Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    "nothing to amazing" considering what just came out CES and what people now expect... nothing to amazing shoudl be pretty kick but on this OS... It's like going to a car show and going straight to the lambos and looking at them for an hour straight.... then you walk around the rest of the car show... and say... nothing really blew me out of the water.

dual core/ 1.2Ghz phone front and back camera... and AUTOFOCUS... is nothing to amazing anymore considering there are 24 Andriod phones with these specs... but would be amazing with WebOS
    amen
    i'd be infinitely happy with a 1ghz pixi, a few hundred hours invested in tweaking the OS, and a wifi only palmpad to tether to the pixi.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I think the problem with the phone sector right now is that everyone has access to the same off-the-shelf components and are having them put together in the same factories. You can only do so much innovation when you have to rely on your suppliers to push the envelope. Only apple owns a significant piece of the supply chain (their processors) to be able to sway innovation without having to share it with their competitors. Until HP/HTC/Samsung or anyone else starts producing their own optics/radio boards/processors and utilizing their own factories, the market will just continue to commoditize the components.
    Quote Originally Posted by wotan View Post
    I think the problem with the phone sector right now is that everyone has access to the same off-the-shelf components and are having them put together in the same factories. You can only do so much innovation when you have to rely on your suppliers to push the envelope. Only apple owns a significant piece of the supply chain (their processors) to be able to sway innovation without having to share it with their competitors. Until HP/HTC/Samsung or anyone else starts producing their own optics/radio boards/processors and utilizing their own factories, the market will just continue to commoditize the components.
    But even Apple uses the same ARM architecture that others use. So while they do build their own chips instead of using TI or Qualcomm it's still a licensed ARM structure, which is to say that its no different that what TI or Qualcomm provides. Its just that Apple just like Samsung saves money by manufacturing their own chips.

But you're right in that everyone has access to the same components so it's hard for one manufacturer to really standout in terms of components when those same components are available to your competitors. That is why I don't understand when you have some scream that HP should go beyond and do something more than 1.2 GHZ processor. The same process HP has access to it's competitors also have access to those processors as well. You're never going to be two steps ahead.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    But even Apple uses the same ARM architecture that others use. So while they do build their own chips instead of using TI or Qualcomm it's still a licensed ARM structure, which is to say that its no different that what TI or Qualcomm provides. Its just that Apple just like Samsung saves money by manufacturing their own chips.
    Right, except for the fact that Apple has invested heavily in the entire vertical of silicone. They now have the capability to design, test and manufacture their own chips. Just because they haven't yet doesn't mean they aren't planning to... I'm guessing they just haven't had the time yet to usher their homegrown stuff through R&D. The whole point is that they are the only ones that really have a chance of getting 2-steps ahead.

They also have the buying power to guarantee exclusivity if they want it. Why does the iPhone4 still have the best optics? Because Apple decided they had to and spent the money to lock it up.

I'm not an Apple fan but their long-term strategy is certainly paying off right now.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    nothing has been said about new phones, crap what i wouldnt do for at least one design and spec leak about new phones LOL
    Duetschland Uber Alles
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    For most people the pre or pre2 are outdated hardware, there are even sliders with keyboards, this is soo yesterday. Or a pixi with its tiny display and no facecam and just the 1mpx camera on the back. Pfff this is something for granny.

At the moment all other "top of the notch"-devices are on the same wave. No keyboard, one bigh screen, some bigger some apple's. The pre and pixi with its keyboards are not mainstream. 1GHz or 1,2GHz (which i believe will be used) are also no big deal at the moment. 1GB RAM is also nothing which would popp out eyes of anybody.

So what if there is a pixi 2 with slightly bigger screen, front cam, 5mp backcam, better speaker, 1800mA battery, scratchproof-display,1GB RAM, 1,2 GHz (witch can be OC to 1,8 :P) same design*. Most will say, noting to amazing, I would say: Holy macarony!!!

* cool would be also a backcover out of aluminium. Just the HP Palm logo is a cricle of plastic for the touchstone and on the left and right sight there are some rubber parts build in for the detachment.

An Pre 3 half the thickness of the pre2 with 2GHz and 1GB Ram would also be not so amazing, but i bet there would be lots of pre users which would love it.
    wat
    I agree that you have to take it in context. The rest of the smartphone world has moved on to dual-core Tegra 2-touting beasts. If we see a Palm smartphone with, say, the same processor a DROID 2 has at the same 1.2GHz clock speed, and some really awesome battery with stellar build quality, I'd say that was great. However, Android fans would probably say, "that's so one week ago."

So, go figure.
    to say that again....NOBODY needs more hardware-power than a Pre2 has at the moment. This device is running _absolutely_ flawless with webOS 2.0.1

The things that take their time (some apps start not THAT fast), are things with the OS that needs to be tweaked. But there is not a lot you can do on the specification-front from a Pre2 standpoint (add compass and gyro and solidify the slider, ok...).
    i think we r forgetting that essentially, the Palm purchase by HP was just finalized what, 3 months ago? HP is a global leader for computer tech(like apple), and id say over the next year, with a few updates, webos will b the most flawless, sexy piece of mobileOS that anyone and everyone will come to see. add in a few pieces of hardware that was said to be delivered over the next 12 months and BOOOOOOOOOOM, standout platform. i would GLADLY take a new device with even a 1GHz chipset, upgraded camera, etc. if it was pushed and then use my yearly sprint upgrade for what they have next. i think people r forgetting the most important thing here which i believe HP is going after... Quality over Quantity
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    HP is a global leader for computer tech(like apple)
    Very different, Apple is a high-end, high margin seller trading off brand equity, indeed they were able to increase margins last year. HP is a very successful shifter of grey boxes at high volumes and low margins - very different business model. That's why it will be interesting to see how HP try and pitch this and if they can convince people that they are more than someone who pushes out endless forgettable (but successful in that high volume low margin marketplace) products.
    Humpf... Foolish!

To be "attonish", the H/Palm can to be this things:

=> Ads;

=> Sell Web OS devices in ALL world;

=> Ads;

=> Launch the Pre+ and/or "Pixi Boosted" with LOW prices WITHOUT carriers subsids;

=> Ads;

=>

Explain: The REAL sucess is MASSIFY some system, because have the best system, with the best hardware and the best apps is NOTHING without customers to use/buy/comment!!

And the peoples just buy what:

=> First: CAN find to buy;

=> Second: KNOW that exist;

=> Third: LISTEN from somebody (whatever who) that is good, be true or not!

Was the Apple did: first; with the IPods selled in all countries, and after with the IPhones; begining in USA, but could sell in all world... and; of course, ads, ads, ads...

Just this...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Very different, Apple is a high-end, high margin seller trading off brand equity, indeed they were able to increase margins last year. HP is a very successful shifter of grey boxes at high volumes and low margins - very different business model. That's why it will be interesting to see how HP try and pitch this and if they can convince people that they are more than someone who pushes out endless forgettable (but successful in that high volume low margin marketplace) products.
    I wounder this too, though not only I for years, but my company for years contracts Laptops, and desktop HP computers and they are not only very well designed, but the qualty is astounding. My girl has a apple macbook pro, and a ipad and I really prefer using the HP Pavillion I own because the computer to me is still a better product then apples. I know HP sells in bulk, but Im pretty sure their high end model products compete very well with Apples high end products.
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    to say that again....NOBODY needs more hardware-power than a Pre2 has at the moment. This device is running _absolutely_ flawless with webOS 2.0.1
    I think the screen hardware is out-of-date by any current standard.

The things that take their time (some apps start not THAT fast), are things with the OS that needs to be tweaked.
    Hopefully - or it's just something fundamental about the OS that we'll all have to get used to.

But there is not a lot you can do on the specification-front from a Pre2 standpoint (add compass and gyro and solidify the slider, ok...).
    ...and the screen resolution. Oh, and a faster processor to deal with those pesky "apps start not THAT fast" issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmleonar View Post
    i think we r forgetting that essentially, the Palm purchase by HP was just finalized what, 3 months ago?
    If by "3", you mean more than twice as many as in "7", then sure.

HP is a global leader for computer tech(like apple), and id say over the next year, with a few updates, webos will b the most flawless, sexy piece of mobileOS that anyone and everyone will come to see.
    I think people have been saying that since late June 2009. And yes, with many upgrades, it could be amazing. But we just haven't seen those upgrades of yet (even with WebOS 2.0 from reports in the Palm Pre 2 forum), and HP seems focused on tablets moreso than phones.
    I'm just really surprised that with all the Topaz/Opal tablet leaks coming through in the last couple of weeks, there has yet to be one substantial leak regarding a handset...ANY handset (aside from that bit about a small "teen" phone). I'll have a one month window in March to upgrade due to the changes in the Premier program, so I'm eager to find out if I need to look into an Android phone...or if there will be a big enough incentive to maybe pay a little more and get a webOS phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I wounder this too, though not only I for years, but my company for years contracts Laptops, and desktop HP computers and they are not only very well designed, but the qualty is astounding. My girl has a apple macbook pro, and a ipad and I really prefer using the HP Pavillion I own because the computer to me is still a better product then apples. I know HP sells in bulk, but Im pretty sure their high end model products compete very well with Apples high end products.
    I don't think anybody really competes with Apple's highend computers. The last stat I read said that Apple locked up about 80-90 percent of the $1,000+ computer market. The Envy line are essentially KIRF Macbooks with Beats Audio.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    You are talking about the physical character of a product, I'm talking about brand perception and value and the margins that allows. I'm sure HP's high-end machines are pretty good but I would they think accounts for a fraction of their business and they are having to compete against other PC makers margins.

If you want to use Apple's OS, then you buy from apple and that's the start and end of it - which is how they control margins and also managed to buck the trends last year and increase margins. This is what a lot of people don't understand when they say "Apple should put out a $300 computer, they'd clean up", Apple has no interest or need to get involved into the race to the bottom that PCs makers have to - indeed to do so would seriously erode their brand equity and split their focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    If you want to use Apple's OS, then you buy from apple and that's the start and end of it - which is how they control margins and also managed to buck the trends last year and increase margins. This is what a lot of people don't understand when they say "Apple should put out a $300 computer, they'd clean up", Apple has no interest or need to get involved into the race to the bottom that PCs makers have to - indeed to do so would seriously erode their brand equity and split their focus.
    Agreed and all true...but I still wish they had a little more...um...diversity. They have three of four versions of the iPod, but only one iPhone and one iPad per generation. I wonder if there's not an opportunity for Apple to look at other form factors. I know...why change a good thing or fix what ain't broke? But there is the "i don't want to be one among tens of millions of folks with exactly the same device" factor to consider.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Agreed and all true...but I still wish they had a little more...um...diversity. They have three of four versions of the iPod, but only one iPhone and one iPad per generation. I wonder if there's not an opportunity for Apple to look at other form factors. I know...why change a good thing or fix what ain't broke? But there is the "i don't want to be one among tens of millions of folks with exactly the same device" factor to consider.

Well, it's a valid argument that they should do more but I think the apple mind-set is that they put out a limited number of clearly identifiable products and they concentrate on getting them right than backing out 100s of products who are largely similar but also differ in some confusing way.

This is why it's interesting to see if HP can convince people that WebOS has any value and they should buy into it.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast