Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys

This should be good news for Palm, this guy bringing something very special to the table.

Emblaze First Else UX engineer embraced by HP / Palm, magic ensues -- Engadget
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/21/2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: clarified title
    The OS looks great.. If this guy can incorporate some of what he's done into webOS .. All I got to say is HELL YEA!!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I would def like that ui added as a press and hold feature but it's nice to see people added to the team who think effectively outside of the box
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    I think this can be nothing but a good hire.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I was wondering whether this guy originally came from the PalmOS days? As this Embraze Else phone actually was done together with Access, the company that bought Palm Source (owner of PalmOS).
    Oh Wow...NICE Find and thanks for the link.

I love what it was doing in video and hope HP can figure out how to use it and add it transparently to webOS. February is looking better and better every day and I'm getting really excited. Sorli...
    I saw this phone last year sometime and was wondering what ever happened to it. He really describes it well when he says "Minority Report" action. Very futuristic and I like it. Lets get rid of the iPhone launcher style phone already.
    already merged and thus the confusion ensues

nice looking interface without a doubt. Anyone that says otherwise is lying to themselves.
    I haven't seen the video but I've read the article. HP/Palm having brought this gentlemen on board does nothing but strenghtens my inkling that HP/Palm are committed to making webOS better and different instead of a copy cat........Hey RIMM i'm looking at you. You're trying to copy & yet you're still getting left behind.

I can't wait to for Feb 9 and beyond. webOS is going get even better.

Are you trying to hurt me?
    So what do you guys think, is this guy good enough to replace Matias Duarte?
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    So what do you guys think, is this guy good enough to replace Matias Duarte?
    Based on what he did at the other place, his forward thinking will be welcomed and it'll help to continue to make webOS diff from the other OS'.

The heavy lifting is done. The framework, sheet rock, painting and first phase decorating has already taken place.

This gentleman will bring a different look that won't completely tear down the house, but redecorate in a meaningful manner.

Are you trying to hurt me?
    i love that he is working on one-handed designs. I believe a touchscreen should make working faster and more efficent!

I dont want to use both hands for simple tasks. webOS is going into the right direction with small phones, which "fits in your palm" and can be used nearly with just the thumb.
    I want some of that on my phone ! That's amazing.
    Yeah, that radial launcher is hella cool. Imagine that integrated into, say, a slow swipe down from the top of the screen. If the PalmPads really have rotating gesture areas, the hardware's already there... although I admit the PlayBook beat them to the punch in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    i love that he is working on one-handed designs. I believe a touchscreen should make working faster and more efficent!

I dont want to use both hands for simple tasks. webOS is going into the right direction with small phones, which "fits in your palm" and can be used nearly with just the thumb.
    The guy is really talented, but does webOS need more eye candy or more functionality at this point?
    I somewhat agree with that - the First Else UI really was a thing of beauty, but just because it LOOKS good doesn't mean it's good to use.

On the other hand, you people are reading too much into this hire - Palm hired a guy who worked at Emblaze to work on future webOS versions; they didn't buy the Else UI for use in webOS. There's a HUGE difference.
    it is sweet as it is at the moment, but if he can make some quickactions with nice ui, which raise up the functionality - i would like it

for example:
    browser: when you see a link you can press an hold it, which opens up a circular interface with options for sharing, opening in new browser, saving as fav/bookmark
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    Too bad pretty much everyone else on this forum wants a screen size that is unusable with just one hand/thumb.

it is just a 'trend', which will change soon. Most people want a smartphone to replace their net/notebook. With a bigger screen it makes more fun as with a smaller one. The iphone is seen as the standard of smartphones at the moment, because most consumer want one.
    But even with the iphonescreen you cant really work, it is ok for checking mail and small browsingtasks. For a real replacement you will need a screen as big as the ipad's.

In a few year phones will get smaller again, because the pads will be cheaper and in all kind of sizes. Phones wont try to replace your computer anymore, but to keep you uptodate.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast