Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ready or not, its coming.

I personally think it is a bridge too far. They have yet to make a successful smartphone out of this smartphone OS. They are about to release a pad based on this OS with virtually no developer support or mature SDK. Now, HP is trying to fall back on the only thing they know, traditional PCs. Is wOS to become the next Linux? Do they believe they will be taking on Windows-based netbooks? This sounds like a bad idea.

I am reminded of the saying, "When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/16/2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: clarified Title
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Notice the video says "Today, let's start with the phones. Tomorrow will come soon enough."

So I doubt they even exist beyond a concept at this stage and rolling such devices out would rely on people buying the phones and tablets, because if you can't convince people to take your mobile OS on a phone, why on earth would they buy your netbook?
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Hopefully you can switch between windows and webos with one click, I think it's a horrible idea too, if it's webos only.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Notice the video says "Today, let's start with the phones. Tomorrow will come soon enough."

So I doubt they even exist beyond a concept at this stage and rolling such devices out would rely on people buying the phones and tablets, because if you can't convince people to take your mobile OS on a phone, why on earth would they buy your netbook?
    A valid question. But that's not stopping them from rolling out pads before establishing a successful phone platform. This is exactly the kind of thing HP would do.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Why do 75% of the people *need* a general-purpose PC, when a handheld cloud terminal (my term) will suffice? I've been asking this question ever since the Pre came out, and will bet that any tech person who is tired of cleaning up spyware and viruses from friend/relative's PC's every week will be standing in line to buy these things for those people! Instant on Internet access is just icing on the "think beyond" cake.....
    IF they could get decent application support for it I might buy one. I'm on my Dell Mini 9 right now which I love because it's so easy to travel with. And yes, I do work on presentations, reports etc. with it as well as Skypeing home to see the kids.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    I have been dreaming of a dockable win7netbook/webOS ttablet since the day hp bought them. HP had a really cool device not too long ago

HP Compaq Tablet PC TC1100 Review - Tablets - CNET Reviews

I want something like this but with a lenovo u1 hybrid deal.

for me it would/could be perfect, heck I would like to see there bestest fastest lightest hardware, even if it cost me a grand plus, I would save up for that if it had legit computing chops.

but a netbook hybrid tablet would also be interesting.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullroarer Took View Post
    IF they could get decent application support for it I might buy one. I'm on my Dell Mini 9 right now which I love because it's so easy to travel with. And yes, I do work on presentations, reports etc. with it as well as Skypeing home to see the kids.
    How would this be better than a DM9? Those are pretty nice, if you don't mind all the compromises of the netbook formfactor.

Aren't we well into the process of killing netbooks with pads? This isn't thinking beyond; it's thinking backward. Still, when it comes to the consumer market, HP is all about cheap PCs and printers. Guess where wOS is headed. I don't like this direction for wOS.
    I don't think it's a bridge too far. I would buy one. It would be another part of the interconnected experience HP has been preaching. As long as it is at least 2GHz with 2GB ram and allows easy interconnectivity with your webOS phone or tablet (or both), I can see people buying into it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you think about it, it would be a tablet with a built-in hardware keyboard. What's the big fuss?
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I have been dreaming of a dockable win7netbook/webOS ttablet since the day hp bought them. HP had a really cool device not too long ago

HP Compaq Tablet PC TC1100 Review - Tablets - CNET Reviews

I want something like this but with a lenovo u1 hybrid deal.

for me it would/could be perfect, heck I would like to see there bestest fastest lightest hardware, even if it cost me a grand plus, I would save up for that if it had legit computing chops.

but a netbook hybrid tablet would also be interesting.
    Yeah a netbook/tablet would be awesome
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I don't think it's a bridge too far. I would buy one. It would be another part of the interconnected experience HP has been preaching. As long as it is at least 2GHz with 2GB ram and allows easy interconnectivity with your webOS phone or tablet (or both), I can see people buying into it.
    Let's just say, for the sake of argument, everyone on PC buys one. That covers the first 1,000 units. Now what? I remember all the clamoring for the Slate from all the Apple haters. Yet, almost no one supported the project at the cash register. Are there really more than a few tech enthusiasts looking for a new netbook platform to sink their teeth into? I don't think so.

Also, what does "easy interconnectivity" mean? Between iTunes and MobileMe, I can't think of any connectivity I don't already have. You don't need a specialized OS for that, just decent software clients. What connectivity did you have in mind that a wOS netbook would bring?
    I have a lenovo s10 now, love the portability of it, the size is great, would love webos on a similar one

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    If you think about it, it would be a tablet with a built-in hardware keyboard. What's the big fuss?
    I respectfully disagree. A pad is an inherently touch driven device. You cannot drive an iPad with a keyboard and mouse. You can use a keyboard to type. Besides a few task specific keys, that's about it. A netbook needs an OS that is driven by keyboard and pointer input. The difference is not just in the hardware. wOS would have to be rewritten to make sense on a netbook in the same way that Windows does. You can slap in on a netbook, but it would be a poor experience.
    Hmm.. Interesting, but part of me was hoping for an Atrix 4g type solution. A laptop dock that basically removes the "need" for a netbook. The Foleo was ahead of it's time, but it could really work today.
    A WebOS netbook does sound intriguing but we'll see how it plays out.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    A netbook needs an OS that is driven by keyboard and pointer input.
    Just because that's how it's been with Windows doesn't mean that's how it has to be. They may be playing loose with the term "netbook"...perhaps implying something closer to the old first-gen tablets...perhaps something stylus-driven with some productivity enhancements.
    I respectfully disagree. A pad is an inherently touch driven device. You cannot drive an iPad with a keyboard and mouse. You can use a keyboard to type. Besides a few task specific keys, that's about it. A netbook needs an OS that is driven by keyboard and pointer input. The difference is not just in the hardware. wOS would have to be rewritten to make sense on a netbook in the same way that Windows does. You can slap in on a netbook, but it would be a poor experience.
    WebOS was, from the beginning, written around a physical keyboard. Sure, some changes would have to be made, but no, WebOS would not have to be completely rewritten.
    i would anticipate that a webOS netbook would have a touchscreen and be driven with gestures like a pad for pad stuff like surfing the web, reading e-books, and watching videos....the keyboard would be available when you needed to type alot....im picturing a scenario where say a college student could take notes with it during a lecture, then head for coffee and update a blog while there...then type up a cupla pages of an essay while on the tram headed to the dorms...
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    A netbook while running windows needs a keyboard and pointer. A webOS netbook would be little different than a webOS tablet with a keyboard. There's a lots of people who like the netbook form factor. If you find yourself typing a lot, you should pick this form factor over a tablet.

And writing wOS makes you look as trollish as people who write Ipad or Ios.
    Last edited by spare; 01/16/2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: edit to use less offensive term
    Ready or not, its coming.

I personally think it is a bridge too far. They have yet to make a successful smartphone out of this smartphone OS. They are about to release a pad based on this OS with virtually no developer support or mature SDK. Now, HP is trying to fall back on the only thing they know, traditional PCs. Is wOS to become the next Linux? Do they believe they will be taking on Windows-based netbooks? This sounds like a bad idea.

I am reminded of the saying, "When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

I tend to agree.

I understand that expanding platforms to all types of mobile devices is a generally good idea.
    But I don't think you can just take any platform, put it on a multitude of devices, and expect success.

Customers have to want what you're pedaling and devs have to want to develop for what you're pedaling. Without devs customers will not want.

HP seems to be forgetting about the devs part thus far.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast