Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I made my original Palm C40 mockup and a few things have changed since then. We're all eagerly awaiting February 9th, and I've taken some time to think about two words: "Think beyond."

So that's what I've done today. A lot has been discussed - printers, televisions, netbooks, toasters - but since I'm a photographer, what about cameras? I decided to create this mockup to kind of get the ball rolling on a "think beyond" discussion. So, here are some side notes on the device pictured:

• The image with the screen on shows the device in PLAYBACK mode - capture mode will obviously need much more powerful controls.
    • webOS is powerful enough to allow some serious editing of the photos - especially with a big, brilliant Super AMOLED screen.
    • A fast processor will be required to chew through large image files.
    • I really liked the idea of being able to tag your contacts, etc. I think there are a lot of possibilities in this direction.
    • A device like this needs geotagging. How about support with google maps right on the camera? (or other devices, of course)
    • Why the Gorilla Glass? First of all it's a great material - but also significant is that HP already has a partnership with the company with the Palm Pre 2.
    • Products like these would lead customers to purchase other webOS devices in order to reap the benefits of the ecosystem.
    • This camera would need some sort of internal storage for times when no network coverage is available, etc.

That's all I got for now - I hope you enjoy it! By the way, if anybody from HP/Palm sees this and wants to hire me - I won't say no!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David Vogt - Founder and administrator of Photography Union
    Follow me on Twitter! --- Add me on Facebook!
    Love the idea!!! keep em coming...
    WOW, just WOW. BTW I did like the C40 mockup you did also. You definitely need to be hired by HPalm for design and marketing usage.

Thanks for keeping the hype up for the possibilities of webOS.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    pretty cool idea. How about WiFi instead of a 3G radio? (don't 3G radios need data plans ($$), of some kind?)
  5.    #5  
    I was thinking more along the lines of WiFi AND 3g. Thanks for your input!
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidVogt View Post
    Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I made my original Palm C40 mockup and a few things have changed since then. We're all eagerly awaiting February 9th, and I've taken some time to think about two words: "Think beyond."

So that's what I've done today. A lot has been discussed - printers, televisions, netbooks, toasters - but since I'm a photographer, what about cameras? I decided to create this mockup to kind of get the ball rolling on a "think beyond" discussion. So, here are some side notes on the device pictured:

• The image with the screen on shows the device in PLAYBACK mode - capture mode will obviously need much more powerful controls.
    • webOS is powerful enough to allow some serious editing of the photos - especially with a big, brilliant Super AMOLED screen.
    • A fast processor will be required to chew through large image files.
    • I really liked the idea of being able to tag your contacts, etc. I think there are a lot of possibilities in this direction.
    • A device like this needs geotagging. How about support with google maps right on the camera? (or other devices, of course)
    • Why the Gorilla Glass? First of all it's a great material - but also significant is that HP already has a partnership with the company with the Palm Pre 2.
    • Products like these would lead customers to purchase other webOS devices in order to reap the benefits of the ecosystem.
    • This camera would need some sort of internal storage for times when no network coverage is available, etc.

That's all I got for now - I hope you enjoy it! By the way, if anybody from HP/Palm sees this and wants to hire me - I won't say no!
    I like all these ideas. I was wondering if HP would make cameras, and if they do imagine being able to auto-send to your WebOS printer after you edit them? That way it's instantly being printed, no matter where you are.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Very nice looking. Don't mean to rain on any parades but no way are you going to fit a 5x "OPTICAL" zoom on anything that looks like that. Needs to have a lens that protrudes, probably at least an inch out from the face to get a decent image. I wouldn't mind a zoom-less version though.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    Very nice looking. Don't mean to rain on any parades but no way are you going to fit a 5x "OPTICAL" zoom on anything that looks like that. Needs to have a lens that protrudes, probably at least an inch out from the face to get a decent image. I wouldn't mind a zoom-less version though.
    Actually, it's done through folded optics and it's very possible. The Nikon S60, for example, has a 5x optical zoom through folded optics.
    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post

why not the Nikon L12 does optical 5x and doesn't have a lens sticking out

also what he ^ said
    Last edited by Major Payne; 01/19/2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: ooops
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    This gets me thinking of possibilities stretching what's hypothesized right now and still well within HP's wheelhouse. There has been a trend in smartphones to bigger devices, so why not do something that is an uber-device? HP makes some decent point and shoot cameras, so why can't they put a moderately high resolution, optical focus lens with a fully developed camera control system in a larger webOS smartphone. I'm actually thinking here so something the average person would view as a legitimate replacement to a point and shoot camera.

Gargoyle
    multi-function devices will not fully replace the need for single function
  12.    #12  
    Gargoyle - you make some good points. I think all manufacturers are pushing towards smartphone cameras that rival dedicated cameras. There are, however, a few limitations. The reason why dedicated cameras take significantly better is because they have much larger sensors and better lenses than those used in phones. A true optics system with zoom would make a phone significantly less portable - a tradeoff perhaps so big that most consumer wouldn't be willing to make it. Even the smallest folded optics design is MUCH thicker than any smartphone out right now.

Thanks for your thoughts! I sure hope cellphone cameras get significantly better in the near future.
    I like your designs and I was thinking about WebOS on other things.So I made a forum for it.Check it out.Maybe you can make a mockup for one of these.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...29#post2832329
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/19/2011 at 10:58 PM.
    I really like that, but something that powerful I could see dying really quickly, but who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I remeber reading somewhere about how hp was rethinking the way people used media on their devices or something in that ballpark. I honestly think the camera on a phone is one of the biggest selling points. Especially for the average user. Id LOVE a phone with an awesome quality camera so i can ditch my point and shoot, atleast for now. I rarely if ever use optical zoon anyway though itd be nice if there was an option but if u can get a very good senser, lens, and flash as well as good photo capture and editing software, the zoom isnt a big issue. If 10-15 mpx is an option on a smartphone, a 3x zoom would still look great because itd be.3-5 mpx image basically its about the lenses, software and flash. This device would Have to be a 4-4.3 inch device so it can store a huge battery. And would need a super aoled screen as well to save battery, one optomized for outdoor lighting. Will we see a phone like this the 9th likely not, but soon im sure, as the new dual core processors are said to handle more advanced cameras.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    I really like that, but something that powerful I could see dying really quickly, but who knows?
    It would definitely need a very large battery to power all the communications radios, processors, sensors, etc.
    It's an interesting idea, but who the hell would buy a serious camera (aka the kind with a 14MP sensor, 5x optical zoom etc.) from HP?

A Flip HD replacement on the other hand... that might have a shot.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It's an interesting idea, but who the hell would buy a serious camera (aka the kind with a 14MP sensor, 5x optical zoom etc.) from HP?

A Flip HD replacement on the other hand... that might have a shot.
    People with other webOS devices, perhaps.
    this is actually a very good idea. I never thought of dedicated webOS Camera, especially when you consider the cloud and tap to share capabilities.

upload your photos to facebook from the camera itself (throught wifi or your phones 3G connection), or quickly move your HD photos to your tablet where you can get into some high powered editing.

if they could do these types of things, in a seamless manner, i'd say the can carve out a pretty interesting market
    We're talking about replacing a point and shoot camera for the average person. For most a 10MP with a 2-4X optical zoom would be ample specs. I'll trust from those that know more about camera technology than I when they say that is more difficult to do than we might think. Still, we've seen point and shoot cameras slim down to .6-.7" in recent years, so maybe we can see some possibilities in the future.

Gargoyle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast