1.    #1  
    Lets face it. It truly doesn't matter how great a product is but rather the amount of advertising done for it. For example Microsoft came out with Kinect and it is definitely innovative, it lied about a few things (being able to use it with Netflix) but they got the point across to many that "You gotta have it" What I'm trying to say is that, Hp can have a tablet that blows away the Ipad and the Galaxy tab and whatever else may be out there. But let's face it, if they market it the same way as the Pre and Pixi then we are doomed. Im sure most of us prefer Webos over Android or IOS but... Apple and Verizon gave you the "Gotta have it, Gotta Get it, and Need it now" and it obviously worked. Im not saying Hp should lie but rather come up with something not attempted before, Instead of putting it head to head with the competition they should just market it for what it is and what we are hoping it is, Great. Hopefully... We can see something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Lets face it. It truly doesn't matter how great a product is but rather the amount of advertising done for it. For example Microsoft came out with Kinect and it is definitely innovative, it lied about a few things (being able to use it with Netflix) but they got the point across to many that "You gotta have it" What I'm trying to say is that, Hp can have a tablet that blows away the Ipad and the Galaxy tab and whatever else may be out there. But let's face it, if they market it the same way as the Pre and Pixi then we are doomed. Im sure most of us prefer Webos over Android or IOS but... Apple and Verizon gave you the "Gotta have it, Gotta Get it, and Need it now" and it obviously worked. Im not saying Hp should lie but rather come up with something not attempted before, Instead of putting it head to head with the competition they should just market it for what it is and what we are hoping it is, Great. Hopefully... We can see something like that.
    In spite of Microsoft's advertising efforts, the Kin sold only a few thousand nation wide. In spite of Microsoft's herculean advertising efforts on Vista (>$300 million annually), Vista never took off.

Those are just two examples, from a successful and powerful company, showing that the solution to success is not advertising alone. You need a good product and good advertising to succeed. There are ample examples in the tech world where good products really took off despite the lack of advertising. Some that come to mind include Alienware (before they became part of Dell), Eve Online, the original Palm Pilot series, and Tivo.
  3.    #3  
    I actually sort of liked the kin 2 and would have been seriously considering it if not in a sprint contract
    Remember.... HP uses people like JayZ, Pharelle, Shaun White, Dr. Dre....... they might actually know what they are doing...
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall
    Lets face it. It truly doesn't matter how great a product is but rather the amount of advertising done for it.
    Also, where does the Pet Rock fit into your turd marketing theory? Or for that matter, where does the Palm Pre fit in? It seem no amount of advertising could get people to buy it.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 01/24/2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Response to deleted post
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Remember.... HP uses people like JayZ, Pharelle, Shaun White, Dr. Dre....... they might actually know what they are doing...
    Who are these people? Software engineers?
    I agree that advertising is half the battle. With Vista, what really hurt MS was the amount of criticism the product got on the internet from almost every source. This filtered down. When you load an upgrade and see your system slow to a craw, that doesn't help either. It took forever to get drivers. By the time it got remotely useful, it was too late to save the brand. Better to ditch it and move on to Windows 7.

In that same sense, its better for HP to ditch Palm and move on to its own branding. It's not advertising a product directly that's important, but building brands. Names matter. Attention to details matter. Apple is a master at this for a tech company. Look at how they create brands like Facetime, Retina screen, and simple brand names for products become iconic.

Palm attempted this with Synergy but i'm not sure this stuck. They never explained it well. Too bad they didn't give their version of multitasking a name. Visual Multitasking anyone? It's now a "feature" they can claim. While Just Type isn't something you want to shout about. They may as well say Just Work. I don't think many equate typing to fun. Names like the Pre or Pixi didn't work out.

At the same time, i don't think throwaway brands are the answer either. HTC, Samsung & others are good at this. Epic, Desire, Hero, Evo, etc. The list goes on. I think i saw something on Engadget today about the HTC Arrive for Sprint later. I'd stay away from too many names.

HP will make things easier to market if they stick to the same brand name for all carriers. Few brands as possible. TouchPad is a good name. Go with it. TouchPad phone could be another or the name of a 3.5-4" slab flagship phone. TouchPad Mini (pixi). Touchpad Pre. TouchPad Pro (landscape slider)

Every time HP markets the TouchPad, it benefits that brand. That's the brand they need to elevate along the level of "iphone"
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Branding often is nothing more than taking a popular name and sticking it on something else to make it popular - and trying not to hurt the original product. HTC did well with EVO on Sprint so the next phone, whatever it is, is the EVO Shift.

Beats Audio? On a tablet? Makes about 1/2 as much sense as putting it on a laptop. It reminds me of the old days when every car stereo had a graphic EQ and you would just arrange the sliders in a "V" pattern to make it sound "awesome". Before that, it was the "Loudness" button.
    It might sound good enough to listen to a movie with a friend. But the real power of Beats Audio (IMHO) is when you plug it in to external speakers. The sound would be awesome. I use shure in-ear monitors, and that would make a huge difference when listening with high-end audio. And, it's a gimmick to differentiate from the competition. The Beats Audio stuff on laptops sounds much better than any other high-end laptop I've heard.
    A little off topic, but is the Kinect even selling that well? Dispite all the advertising, I've never heard lots of buzz about it. A ton of people who have a 360 also have a Wii which has the motion sensing capability...

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

Quote Originally Posted by garnetlove View Post
    A little off topic, but is the Kinect even selling that well? Dispite all the advertising, I've never heard lots of buzz about it. A ton of people who have a 360 also have a Wii which has the motion sensing capability...
    I believe it sold or shipped 8 million.

Kinect sells 8 million - Gaming Age
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetlove View Post
    Yeah, you totally haven't been following the news on Kinect. Microsoft has had some of their best sales months ever since the release of Kinect. A lot of sites/blogs talk about it, how to hack with it, etc. It's always unavailable for me to demo at Best Buy since everyone is always playing with it.