Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If HP does indeed release new devices, toting webOS 2.x (or whatever), as soon as a month after their Feb 9 event why haven't they released an SDK to developers yet?

If new devices, sporting new resolutions and form factors are just around the corner shouldn't developers now be in the process of updating their apps to be compatible and/or working on new apps that are intended for 'tablet' devices?

Just food for thought ..
    Devs do have WebOS 2.x (or whatever). They've had it for quite a while now I believe.
    Sprint Love
    If I remember rightly initial iPad applications were low res iPhone versions. Maybe this is how its going to be for HPalm pad and other devices to start with
    Im not completely sure but I think depending on who it is. Certain developers have access to it. I don't know the rules about it but whoever DOES have the SDK, they aren't allowed to talk about it until the 2.0 SDK is released to the public. Part of a contract type of thing I think.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    If I remember rightly initial iPad applications were low res iPhone versions. Maybe this is how its going to be for HPalm pad and other devices to start with
    No. Developers had access to the iPad SDK months before the iPad was released. I think it was January they had access and the iPad was released in April.

The iPad launched with an iPad-specific app store.
    good point. Unless those in the early access programme are in the know. In which case i would expect a leak, or at least a knowing tease from at least one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    good point. Unless those in the early access programme are in the know. In which case i would expect a leak, or at least a knowing tease from at least one of them.
    I'd be too afraid to leak anything. They are under contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I'd be too afraid to leak anything. They are under contract.
    People in the Early Access program take the NDA very seriously.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Well, I'm fully aware of the early access program and 2.0 is probably available there and has been for quite some time, but an indication of when things are beginning to roll is when that SDK will be "publicly" available. That's what I'm most concerned about.

If HP is playing this game of limiting access up to the very last minute, that's bad business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    People in the Early Access program take the NDA very seriously.
    Exactly. Which is why we dont hear anything about future apps and features and all that good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Well, I'm fully aware of the early access program and 2.0 is probably available there and has been for quite some time, but an indication of when things are beginning to roll is when that SDK will be "publicly" available. That's what I'm most concerned about.

If HP is playing this game of limiting access up to the very last minute, that's bad business.
    Hopefully Feb. 9 will be the day they release 2.0 and the SDK to everyone. Hopefully.
    I agree i want 2.0. Till i switch to verizon and get a new device (high chance verizon probably gets it first or with sprint. Bu. I want free hotspot and i would get a 20% discount with verizon so id save alot compared to sprints 10 fee plus 30 fee for hotspot.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I agree i want 2.0. Till i switch to verizon and get a new device (high chance verizon probably gets it first or with sprint. Bu. I want free hotspot and i would get a 20% discount with verizon so id save alot compared to sprints 10 fee plus 30 fee for hotspot.
    IF you want a mobile hotspot, have you tried freeTether in Preware?
    No havent put preware on since i got a replacement. Waiting for 2.0. Ill check it out. If verizon doesnt get the hp phone id probably stick with sprint, but sprint has no plans of getting 4g in my area yet, verizon says late 2011 so im going to really weigh the prices. Ive been with sprint a while and sprint will be 85 plus taxes for insurance and premieum data and verizon will be 83 (assuming verizon doesnt count the data fee for discount, otherwise itd be less). Itll depend on the phones and status of 4g
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    There was practically no information released to developers prior to the unveiling of the iPad. Remember that prior to the January announcement, there was still only an assumption that Apple was going to launch a tablet and no knowledge of the name of the device nor its specs.

It was only after the January event that the SDK was made available to developers. They had something like 90 days to create the iPad versions of their apps. By the time the iPad shipped, there were 5000 custom apps for the device.

So, yes, announcing a brand new device and making it available in a month does not allow developers to do very much with their apps. Either HP thinks that it only needs to let a few developers write key apps for launch or the idea that the tablet will come in March is just fantasy.

And, no, the SDK can't automatically make your smartphone app look like it was designed for a tablet by scaling everything up and rearranging the user interface.

That's kind of my point. If the release date isn't until this fall then that's fine and makes perfect sense, but most here believe were looking at a March release. If that's the case, that gives developers just a little over a month. Not feasible.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    And, no, the SDK can't automatically make your smartphone app look like it was designed for a tablet by scaling everything up and rearranging the user interface.
    The Enyo presentation appears makes it appear that the new framework will allow the developers to create apps that do that.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    The Enyo presentation appears makes it appear that the new framework will allow the developers to create apps that do that.
    It does, but developers still need to implement the UI.
    So? The developers who don't want to bother updating their apps for the new webOS framework are going to be in the same boat as the iOS developers who didn't want to bother making iPad aware apps. One would assume that Palm and the early access developers are working to port their apps to the new framework in order to make them tablet aware.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    So? The developers who don't want to bother updating their apps for the new webOS framework are going to be in the same boat as the iOS developers who didn't want to bother making iPad aware apps. One would assume that Palm and the early access developers are working to port their apps to the new framework in order to make them tablet aware.
    Who know's if that's how things will be setup? There's been no indication to either side, whether all previous apps will be "compatible" and scale up, like iPhone apps on the iPad or they'll be incompatible altogether.
    Here's how it's prolly going to go. Enyo will be the framework for which apps for the tablet will be built as well as the phones if a dev chooses to go that route. Right now, I would bet that HP's "strategic partners" have access to Enyo and have been using it since Nov to build apps. "Regular" devs who were granted access to the 2.0 early access program are currently building apps. All you have to do is read the P/C home page over the last couple of weeks to see the previews or follow their Twitters.

I would venture a guess that on Feb 9, the apps from those "strategic partners" will be unveiled. At that point, Enyo will likely be released in beta form, ala the PDK, likely in March. I think March was mentioned at HP Dev Days in NYC. I would also guess that either on Feb 9 or shortly after 2.5 SDK will be public.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast