1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Does anybody know of a program that will convert the SMS database into something readable on the PC. This would be usefull for the Phone histrory as well.

Thanks
    Just open the database from your Backup folder called SMS_database.pdb in a good text editor like TextPad and crop out the header. The file looks like it follows a simple format in the message section - You should be able to open the remainder of the file in Excel and have it convert the null characters into cell breaks. If Excel wont do this then use a good editor like TextPad to swap the single null characters for tabs.

The format appears to be <four null characters>phone number<null><1st name><null><2nd name><null>Message body<null>SMSh<null><null> <more inscrutable digits and nulls - always 21 characters ending in six nulls><line return>

Note: Line returns can appear in the message body section.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the information, but unfortunately I need a little more than that. I would like to retrieve the dates as well. If it was sent or received is also quite important.

I suspect that you would have to use the SMSapi to retrieve all the relevent info. My ideal would be to append the information retrieved to a jfile database from within the Treo itself.
    Without having the file in front of me, I'd guess the 21 character string at the end of the line contains that information - the phone must keep it somewhere! If you're lucky, it will be simple - a julian date (seconds since 00:00 on 1/1/70) in hex or something.

If I get a spare minute at home tonight, I'll have a play!

[Edited] You're not lucky. There's a document about the SMS library on www.handspring.com/developers under the Application Notes section. It goes into some detail about the format of the messages - the date's in Palm OS date format, if that's any help. Maybe if you post something on the Utilities thread - or get onto one of the developer forums - some kindly developer may either have something or knock something up for you!
    Last edited by Shaunpenton; 09/25/2002 at 02:42 AM.
    Shaun Penton
    Stockport, UK
    There is an app called "SMS Convert" in the thread below:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=96330

It allows you to extract your sms log into an excel file which can be saved and viewed on the Treo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions