Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Isn't that true, though?
    depends
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    People are making music, writing novels, and painting with the iPad. As soon as the iPad gets a camera, we'll probably see people shoot and chop films too (genuine visionary filmmakers are already doing that with phones).

The whole "tablets are for consumption" thing just reminds me of core gamers who insist you need buttons and a dpad to play video games.

You don't. Just like you don't need a physical keyboard and a desktop OS to make cool stuff and I think HP sells their tablet short if they really believe that.
    This is technically true, but I think the problem is that I haven't seen any content created on an iPad that was made possible only by the iPad. That Gorillaz album I referenced was made with a bunch of plugins you could get free on a way cheaper PC laptop or in one $12 issue of the import Computer Music magazine. A lot of art I've seen would absolutely be possible on ancient tablet PCs with electronic pens. Writing novels is about as hardware-agnostic an activity as you could imagine for iPad.

Likewise, the 720 video recording is something that'll be ubiquitous to every tablet and smartphone within the next 12 months.

Tying this back to HP instead of making this another tired pro/anti-iPad argument, HP is extremely unlikely to enable superior or even equivalent content creation to the current iPad app catalog. Better to focus on getting content consumption parity since that is what most tablet buyers will use it for. Certainly the majority of iPad owners use it for the same purpose.
    netbooks not a bad Idea, though I got the clamcase for my girl and it then transforms the ipad pretty much into a netbook, so to me theres not a whole lot of reasoning of getting something like a netbook, when most likely they will have keyboard variant options that will be produced by 3rd party companys. Hopefully this is still just a idea, because I believe they need to focus on making a tablet the majority will want to buy, along with a smartphone.
    I think I came off as way more "go iPad!" than I intended. The point I was trying to make is this stuff is possible on today's tablet technology and trying to sell a tablet as a subset of a network is just incredibly short-sighted.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Gotta disagree. I think it is more along the lines of companies charge a premium for high end devices because they can. As soon as demand drops, the price drops. Especially in the US cellphone market. HP is welcome to sell these devices cheaply to carriers. Carriers will still charge as much as they can get for them in hopes of recouping their investment in the inventory.

Also, I don't believe that feature phone users are ready to jump to smartphones but are put off by a $20-40/month premium. Again, the iPhone has converted millions of feature phone users into smartphone users, but in the US, it's been at the cost of one of the most expensive data plans around. Similarly, the monthly charge for owning one or more Droids is comparatively expensive, yet Verizon has been selling several million. I believe the vast majority of people still using feature phones in 2011 are doing so because they don't want or need a smartphone. And if they somehow miraculously did, they wouldn't let an HP data plan subsidy sway them any more than people would make Sprint the first place carrier because they have the cheapest plans.

Sprint's fortunes turned around when they introduced a high end handset that actually had a monthly premium, not a monthly subsidy/price cut. The market will respond to quality, but I don't think low pricing is going to cut it anymore. Everyone is racing to the bottom.
    So you're saying smartphone adoption will stagnate in 2011? Smartphones are like 30% of the cell phone market right now I think? You don't think it'll get much higher? That companies will just be fighting for the current user base?
    Im thinking HP is trying to produce products (like Apple, and Microsoft) with its own OS in webos. So its only natural they would throw their hat in the netbook arena as well with smartphones, tablets etc. We all dont even know what they have done with their latest version of webos on smartphones (understanding they will have a ladder version of 2.0 for a OTA for current models along with the pre 2). So they may even have a netbook/laptop version that does not need to be touch screen, or gesture area to function. In the end HP could be producing their own products, with their own OS if competitive and no longer be at the mercy of Microsoft when it wants to power its products.
    I would like a full fledged lap top with Windows 7 on it and a webOS layer as an app running in windows. Then I want to pull the screen off and have a webOS tablet.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    For it to meet all of my needs, it would still need to do everything I currently do with Windows. What I think makes more sense is for HP to use the webOS interface on top of windows to leverage touch screens - as a replacement for TouchSmart and other touchscreen UI layers they have in their portfolio.

I don't want to run OpenOffice on webOS as much as I want to be able to toss windows, scroll in cardview, and other actions that are optimized for a pad that doesn't have a physical keyboard. To me, that's the distinction - webOS could run a PalmPad (more so as the app catalog grows) and webOS could enhance Windows on a netbook that combines a physical keyboard and a touch screen - meaning no application for any netbook available today.
    This...

It reminds me of the BumpTop interface and its recent acquisition by Google. The recent Android 3.0 videos ( ) seem to indicate BumpTop features have been put to use in this tablet UI...
    I would like a full desktop with Windows 7 on it, Adobe Creative Suite, and a Wacom tablet. I would also like a quick booting, portable tablet to carry around and browse the web on when I'm not making another digital graphic or writing another scientific journal article.

I don't see a place for a netbook in there though.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    I would like a full fledged lap top with Windows 7 on it and a webOS layer as an app running in windows. Then I want to pull the screen off and have a webOS tablet.
    YES!!! thats the winning formula!
    Last edited by shloime; 01/17/2011 at 04:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Admittedly, I am not familiar with the "printers" platform or any of the apps that run on it....
    Most of the printers HP sells with a menuing system run on a Linux kernal. Very small, very dedicated, but that's the nature of Linux.

Expect a new menuing system.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Is that a single platform? Like Mikah I don't know an awful lot about printers but I thought that the enterprise offerings were different to the consumer offerings?
    Ahh, now I understand where he was coming from. His facetious statement kinda threw me.
    The notion that HP can't concentrate on two areas of business, whether it be an OS, a series of printers, or a line of computers (including mini computers, servers, and consumer computers) is just plain silly. It's a big company, they can do lots of things at once.

As a matter of fact, the do lots of things at once. That was my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think it was your postulation that they'd focus mostly on enterprise, and resulting posts showing how HP has (and must continue) to address both because business users are a subset of all consumers.

Printers and PCs are examples as responses to that assertion.
    Thank you sir, for seeing the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    someone else (garretq) just posted in another thread a current lenovo tablet that you dock into the keyboard . when you attached to the keyboard, it has windows. imagine a very good webos tablet, that when you connect it to the keyboard, you have a top of the line laptop with blue ray, dedicated graphics et al.
    The only way I'd be interested in such a device is if the core OS (Linux/WebOS, whichever) could access storage that the Windows OS uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    So you're saying smartphone adoption will stagnate in 2011? Smartphones are like 30% of the cell phone market right now I think? You don't think it'll get much higher? That companies will just be fighting for the current user base?
    That's the stance that some are taking. I saw that stance before. There was a time when folks insisted that there was no real space for consumer computers, that those people that wanted/needed on had them, and others were never going to get one.

I knew differently. When my mother got one, that was all the confirmation I needed.

Smartphones will eventually consume virtually all of the phone market, because there will be so little interest in feature phones, they will become an unsupportable niche market.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The basic idea is that HP makes notebooks. HP just bought webOS. So, let's see how webOS works on a notebook. It's a logical hardware-centric strategy, however, it isn't exactly a recipe for something that will be necessarily compelling to a lot of users.

It's like they sat down with all of their hardware and decided to try to figure out all of the things that could run webOS....
    That's the first part of the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    ...Good for you, HP. Why would I buy one of these, though, when I could run better, more powerful, more versatile software on hardware that's just as good?
    Answering that is another part of the journey. That's why the blurb that got all of this started said nothing about an immediate release. You can bet they're working on answers to questions like this.
    I don't think anyone has suggested content creation is impossible on a tablet, just what is optimal for the form factor, it's sort of like how you can use a butter knife to turn a screw, but it's certainly not the optimal tool. Also, with enough accessories (bluetooth keyboard, etc.) someone could turn a tablet into a reasonable content creation device; however, by itself a 10" screen with a virtual keyboard is not a robust form factor for content creation, which is why I'm pretty sure the vast majority of iPads and other tablets are used almost exclusively for playing games, reading ebooks and newsreaders, surfing the web, listening to music and watching videos (content consumption).

Maybe it's just me, but I think for a price point between $500 and $800 HP can make a nifty little device with between 64GB and 128GB RAM, a 10" touchscreen with a swivel so I can use it as a tablet, or a netbook and still come in at dimensions to compete with any tablet out there.

Gargyole
    You know what I really hope? that they use real RAM sticks instead of SOC stuff in the tablet, that way I can buy the cheap one, then stick in my own 4Gb stick later on. :P

Too bad the notebook/tablet landscape doesn't work like the desktop world.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The only way I'd be interested in such a device is if the core OS (Linux/WebOS, whichever) could access storage that the Windows OS uses.
    they can share the same hard drive,right? and sd card
    Where's my popcorn icon?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast