Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Okay so im reading in my marketing text book, because I am a junior at Northern Arizona University getting a business degree, and I came across an interesting paragraph. I wanted to know where Palm falls in all of this. In the text it states that.

"Outstanding marketing companies go out of their way to keep important customers satisfied. Most studies show that higher levels of customer satisfaction lead to greater customer loyalty, which in turn results in better company performance. (Now here's the key part) SMART companies aim to delight customers promising only what they can deliver, then delivering more than they promise. Delighted customers not only make repeat purchases, they become "customer evangelists" who tell others about their good experiences with the product."

So what do you think? Has Palm done enough for you over the last two years or more to delight and deliver on promises or even surpass them and fall into the SMART company category according to the text or have they fallen drastically short. In my mind I have to say no. I feel let down in almost all facets of their marketing and promises. (webOS 2.0 by the end of the year anyone).
    Last edited by jwinn35; 01/22/2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Horrible initial grammar skills (I swear I really do know how to write).
    Hell no, they haven't!

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Hell no, they haven't!

Sent from my eVo
    I figured this would be the majority of the answers. I want to hear why people feel this way and especially would like to hear the arguments some of us have out there that they have in fact felt satisfied or are choosing to remain loyal.
    webOS 2.0 was out before the end of the year....
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    webOS 2.0 was out before the end of the year....
    I suppose you can look at it that way, but every time i read something about it, it always came off to me like they meant to the masses and not the few that actually have a pre 2.

"But in a recent interview, Palm CEO, Mr. Jon Rubinstein announced the launch of webOS 2.0 by this year end. Mr. Rubinstein believes the launch of webOS 2.0 will once again bring Palm back in the market."
    http://www.gadgetslane.com/palm-to-l...end-12370.html

Sounds like it was intended for everyone. How else could it "once again bring Palm back in the market"?

"Mr. Rubinstein affirmed that WebOS 2.0 will become available for download later this year."
    http://www.softsailor.com/news/34126...oming-too.html

That definitely doesn't sound like just the pre 2, because they don't have to download it, it comes with it. This was also after the HP buy out.
    Yo,

Most of the people I deal with are told they should get an iphone. That's because most people who ask me about phones obviously just want to fit in at starbucks.

Sometimes, though, I find a guy (or girl) who doesn't mind being thought less of for not being able to join in on showing off their new lighter app in the corner of the party where the four dudes do that sort of thing. Their pants are so tight. Is it even comfortable?

Anyway, when that happens, I tell them to consider waiting to see what hp does. If they can't wait, I say blackberry. That shiz is solid.

Peace,
    B.
    it is funny how the consumer behaviour changed with the iphone.
    A few years ago you would have a phone and use it. But today a phone is not just a tool, for most people it is a way of lifestyle. Show the world who you are with the phone you have.
    You can often see, when people are talking about phones, that they are defending the brand and phone as it is a part of their family or company. Many are even trying to convince/convert you to a brand and os.

I believe i am with palm, because it was cheap, smart and very handy (fits perfect in my palm). I also always like the underdog more than the mainstream.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    Okay so im reading in my marketing text book, because I am a junior at Northern Arizona University getting a business degree,
    My condolences (2010-2011 College Salary Report).

...and I came across an interesting paragraph. I wanted to know where Palm falls in all of this. In the text it states that.

"Outstanding marketing companies go out of their way to keep important customers satisfied. Most studies show that higher levels of customer satisfaction lead to greater customer loyalty, which in turn results in better company performance. (Now here's the key part) SMART companies aim to delight customers promising only what they can deliver, then delivering more than they promise. Delighted customers not only make repeat purchases, they become "customer evangelists" who tell others about their good experiences with the product."

So what do you think? Has Palm done enough for you over the last two years or more to delight and deliver on promises or even surpass them and fall into the SMART company category according to the text or have they fallen drastically short. In my mind I have to say no. I feel let down in almost all facets of their marketing and promises. (webOS 2.0 by the end of the year anyone).
    Over the past 2 years, Palm has not achieved this status except with a small fringe of potential customers. Palm had a more wide-spread evangelism in the 2000-2005 timeframe, but since the release of the Treo 700 series, their numbers have fallen off the cliff. In the tech community, the evangelical mantle has been passed to companies like Apple, perhaps HTC, and more precariously, RIM. In certain subsets of the tech community, HP has also earned this reputation (i.e. printers).
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    My condolences (2010-2011 College Salary Report).

Over the past 2 years, Palm has not achieved this status except with a small fringe of potential customers. Palm had a more wide-spread evangelism in the 2000-2005 timeframe, but since the release of the Treo 700 series, their numbers have fallen off the cliff. In the tech community, the evangelical mantle has been passed to companies like Apple, perhaps HTC, and more precariously, RIM. In certain subsets of the tech community, HP has also earned this reputation (i.e. printers).
    The pre was my first palm device so I had no idea what kind of following they had. So most of the ones still being loyal to palm are still from that era you think? I had nothing but windows mobile before webOS do needless to say I was blown away by it. I still can't wait to see what HP does but my pre was getting to old it seemed. I had it longer than I had any phone of mine so I made the switch to the evo but my thirty days isn't up till february 15th so I will get to see what the 9th has in store for us to decide if I want to go back or not.

Oh and that's why I'm going to be an actuary. It's always one of the top careers in the country. Good by awesome benefits, those kind of things.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    I'll let them know how much they owe you oh-so-important customers.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ok i'll bite

the concepts of underpromise/overdeliver and surprise/delight are awesome, and should be used more. palm had the opportunity to do both but did not. HP now has that same opportunity, and i hope that they do it and do it well.

psychology plays an important part in how we relate to experiences and product. apple is one of few companies that truly knows how to take advantage of the concept. webOS had/has so much potential, but its relations to the public and consumers-at-large was just so horribly mismanaged.

the momentum and mindshare that webOS had at CES 2009 was incredible. the problem, though, was that webOS was not ready to be released, even in June. i don't have insights into the inner-workings at palm, but based on my past experiences and how things played out, it just seems like another case of management and engineering/design living in two different realities. it's a typical scenario: management wants things done ASAP, but has unrealistic expectations. i've seen projects like that fail and people burnt-out more often than i care to. it's what happen when you overpromise, and end up underdeliver.

surprise & delight only happens when you are overprepared. and overpreparing can only happen if you have the time, resources, and don't have an unrealistic promise to fulfill. palm had neither, and painted themselves into a corner with the grandiose promises from both public-facing management figures as well as the marketing campaign.

this is why we see so much mediocrity. speed-to-market is important, but it's not the end-all. one just has to have one's ***** together before banging one's chest. pretending to be prepared is not going to cut it.
    The pre was my first palm device so I had no idea what kind of following they had. So most of the ones still being loyal to palm are still from that era you think? I had nothing but windows mobile before webOS do needless to say I was blown away by it. I still can't wait to see what HP does but my pre was getting to old it seemed. I had it longer than I had any phone of mine so I made the switch to the evo but my thirty days isn't up till february 15th so I will get to see what the 9th has in store for us to decide if I want to go back or not.

Oh and that's why I'm going to be an actuary. It's always one of the top careers in the country. Good by awesome benefits, those kind of things.
    There was a large (by the standards of those years gone by) community of Palm loyalists back in the day. Palm was up at the top of the smartphone game with RIM and Windows Mobile (ignoring the giant Nokia). Since around 2006 or 2007, Palm loyalists began admitting that the rest of the industry was evolving while Palm sat still. By the time the Pre came around, it was essentially a do-over for Palm - they had to start anew with a new customer base. Some of the old guard still hang out here hoping to see the remnants of Palm make a real turn-around.

Actuarial sciences, eh? Outstanding choice (#6 on most lists after 5 core engineering majors). You'll have your pick of jobs in a lot of career fields. I'd hire you sight unseen (with decent grades) for my modeling and simulation development business based on the 3 actuarials I have working for me now.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Lol, trust me no matter what my grades would say I would be the best person anyone could hire. Loyal caring and smart. I'm just used to not having to try in school and online classes are horrible. I wish I would have done traditional college and not have a baby my junior year of high school. Anyway I was still on presidents list last semester 4a and 1b.
    Last edited by jwinn35; 01/23/2011 at 01:15 PM.
    I think Palm's biggest problem is that they have underestimated how long it is going to take to do just about everything since Rubenstein joined again. Not sure whether that's his fault or not (correlation does not necessarily imply causation), but it feels like everything is taking longer than they expect. Maybe it was a cash shortage, followed by the HP acquisition that slowed everything down. In any case, it's going to be important to rebuild their reputation with customers. It's possible, but they have to plan to make it happen, rather than just hoping it will happen.

They are actually pushing technology pretty hard (not hardware, but software), and when you do that, everything takes longer than you expect. But customers generally don't care about that. They just want their expectations to be met. HP-Palm has to find a way to remain cutting-edge without also being high-risk. That probably means devoting a lot of people to the problem. I know they've had an influx since HP closed on the deal, but it's not totally clear that they have added a lot of webOS developers/testers. Sometimes I think they only have about five people working on it.

But as time moves on, and webOS becomes more and more mature, I think they'll be able to be more consistent in their delivery. It might take another year or two, though.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    not to be "That Guy,"

but the operative thing is "important customers."

Outstanding marketing companies go out of their way to keep important customers satisfied.
    So, to ask, "Is HP/Palm keeping you satisfied?" raises the question: are you an important customer?