Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    ...I don't think they'll even match the high-end Android devices that were announced at CES...
    I agree. I don't think HP is going to focus on the $500 iPad market. They will be going after the corporate enterprise accounts. HP thinks a hospital would think nothing of spending $1000 per tablet for their doctors to make rounds.

If HP meant to focus on the US consumer market, they would have.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Where HP does have a big presence is in big corporate accounts.

If HP was going US consumer in March, they would have been at CES in January.

They will announce "enterprise synergy" on the 9th in the US and then consumer products for the rest of the world (ROW) showcased in Barcelona at MWC the next week.

ATT just announced 13 Androids and has iPhone.
    Verizon just announced 12 Android and just got iPhone.

Sprint has a competing conference to upstage HP on the 7th so there is no way that Sprint is doing anything big on the 9th.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/23/2011 at 04:18 PM.
    I agree. I don't think HP is going to focus on the $500 iPad market. They will be going after the corporate enterprise accounts. HP thinks a hospital would think nothing of spending $1000 per tablet for their doctors to make rounds.

If HP meant to focus on the US consumer market, they would have.
    Cameras? Printers? Major retail presence? Consumer market is (and should be) huge for HP... or did I misunderstand what you are saying.

I hope they go ater the low-cost market to compete with the huge flood of no-name android tablets that are starting to show up on shelves, including one for $169 that I saw at Frys last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Cameras? Printers? Major retail presence? Consumer market is (and should be) huge for HP... or did I misunderstand what you are saying.

I hope they go ater the low-cost market to compete with the huge flood of no-name android tablets that are starting to show up on shelves, including one for $169 that I saw at Frys last week.
    I agree that HP has a huge presence in other consumer markets.

It would be brilliant for HP to announce a line of phones aimed at the nearly 1 billion dumbphone users. Make them be "free" on contract or $139 on a no-contract like the Cricket Zio. Go world-wide. HP would dominate just like they do in $69 printers.

The cost of these phones is under $18. Sell them like calculators.

But the words this group will use on the 9th will be "deployment", "enterprise", "infrastructure", "convergence", and "synergy".
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/23/2011 at 05:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    This blew my mind for like 5 seconds, check out what at&t did with this palm pre plus
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Two screens sounds like a really bad idea, imho. I think the Mansion is real, but probably not at the Feb. event.
    Quote Originally Posted by rothoof View Post
    This blew my mind for like 5 seconds, check out what at&t did with this palm pre plus
    Interesting.. perhaps its the palm pre 2 plus available only on at&t? now with chrome back.

Nice little find in a ackwardly off topic post.
    Quote Originally Posted by rothoof View Post
    Wow, they made it into a "free camera phone..." That's disappointing.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Having two screens would be fun. It would be more fun if game developers took advantage of it to make Nintendo DS-style games. You would also have one screen entirely devoted to a keyboard when you need it. One screen could have all your dashboard items on all the time. Having two screens will bring multitasking squared, two apps running and usable at the same time.

It certainly is an interesting concept.
    I remember working as a game developer when we got the secret specs for the upcoming Nintendo DS.

Everyone, and I mean absolutely everyone, thought they were totally crazy for going dual screen. Dumbest idea ever, we thought.

It ended up being the biggest selling game system of all time.
    I got a dsi last x mass before last and I didn't really like it. The stylus is pain to use, but I guess I am 20 or so years out of their target market so it doesn't matter.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by Titan078; 01/24/2011 at 09:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Except it isn't palm anymore. It's HP. HP has full control over what "palm" used to be.
    Why is there always somebody that has to try and make this argument? It's inaccurate. HP came out and said that Palm would be in charge of all webOS software and device development. Whether or not the "Palm" logo remains, the developers and leaders at "Palm" are in charge of mobile webOS device and OS development.

Do you think that HP slapped some brainwashing device onto the head of the Palm management, design and programming employees when the acquisition went down? Palm's designers and developers still think the same way. They push the ideas to HP senior management for funding. HP senior management would not try to push ideas back onto Palm.

There's a reason HP put Palm in charge. It's because HP doesn't know anything about the mobile market, and they've proven it multiple times.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    "Another major goal with Enyo is the fact that it has to deal with the number of devices coming out of HP running webOS in the future. This is huge, because a massive pain points for developers right now, and in the coming years even more so, will be the need to handle many resolutions, dimensions, and capabilities for the touch world. By solving this problem in a unique way, Enyo makes this a strength. Scott Miles (or as I call him, The Architect) showed off an email client that is in “phone” mode (list of emails) when in a narrow window, but as soon as it got big enough (say, a tablet size resolution) the layout changed in real-time to offer a different view. Being able to share views, and have magic components that can even do a lot of the work for you, is fantastic when you think of building applications that span mobile and tablet (and others)."

Enyo shows us a some skin on Dion Almaer's Blog

Mobile, tablet and others? Could the others mean dual screen devices?
    I agree that HP has a huge presence in other consumer markets.

It would be brilliant for HP to announce a line of phones aimed at the nearly 1 billion dumbphone users. Make them be "free" on contract or $139 on a no-contract like the Cricket Zio. Go world-wide. HP would dominate just like they do in $69 printers.

The cost of these phones is under $18. Sell them like calculators.

But the words this group will use on the 9th will be "deployment", "enterprise", "infrastructure", "convergence", and "synergy".
    If they are going after enterprise, they'd better solve the calendar problem of only syncing 3 months at a time, enterprises will not stand for that disfunction, they need to plan longer term.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    If they are going after enterprise, they'd better solve the calendar problem of only syncing 3 months at a time, enterprises will not stand for that disfunction, they need to plan longer term.
    Only enterprises that use Google/Yahoo. Exchange (EAS) syncs two weeks back, unlimited forward. And Google also supports EAS.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    That is the most ridiculous joke of a phone I've ever seen. I can't believe Sprint wasted everyone's time releasing that piece of junk.
    Totally agree. At first, I was concerned about how they were hyping "simultasking" such that it would steal HP's ability to say that webOS is the only true-multitasking OS. Then I read this on Engadget:

"Interestingly, the Echo doesn't really run the optimized apps simultaneously when you have two of them open -- it quickly switches them in and out of hibernation, even though they're both displayed on screen. That means you can't do things like watch a video while writing an email, for example"

Seems like a joke to me.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Sprint kept this show two days before the HP announcements, because they wanted to steal some of HP's thunder. HP will release similar offerings, but Sprint will not get them.

Engadget info about multitasking in this Android phone is wrong. There are videos out there that show proper multitasking in two screens.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Well, if that's what Sprint has to 'steal HP's thunder' - I think they're in trouble. Short of HP/Palm coming out and saying that the Pre 2 is going to be released on Verizon and nothing else, there's no way that double screen toy phone from Kyocera will trump HP/Palm's offerings.
    its a truely ingenious idea for a phone, but is it practical in this day and age? and better yet will there be a demand for this new form factor in this time period? not but its ideas like that that move the phone industry forward, so my hats off to them...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast