Okay, I have this REALLY wierd problem with my Treo 270. When I flip the screen open the last app I had running is what shows up again, but sometimes (many times, actually) it's as if letter "P" was pressed, so:
    - If I'm in datebook, I have an untimed appointment that just says "P." So I have to go in and delete it.
    - If I'm in the phonebook, instead of showing my quick dial-up list, it goes into the search mode and lists all the names starting with "P." So here, I have to manually get back to my quick dial-up list.

Same thing with the memo pad, etc. I am sure you get the idea. I am SURE I'm not pressing anything before I close the lid. Does anybody else have the same problem? Does anybody know how to solve this problem? Is this something Handspring would fix or replace my device for?

Please help! It was tolerable at the beginning, but now it's just driving me nutso!
    I have the same problem!

Did you perform the GPRS upgrade? My problem started occuring around that point, but I also switched to a different unit so I am not sure which is to blame.
    A long shot, but perhaps there is a bit of gunk on the underside of the earpiece that strikes the key when you close it?
    I had a similar problem on my Treo 180... When I would flip the screen up it would be as if the menu button was pressed. I found that loosening to the two screws at the top of the Treo fixed it. I'm not recommending anything, do what you will with this information.
    I have this problem with my 180. After carefully watching how I was opening and closing the cover, I discovered that the act of closing the cover with "too much" pressure would cause it to press the "p" key. This would show up if I was in an app that directly accepted input such as DateBk 5 (in that instance it would create an untimed appointment labeled "p").

My solution has been to try to return to the launcher before closing the lid and/or closing the lid very gently.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Originally posted by metsfan
    I had a similar problem on my Treo 180... When I would flip the screen up it would be as if the menu button was pressed. I found that loosening to the two screws at the top of the Treo fixed it. I'm not recommending anything, do what you will with this information.
    I, too, had this problem after I got a replacement Treo 180 for the dead speaker problem. My original unit never had this problem. I followed metsfan's suggestion and just backed off the top two screws until they were both just touching the case. That seems to have fixed the problem for me. Thanks!
    Originally posted by rfg17

I, too, had this problem after I got a replacement Treo 180 for the dead speaker problem. My original unit never had this problem. I followed metsfan's suggestion and just backed off the top two screws until they were both just touching the case. That seems to have fixed the problem for me. Thanks!
    Come to think of it, I had this problem with my two replacements but not with my original one. Maybe they screw the refurbs together too tightly.
    Thanks for all the feedback. I did not upgrade to GPRS, so that can't be the problem. I have had the same unit all along as well--I don't know whether that's significant.

I think it happens when I am hanging up a call, for example, and I just flick the lid shut. The lid hits the "p" key before it shuts off. That is a *terrible* oversight on Handspring's part, I think, especially with potential solutions being closing the lid carefully (who thinks about that half the time) or loosening the screws at the top! I admire the bravery of someone who's willing to try that. I guess I will just have to be more careful.

Handspring--if you're reading this: it's these small details that cause loyal users to become disenchanted.
    I called them up today and convinced them to send me another advance replacement unit.

I never experienced the 'p' issues with my first Treo 270 (which had the backlight problem). Tried to loosen the screws, but with no success.
    For me, the 'P's clearly due to my slamming the cover shut a bit too hard.
    Yes it is due to closing the lid. For me it happens all the times, unless I VERY gently close the lid. That is not the lid closing procedure that the unit was designed for.
    Originally posted by marcus
    Yes it is due to closing the lid. For me it happens all the times, unless I VERY gently close the lid. That is not the lid closing procedure that the unit was designed for.
    Really? I often just flip it shut. Guess I'm just lucky.
    I had the P problem with Treo #1, but now Treo #3 had the Command problem. It's NOT caused by the lid contacting the keys. My Treo can fairly consistently issue the Command key as I slowly close the lid, and long before the unit closes.

I may try loosening those screws.