Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'm baffled by any attempts to take on windows in the netbook space.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Just realized HP would be smart to send out webos 2.0 (2.1? 2.2?) update to current phones before the iphone is available on Verizon, in order to create a moment of pause and rethink in those pre owners planning to switch.
    LOL!

I needed a good laugh today.
    I don't understand the "not too amazing" comment when no reasons why or specs were posted along with it.

Did I miss something cause all I have seen is leaked specs on tablets, not phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Just realized HP would be smart to send out webos 2.0 (2.1? 2.2?) update to current phones before the iphone is available on Verizon, in order to create a moment of pause and rethink in those pre owners planning to switch.

February 2 (2/2) is only a few days away...hmmm
    I'm sure Hpalm didn't wait this long to not get in the smarthphone business.
    What is HP's Palm division planning to introduce on Feb. 9, 2011? - Quora –*I find Scoble's comment to be quite interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    What is HP's Palm division planning to introduce on Feb. 9, 2011? - Quora *I find Scoble's comment to be quite interesting.
    Finally something about HPalm smarthphones, no matter how abstract
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    LOL. No offense, but HP would probably pay another $1.2 billion to have the "problems" Android has. Doesn't seem to be affecting developer interest.
    lol, no offense, but you quote "problems" as if android is somehow free of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    lol, no offense, but you quote "problems" as if android is somehow free of them.
    Not at all. Android is hardly perfect or free from problems. They are grasping with the same issues, but because the basic spec includes multi-orientation and only touchscreen input for almost all apps, it's not any sort of showstopper...yet.

This is only a "problem" because they have been so wildly and explosively successful. That is why I use quotes. It's not an obstacle to their success and appeal to developers - like I see HP's being - but rather a symptom and indicator of that success.

Think about it...Android's diversity in hardware and screen resolution was a natural byproduct of its success. As more manufacturers got onboard, they sought ways to differentiate their products from each other, so some fragmentation occurred. Regardless, the vast majority of Android devices run 2.x which is the current base OS spec that developers target for. By contrast, HP looks to introduce the combined confusion of all of those manufacturers to a platform that hasn't established the consumer demand or developer need for it yet.
    Good god, someone needs to leak something about phones already... I don't really care about tablets too much, I just need to replace my dying launch day Pre!
    anyone else notice their is a webOS 2.0 only app in the app store today? I wonder of that means anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    anyone else notice their is a webOS 2.0 only app in the app store today? I wonder of that means anything?
    Lol, yeah it means the Pre2 is out. JK, I hope it means 2.x is just around the corner and not due in "the coming months".

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    [QUOTE=sinime;2839621]Lol, yeah it means the Pre2 is out. JK, I hope it means 2.x is just around the corner and not due in "the coming months".

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=

I though we couldn't see 2.0 apps in the app catalog. Just like the PDK apps when 1.4.5 came out?
    i think considering their position in the market i think "amazing" is exactly what they really need especially in the phone market. I don't think just matching specs of the competition is enough. I think the selling factor of these phones and tablets isn't about specs it's about what you can do with the phone. So i don't care that much about specs. I think they need to offer something to wow people that nobody else does. Like, facetime did or HD video recording did or adding apps did. I think Derek Kessler or Kieth said, in the podcast #133 about 22:40 seconds in, said it best when he said, regarding tablets, "specs don't matter. What matters is the user experience." I asked my brother and his family what processor speed was in any of their like 15 tech devices, laptops, phones, etc. Not a single one knew. Or the ram. Only one knew the storage of their ipod. So i think for average consumer it's less the specs that sell the phone and more the simple stuff. like does it read my kindle book or something similar. That more user experience stuff is where it think they need the wow factor. Like Voice activated search from google. That kind of "ooh that is very cool" factor. But I think they do need to offer something that to the average consumer is amazing, which stands out. They need a wow factor.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 01/26/2011 at 11:45 PM.
    so why are some people saying that it could be a good second phone? Could it be that HP is giving away free storage in the cloud? So you buy the ecosystem. And perhaps Amazon is the store partner. Then once there is enough installed base, Hulu, Netflix and the others hop on board. (pure speculation)
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    I though we couldn't see 2.0 apps in the app catalog. Just like the PDK apps when 1.4.5 came out?
    Not in the app catalog on the phone, but in the offical list of all available apps... http://www.precentral.net/app_gallery-app_catalog

I'm not sure which app is supposed to be for 2.x and above, but that's probably what he was talking about.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345