Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    Hi all,

Due to my disability, I do far better on keyboard than I do typing on a virtual keyboard...if I didn't already have a PC & a laptop I would consider a webOS netbook....

Frankly I don't want a Pad, unless I find that my 87 year old Mom can manage it....(I am full time care giver to her), she reads two newspapers per day and anything I find on line of interest to her...I have to print up what I think will interest her...it would be much easier for me to send it to a pad to her...however she isn't computer savvy at all!

take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    No. Pads with Bluetooth keyboards will be the death of netbooks anyway. Not tomorrow, but pretty soon.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    For professional reasons I need to have a Windows netbook (and have it with me, when I'm not near another PC). Can't see the need for another device of a netbook OR pad type.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    For things like viewing/reading of content, a tablet works very well. This includes things like ebook readers and such. When it comes to content CREATION on the other hand, having a real keyboard tends to be a better option, which is why the IDEA behind a netbook running WebOS may seem attractive.

Now, here is the problem...WebOS is designed with the idea of using your finger to control things, and on a netbook, reaching out to do that sort of control won't feel all that natural. It is possible we may see a cursor system implemented for it, where you can use a touchpad, but that still won't be the same as flicking something with your finger, or using gestures in the same way to control the overall UI.

Now, that is the real key, changing the way you control the OS based on the form factor. With current devices, the virtual keyboard isn't going to be all that popular due to the small screen size, while on a larger screen, going tablet for a virtual keyboard approach makes sense. Netbooks CAN work, but with a good sized physical keyboard, the user will have his/her/its fingers away from the screen, and reaching out to it for control would feel clunky.

I'd like to see a Netbook running WebOS, but going to a cursor system with touchscreen and optional mouse would make more sense.
    I'd have to disagree. I've reached up many times to swipe things off (or betweent tabs, even) my desktop at home. It didn't feel unnatural at all and was surprised when nothing happened. Being able to integrate webOS into windows would be cool I think. Having both options available simultaneously, use what you want, would be sweet. Maybe I'm an oddity.

( I've gotten over thinking webOS was on my computer, that was a phase I went through a few months back, but it really did seem like it should & would work)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I don't think it's a bridge too far. I would buy one. It would be another part of the interconnected experience HP has been preaching. As long as it is at least 2GHz with 2GB ram and allows easy interconnectivity with your webOS phone or tablet (or both), I can see people buying into it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yeah, totally. Give me a nice little touch screen webos netbook, and I'm there. Having to use Windows on a netbook (what I'm doing now) seems a total waste of resources to me.

I really hope HP pursues standalone webos netbooks 'cos I think there'd be a huge market. I'd buy one in a second
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Due to my disability, I do far better on keyboard than I do typing on a virtual keyboard...if I didn't already have a PC & a laptop I would consider a webOS netbook....

Frankly I don't want a Pad, unless I find that my 87 year old Mom can manage it....(I am full time care giver to her), she reads two newspapers per day and anything I find on line of interest to her...I have to print up what I think will interest her...it would be much easier for me to send it to a pad to her...however she isn't computer savvy at all!

take care, Jay
    i'm with you at the moment when it comes to interest in a "pad" of any kind. But considering your mother consider this. I thought HP mentioned newpapers and ereaders on there tablet line up so maybe a solution could be a tablet with several newspaper subscriptions. A tablet may be as simple as hitting the on button and touching an icon to load the reader and then it may be just like having a paper. All you may have to do is keep the subscription going. Or it may be free.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i'm with you at the moment when it comes to interest in a "pad" of any kind. But considering your mother consider this. I thought HP mentioned newpapers and ereaders on there tablet line up so maybe a solution could be a tablet with several newspaper subscriptions. A tablet may be as simple as hitting the on button and touching an icon to load the reader and then it may be just like having a paper. All you may have to do is keep the subscription going. Or it may be free.
    Dear Blackmagic,

Thank you, that's a great idea and so obvius...Talk about an idea right in front of our faces!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    WebOS would be great as an "instant-on" option for all HP Notebooks. They would all get touch screens, and they would all have a "WebOs" button next to the power button.

I would buy a new HP Notebook if that was an option, because I can see the speed and design of WebOs being applied to tasks that don't require a full Windows-boot
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Yeah, ever used Ubuntu or Fedora or Open SUSE or gos? I've installed them all, and none of them were user friendly. Try getting a wireless PCI card on a desktop PC to work with Linux. All you have to do is get ndiswrapper going and manually obtain drivers, etc. Package managers, special application installation procedures to enable basic functionality... Linux has been a very geek driven OS. The open source developers are geeks and nerds, and quite frankly, a lot of them LIKE Linux to be difficult to use and quirky. Android started off as a very geek OS. It was clumsy, awkward, laggy, buggy, ugly, and lacked a lot of functionality. It was like Linux. Very capable, but in base form, far from easy. Android has come along ways, maintaining it's "geek" factor with customization, but moving to satisfy mainstream users which is something no distro of Linux has ever done.
    When is the last time you used Linux? It has been my main desktop for the last two years. I have just installed it on my parents laptop, and it is running on my gf laptop too. All three of them are non-technical people, and I am getting less complaints to look at something since the switch from Windows.

Wireless worked out of the box on the two laptops as well as my work laptop, different models and one of them a netbook.

Considering Linux is powering webOS are you tarring webOS with the same brush?

I really think they need to consider creating a live cd and let webOS out into the wild. If it installs on your hardware fantastic, if not let the community hack away at it and see if they can make it work.

As for webOS replacing Windows, I can't really see it happening in the near future, but who knows. I think that Google will be a big deciding factor in how all this shapes out with their OS, more so than Apple.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    WebOS would be great as an "instant-on" option for all HP Notebooks. They would all get touch screens, and they would all have a "WebOs" button next to the power button.

I would buy a new HP Notebook if that was an option, because I can see the speed and design of WebOs being applied to tasks that don't require a full Windows-boot
    Great, except that it wouldn't be "instant-on", and the touch screen would add cost (and possibly affect display quality).
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    No. Pads with Bluetooth keyboards will be the death of netbooks anyway. Not tomorrow, but pretty soon.
    I think laptops will be around for awhile unless tablets can replace them functionality wise. Look at all the windows programs that are not on tablets yet. We may see tablets overtake the laptop market eventually but not until tablets work like a laptop.

One more thing, the bluetooth keyboard would have to attach to the tablet somehow. That way, when you are taking your tablet and keyboard around with you they will be one piece in your bag/backpack.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789