Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    HP seems to be putting all their efforts into tablets, maybe because that market is still developing and they have a better chance of making a splash. They probably hope that the synergy between their tablets and phones will then make the phones more attractive. Personally, I just want a darned Pre 2. Come on Verizon, whats the hold-up?
    tablets to sell phones, probably.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    In fact, I AM very happy with my Pre2.

Don't even think, I would exchange it for a webOS phone comparable to the iPhone 4, if they would release one now.

I'm pretty sure, my Pre2 is forward compatible to at least 1 year of webOS updates from now, because of it's relatively high power.
    And the device itself is really a pleasure to use!

So I have time to watch out for a webOS device that really tackles my senses...

I had the Pre, the Pre+ and now the Pre2, every upgrade was worth it. Let's see what's coming down the road
    As far as i am informed you dont have to be afraid of updates in the future, but not because of the more power you got.
    The next webOS will use enyo, which is less hardwarehungry and faster/better. webOS will hopefully not blow up like windows (xp 100mb ram, win7 1gb ram), but become smooth and quick
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    For most people the pre or pre2 are outdated hardware, there are even sliders with keyboards, this is soo yesterday. Or a pixi with its tiny display and no facecam and just the 1mpx camera on the back. Pfff this is something for granny.

At the moment all other "top of the notch"-devices are on the same wave. No keyboard, one bigh screen, some bigger some apple's. The pre and pixi with its keyboards are not mainstream. 1GHz or 1,2GHz (which i believe will be used) are also no big deal at the moment. 1GB RAM is also nothing which would popp out eyes of anybody.

So what if there is a pixi 2 with slightly bigger screen, front cam, 5mp backcam, better speaker, 1800mA battery, scratchproof-display,1GB RAM, 1,2 GHz (witch can be OC to 1,8 :P) same design*. Most will say, noting to amazing, I would say: Holy macarony!!!

* cool would be also a backcover out of aluminium. Just the HP Palm logo is a cricle of plastic for the touchstone and on the left and right sight there are some rubber parts build in for the detachment.

An Pre 3 half the thickness of the pre2 with 2GHz and 1GB Ram would also be not so amazing, but i bet there would be lots of pre users which would love it.
    you started off strong but when you said half the thickness of a pre 2 with a 2GHz and said not amazing you messed up. 2ghz is more than nearly every netbook and a lot of laptops. There is no phone to date that has anything more than 1.2 dual core. So that would definitely be amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I disagree. I think if they'd made a device as thin as an iPhone 4 and amazing looking, the tipster would have raved about it. Nothing too amazing is something slightly better than the Pre2.
    Nothing too amazing is something that imitates an iPhone4 too. Not that there's anything wrong with an iPhone 4, BUT...... if it has equal specs....THEN ....there's NOTHING TOO AMAZING about it, is there?

and also DON'T FORGET.....they may be coming out with 1 or 2 phones for NOW....with another 3-4 later throughout the course of the year....

Whatever gets unveiled isn't the end of the line.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by gmleonar View Post
    i heard its a local sprint rep...
    Actually, it's the Sprint Rep's paper buy and the guy that mows his yard.
    Quote Originally Posted by hangman0000 View Post
    you started off strong but when you said half the thickness of a pre 2 with a 2GHz and said not amazing you messed up. 2ghz is more than nearly every netbook and a lot of laptops. There is no phone to date that has anything more than 1.2 dual core. So that would definitely be amazing
    i am sorry, i meant also 1,2GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by hangman0000 View Post
    Who is currently selling a dual-core phone? I thought that only tablets had been designed with dual cores as of CES. Did I miss something? Wouldn't be the first time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Who is currently selling a dual-core phone? I thought that only tablets had been designed with dual cores as of CES. Did I miss something? Wouldn't be the first time...
    The Motorola Atrix!
    Motorola Mobility and AT&T Announce ATRIX™ 4G, the Future of Mobile Computing

That thing is a mini computer! You can even connect to your company servers via CTRIX using the dock or the laptop dock. Everything runs from the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Currently selling? None. Upcoming this year? A few.
    Banned for making up a smiley face that doesn't exist in the title(there's only happy face devils, no frowny face devils )..........damn wrong thread.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    as long it's at least same specs as iPhone 4 or better.....really at this point I need SOME SORT of new phone as the old sprint pre's are dying fast. Had to pay $100 to asurion for a replacement pre...way past warranty. Build quality was good can't tell if it was a refurb.

But please, a new phone STAT.
    As far as i am informed you dont have to be afraid of updates in the future, but not because of the more power you got.
    The next webOS will use enyo, which is less hardwarehungry and faster/better. webOS will hopefully not blow up like windows (xp 100mb ram, win7 1gb ram), but become smooth and quick
    Also according to the developer presentation it has better memory handling so less leaks which means less chance of the too many cards business.

The new features that apply cross device sound pretty exciting. Coming home, setting your phone down on a touchstone and then picking up the tablet to have your txts and calls sent there automatically. Plus cloud storage so memory for apps etc is less of an issue. Also bumping an app from one device to another, if it maintains the same state it was in would be pretty amazing.

I can't wait for the 9th!
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    If you're going to quote a post, don't change the quote.

"Nothing amazing" and "Nothing too amazing" I take in two totally different ways.

Would you call a nexus S amazing if it were released with WebOS? I would but compared to the dual-cores its nothing too amazing to some people.
    I completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I disagree. I think if they'd made a device as thin as an iPhone 4 and amazing looking, the tipster would have raved about it. Nothing too amazing is something slightly better than the Pre2.
    The Pre 2 has some amazing hardware, and with the features from the tablet, it will make up some of the lacking features. I hope this new version of WebOS brings an updated email app and just better built in apps. Even if they just improve the email app, that could be a killer feature that will make me want a WebOS device even more.

Plus those features are amazing. Music synergy. Being able to answer my phone with my tablet. Being able to instantly teleport anywhere in the world ... oh wait, that wasn't in there . But really, if the tablets rock and they fix some of the things currently wrong with WebOS -- that is a good new start.
    I don't know about you guys but:
    Opal will measure 180 x 144 x 13 mm and have a 1024x768 WXGA resolution screen. It's still apparently slated for a September launch.
    Topaz will measure 241 x 190 x 13 mm, with "identical pixel resolution*, which would work out to around 1316 x 936, but we would prefer a bigger 1440 x 900 WSXGA on a larger tablet ourselves.
    Both are purported to support some form of wireless charging via a Touchstone-style dock and premium audio via HP's now-favorite Beats tech. It's supposed to launch "3 months sooner" but we're still holding out that HP will stick to their "early 2011" hints.

Rumored software features come both via tipsters and a survey that seems to hint at HP's plans:
    "tens of gigabytes" of cloud storage
    As we previously guessed, HP may be using those gigabytes of cloud storage to store app states and saved documents to easily switch and share apps and games between devices.
    Exhibition-style features that appear when docked
    "Tap-to-share," a feature that lets you transfer files by bumping the devices together
    Flash support (no surprise)
    Confirmation of our guess that you will be able to forward calls and texts from phone to tablet
    Cloud storage for music
    Sounds freakin' awesome to me. I know those are tablet based but that means that all the tablet stuff syncs with your phone. Foleo concept is finally being emitted.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    they said the same with webOS 2.x (gpu acceleration will speed up the phone) but as it seems, it isn't really more lightweight because of lots of new features that come additional to 1.x

So I'm not entirely sure about that. But you could be right, would be a great pleasure! :-)
    "Nothing too amazing" is quite a subjective statement. I caution everyone to understand that - had he/she backed that up with some of the top specs/attributes of the handsets he/she saw, then at least we could judge for ourselves to be able to agree or disagree.

Im of the mind that HP is deliberately "leaking" old renderings and information to the press, to keep the market interested and to keep expectations down, so that they can surprise to the upside with some amazing devices that surpass anything available today, and in the months to come - its just a guess, but, now that JR has some cash and deep resources behind him, I believe this would be his MO.

Feb 9th can't come soon enough, and we will see, for sure, what HP and Palm have been cooking up for the past 7 months.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I really think the word "amazing" gets used far too much in tech discussions these days. It has become totally meaningless. So something being "amazing" or "not too amazing" says absolutely nothing. I can be amazed by a spec of dust if I stare at it long enough, or bored by the Atrix. Depends more on my mood and caffeine level than the object of my amazement or non-amazement.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Given that the amazing piece is likely to be platform independent cloud services, I'm not concerned. In that ecosystem, a phone doesn't need to be amazing, just god enough. HTC and Motorolla only have the phone. They have to continuously push the envelope on hardware specs. HP and Apple both offer so much more. A solid phone with smooth animation, standard clock speed and peripheral features in a variety of form factors is all they need to put out there. The ecosystem and OS are the selling points.
    "nothing to amazing" considering what just came out CES and what people now expect... nothing to amazing shoudl be pretty kick but on this OS... It's like going to a car show and going straight to the lambos and looking at them for an hour straight.... then you walk around the rest of the car show... and say... nothing really blew me out of the water.

dual core/ 1.2Ghz phone front and back camera... and AUTOFOCUS... is nothing to amazing anymore considering there are 24 Andriod phones with these specs... but would be amazing with WebOS
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast