Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    The comment to HP was a big mistake. Sure, it's clever and gets more attention in a neat way.

However, there's going to be more and more information leaked in the next 3 weeks (and we've seen that already). By the time the event comes around, here's hoping they still have some good secrets, otherwise this is going to blow up in their face.
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    Any time anybody body slams an Apple fan boy site like Engadget, it's a good thing. They been hatin on the Pre since launch day. Awesome job HP!
    Joshua Toplosky, Editor-in-Chief of Engadget, is a WebOS enthusiast. And like most of us here, his major qualm has been the lackluster hardware. I wouldn't be surprised (ok, maybe a little) if he switches if the reboot of devices impresses as much as the hype.

Side note and off-topic warning. Why does some sites have to be classified as a fan boy site? Can't we just concede that Apple builds nice products. I'll take aluminum over plastic any day of the week.
    Agree with Brswa, aluminum feels better.
    <This Page is Blank>
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    Any time anybody body slams an Apple fan boy site like Engadget, it's a good thing. They been hatin on the Pre since launch day. Awesome job HP!
    Engadget was probably the first pro-Pre tech blog (not including Treo Central). Topolsky was given a Pre prototype before pretty well any other blog site and he ran that device all around the community talking it up (including on the Jimmy Fallon Show). If you feel Engadget has changed their tune, it can only be because they, like most of the rest of the world, no longer feel the magic.
    Last edited by Kupe; 01/21/2011 at 04:53 AM.
    Engadget's tone hasn't changed.

Josh even spoke very highly of webOS 2.0 on the Pre2, despite being underwhelmed with the device itself. That's a lot more favorable than most sites were.
    All of the folks on Engadget speak highly of webOS, especially 2.0. For the most part I think that the Engadget staff is straight down the middle. But they do love to take a jab or two at Android's fragmentation and design, which is kind of funny bc a lot of them carry Android devices in addition to other devices.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I follow Engadget and Gizmodo every day. I think you guys have aptly clarified that Engadget's been very fair and even enthusiastic about WebOS. If you want to talk noise about a f-a-n-b-o-y techblog that has poo-poo'd the heck out of WebOS, it's Giz. I love the site, but am irked at their bias in this respect.. Just a gripe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreep View Post
    I follow Engadget and Gizmodo every day. I think you guys have aptly clarified that Engadget's been very fair and even enthusiastic about WebOS. If you want to talk noise about a f-a-n-b-o-y techblog that has poo-poo'd the heck out of WebOS, it's Giz. I love the site, but am irked at their bias in this respect.. Just a gripe.
    I agree Engadget.com has been very good to WebOS, don't read giz so I can't say.
    Engadget generally is neutral in their opinion, but they are guilty in trying to provoke fan boy wars in their articles, ranging from biased use of "BREAKING" tags on Apple articles, and conflicting opinions between articles (one minute stabbing at Apple and the next article praising them like no tomorrow).

Wouldn't exactly blame them, they have a lot of writers and a few are bound to be biased, they're opinion pieces. And nothing brings web traffic better than an old fashioned fan boy war. They are in the ad business after all.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Engadget generally is neutral in their opinion, but they are guilty in trying to provoke fan boy wars in their articles, ranging from biased use of "BREAKING" tags on Apple articles, and conflicting opinions between articles (one minute stabbing at Apple and the next article praising them like no tomorrow).

Wouldn't exactly blame them, they have a lot of writers and a few are bound to be biased, they're opinion pieces. And nothing brings web traffic better than an old fashioned fan boy war. They are in the ad business after all.
    Not really. They LOVE webOS and have stated that numerous times. Their problem, like the rest of us has been hardware... I would like to see someone rebute it and state that palm DOES have great hardware.

Pre minus sucks as of today(It was good when it came out) Pre2 isnt even launched and still has some problems lik orea, pixi and pixi plus are too slow and small screen, etc etc etc.

They have stated numerous times, but webOS on a dell venue pro, iphone slab, etc etc then It would be very hard to beat and it will give the iphone a run for its money
    The only thing I find disingenuous about Engadget, at least the mobile site is that the mobile editor calls every phone that has a 4in screen and at least a 800mhz processor "a beast". I mean, really??? It starts to get a little old bc when you think about it, those types of phones are becoming ubiquitous and thus really aren't that impressive any more. Just normal.

But then again the editors of the classic portion of the site made the same point in a podcast several weeks back and basically stated that it's becoming more about software instead of hardware. So I think that there are enough editors to keep things balanced.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Another theory is HP themselves are the ones who leaked all this themselves...

Do you honestly think a mass marketing mail like that gets written up and trickled within an organization as large as HP and sent out THAT fast, on the day of the leak?
    Uh, yes. Do you think HP's marketing division just sleeps all day?

Something like this could be created, approved and mailed in a matter of 30 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy7 View Post
    Uh, yes. Do you think HP's marketing division just sleeps all day?

Something like this could be created, approved and mailed in a matter of 30 minutes.
    If it has enough high-level visibility, it sure could. Given the context, I can't imagine what could be more visible than this.

Heck, Todd Bradley might have read the Engadget coverage, gotten ticked off, and called his VP of Marketing and said, "Send out an email that says this, now." Boom, five minutes later, the email goes out.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234