Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This is an excellent idea. One thing I'm wondering is would it run a full version of webOS, or a stripped down, camera app only type? I would think that it should run as much as possible, but not a full version in the end.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    This is an excellent idea. One thing I'm wondering is would it run a full version of webOS, or a stripped down, camera app only type? I would think that it should run as much as possible, but not a full version in the end.
    Hey...as long at I don't get the "gray screen of death" camera app, I'd be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    i'd imagine it would make sense to limit the device in some fashion, so as not to cannabalize other device sales.

As long as you could still run various photo uploading and editing apps, it'd be a pretty complete device.
    I could see this for people like real estate agents and construction workers, it would be excellent for showing live progress.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Unless you're using wifi, forget the cloud. Just make it a bluetooth device capable of transferring data to your phone/tablet/netbook, so that your p/t/n with 3G or wifi can do the heavy lifting cloud-uploads.
    Quote Originally Posted by cntchds View Post
    Unless you're using wifi, forget the cloud. Just make it a bluetooth device capable of transferring data to your phone/tablet/netbook, so that your p/t/n with 3G or wifi can do the heavy lifting cloud-uploads.
    i would say bluetooth and wifi would suffice. no one would go for getting a 3G plan on a camera...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i would say bluetooth and wifi would suffice. no one would go for getting a 3G plan on a camera...
    What if they could make it like the Amazon Kindle with the 3g included in the price?
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    What if they could make it like the Amazon Kindle with the 3g included in the price?
    what makes 3G on the kindle plausible is the relatively small data transfers. the browser doesn't render much, the books are just text, and all of the consumers are using the internet connection to BUY books.

with a camera, the files are likely to be larger, and after the original point of sale, there wouldn't be any purchases to cover the 3g costs...

if they found a way to make the 3g included in the price, i'd be all for it, but that wouldn't seem likely to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    what makes 3G on the kindle plausible is the relatively small data transfers. the browser doesn't render much, the books are just text, and all of the consumers are using the internet connection to BUY books.

with a camera, the files are likely to be larger, and after the original point of sale, there wouldn't be any purchases to cover the 3g costs...

if they found a way to make the 3g included in the price, i'd be all for it, but that wouldn't seem likely to me...
    I know pics are larger but most people don't take pictures everyday, most would use it bi-weekly at most so you wouldn't be uploading that often. If they did do that, then they would need to put in a cap on the data, or limit the functions that can be done over 3g, ie only upload to cloud storage.

What is the usual size of a good camera picture these days?

But yeah its totally possible that its not price feasible.
  10.    #30  
    How about a shared data plan to go along with a phone? A typical compressed JPEG file from a 14mp camera would be around 4-6mb, depending on compression. Which is a significant file size.
    David Vogt - Founder and administrator of Photography Union
    Follow me on Twitter! --- Add me on Facebook!
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I know pics are larger but most people don't take pictures everyday, most would use it bi-weekly at most so you wouldn't be uploading that often. If they did do that, then they would need to put in a cap on the data, or limit the functions that can be done over 3g, ie only upload to cloud storage.

What is the usual size of a good camera picture these days?

But yeah its totally possible that its not price feasible.
    i suppose its true that most folk dont take take or upload that many pictures. but i think the reason is that its generally a chore to do so. with a typical digital camera, you bring it when you expect some kodak moments, and upload whenever your camera and pc happen to be in the same place. But if you market the ability to instantly share HQ photos, where ever you are, I can imagine people uploading a lot more often.
    yeah and for it to truly be 'in the cloud' an image would probably have to be uploaded as soon as it is taken. actually that would eliminate the need for online storage.
    i couldn't see this sold with an unlimited data plan... things like this would probably use more data than any smartphone currently out there. 14mp sensor = ~10mb images, if you take 20 a day that adds up to 6gb/month... more than any carrier would want. then we'd be stuck with tiered data packages, which no consumer wants. soo... perhaps very selective uploading to 3g, with the bulk of the action over wi-fi? or perhaps something like wimax only, once it's deployed to larger areas?

but i could imagine a specialized 'camera' version of webOS... webOS in name only, just with a similar interface designed specifically for the camera. kind of like iPhone OS was originally marketed as a mobile version of OSX, or like MeeGo is developing like 3 completely different versions of the same operating system.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12