's acquisition, and HP hasn't had the time since, for this kind of device to have been developed. I think what we're going to see on 2/9 in terms of actual shipping hardware products within the next six months are going to be relatively conservative. I don't think they'll even match the high-end Android devices that were announced at CES.

Where I think HP will focus will be on the ecosystem that they're going to be building, and how future hardware devices will support it. Ultimately, that's what's going to make them successful in any event, and it's going to take time to get there. In the meantime, I think HP's focus will be on making robust (but not bleeding edge) devices that mostly meet the current competition but don't blaze any new grounds. They'll show smartphones, and maybe even one or two that will ship on some carrier within a few months, but they won't be anything crazy.

You see, I think in one year they could AT the very least develop a high profile device using OMAP 4 technology. It could easily be done. Putting revolutionary features in it -- like the feature discussed here -- could take more R & D, but Palm has doubled in size with HP adding more talent (I believe at one time they transferred 120 people over at Palm -- that a lot of people). They COULD get a phone out, and as long as they design it well enough the companies they have making the phone(s) can make it decent.

But we will only see one "interesting" form factor. I doubt they could develop correctly radical designs with such sort amount of time.
    I'd get it
    its funny how all the rumors bring everyone out of the woodworks lol ltm ltm ltm
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

Agree I don't think they will match the top end android phones
    Nonsense. I think you've simply found the special Palm product targeted at their mysterious "fat middle" market segment.
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    They woouldnt do this, palm is to conservative to do a drastic hardware change like this. and theyd disspoint alot of people with a form factor like this. I think the masion will be a 4inch or 4.5 screen.
    Except it isn't palm anymore. It's HP. HP has full control over what "palm" used to be.
    4.3-4.5" is more than enough for a screen size, 5" i think is to big, I had the EVO, my wife and son still have them and it is just a perfect size. But both of them told me already when HP/Palm comes out with new phones they want them, they both love the webOS but hate the small screen Palm Pre currently has.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Two folding screens? I don't like the idea. I say one big screen would be able to do everything you just mentioned. Make it with a slide out keyboard and I'm buying it on launch day. 4"-4.5" is good for me, and I will never look back from buying it, but something with folding screens just seems like a move that is gonna scream look at me I'm different but don't really do anything new.
    GO BRONCOS!!!!

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by card0124 View Post
    I say one big screen would be able to do everything you just mentioned.
    The point of two screens is more screen estate, which is a crucial resource in a mobile device.

Together two 3.7" screens have more than 12 square inches of screen estate. One larger 4.3" EVO 4G screen has more than 8 square inches. So 50% more pocketable screen estate.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast