Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 172
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    just get me a new smartphone with improved hardware and updates specs, better developer support, and keep them up to date....and then I will consider buying into whatever ecosystem hp is leading webOS.

    lets be honest. We're all here because of SMARTPHONES. Who really needs a tablet or netbook? There's some people that need them for specific industries but as a consumer item, I'm not sure what their utility is, esp tablets. I've used ipads...to look at netflix, play angry bird on a big screen...all cool and all...but then I stop to think. What the hell? Why am I watching a netflix movie on a 10 inch screen when I could load the damn thing from my wii or bluray player and watch it from my 40 inch tv?

    don't get me wrong, I will buy a webOS whatever, even a tablet, but only because everyone else has one.

    but then...what am I gonna do with my smartphone?

    hp...help me see the beyond...
    Yep, i need a tablet because its instant on and very portable. That's important to me. But i also need a smartphone version of it because that's what i take everywhere with me. But not just any smartphone, i need one with dual cores, a gig of ram, and a 1080p screen (bigger the better so i cans watch netflix). It makes the phone dialer run like a beast. A netbook with the same apps and OS would be nice for those times i want to be productive but it also needs to be portable and instant on so i can take it with me everywhere. But i use my ipad for everything else because i take it everywhere :P
  2. #62  
    Netbooks only appear to be dying because the current breed are painfully slow in comparison to a real laptop. A webOS powered netbook would likely be a very smooth and responsive experience considering the class of hardware it would be running with. Quite frankly, it would be an excellent platform to travel with when you need something more akin to a laptop than a smartphone. It would also be an excellent device for people who have limited uses for a laptop, but need something as capable as a tablet, but need a keyboard. Of course, one could argue that a tablet with a bluetooth keyboard would be virtually the same thing.
  3. #63  
    More important than a webOS netbook would be a webOS app than runs on window and macOSX (ex. a .exe and .dmg program) So that we can sync spefici music, files with ALL DEVICES, ex. like a dropbox app
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think this post reveals your true motive behind starting this thread..

    Just reading the title and seeing who started the thread was ALL I needed to see to know how this was going to play out.

    They probably drive around with stickers on their cars with their platform of choice
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Yep, i need a tablet because its instant on and very portable. That's important to me. But i also need a smartphone version of it because that's what i take everywhere with me. But not just any smartphone, i need one with dual cores, a gig of ram, and a 1080p screen (bigger the better so i cans watch netflix). It makes the phone dialer run like a beast. A netbook with the same apps and OS would be nice for those times i want to be productive but it also needs to be portable and instant on so i can take it with me everywhere. But i use my ipad for everything else because i take it everywhere :P
    The form factor needed for a 1080p phone would be awkward.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Isn't Linux hooving around 4% in terms of end-users (Desktops/laptops etc - not servers)? So fairly unpopular
    Unless you count all of the other Operating Systems that are based on Linux.

    OSX, iOS, Android, WebOS, etc. Aren't they all based on Linux? That would put it #2 behind Windows, and at more than 50% in the smartphone market.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Netbooks only appear to be dying because the current breed are painfully slow in comparison to a real laptop. A webOS powered netbook would likely be a very smooth and responsive experience considering the class of hardware it would be running with. Quite frankly, it would be an excellent platform to travel with when you need something more akin to a laptop than a smartphone. It would also be an excellent device for people who have limited uses for a laptop, but need something as capable as a tablet, but need a keyboard. Of course, one could argue that a tablet with a bluetooth keyboard would be virtually the same thing.
    The problem with netbooks is that they ran/run Windows on an Intel Atom chip.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    The problem with netbooks is that they ran/run Windows on an Intel Atom chip.
    right

    I am running an asus 1215n which is classified as a netbook, but really is in a different class than the atom 270 based netbook i had before

    This netbook competes with other full sized laptops in many benchmarks

    it has
    dual core n550 processor at 1.2 ghz
    a discrete graphics solution in the form of NVIDIA Ion2 that allows actual 3d gaming of many modern games (or so I read in reviews, I use it for TMN forever and thats about it, but still the old netbook couldn't do that)

    it also weighs less than a standard laptop, has nearly full keyboard, uses OPTIMUS and graphics switching so that the ION chip is only working when there is a high intensity process, otherwise its the default GMA set

    thus a real world 6-7 hours of battery.


    the next gen of netbooks using dual core atoms and AMD chips, with both discreet or individual graphics solutions, really do provide a new level of performance, and blur the lines of that original distinction.
    There are four lights.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Isn't Linux hooving around 4% in terms of end-users (Desktops/laptops etc - not servers)? So fairly unpopular
    Isn't Apples OS running somewhere around 10% (in this country)?
  10. #70  
    One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread - I suspect that any netbook HP release that has WebOS on it will also have a touch screen. Don't remember seeing a capacitive touch screen on a netbook previously (though there may have been some). I suspect that's going to be the "standard" for touch screens for a while to come.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    right

    I am running an asus 1215n which is classified as a netbook, but really is in a different class than the atom 270 based netbook i had before

    This netbook competes with other full sized laptops in many benchmarks

    it has
    dual core n550 processor at 1.2 ghz
    a discrete graphics solution in the form of NVIDIA Ion2 that allows actual 3d gaming of many modern games (or so I read in reviews, I use it for TMN forever and thats about it, but still the old netbook couldn't do that)

    it also weighs less than a standard laptop, has nearly full keyboard, uses OPTIMUS and graphics switching so that the ION chip is only working when there is a high intensity process, otherwise its the default GMA set

    thus a real world 6-7 hours of battery.


    the next gen of netbooks using dual core atoms and AMD chips, with both discreet or individual graphics solutions, really do provide a new level of performance, and blur the lines of that original distinction.
    Mine is much more like yours. No optical drive, but it has a dual core Pentium, 13" 720p screen, and 8-9 hour battery. I wish it had a touchscreen so I could swipe/toss/etc, but other than that it rocks.
  12. #72  
    if they could create a windows7 tablet/netbook with an instant on webos boot aswell I will be sold
  13. #73  
    I received a Google Cr-48 running Chrome OS. Chrome OS is not really anything special (its not "fun to use") and I dual-booted it with Ubuntu. Now, if Chrome OS had more features or productivity, it would have been great. If HP can get a lot of developers on board, the netbook idea might take off (with an awesome touch-screen).

    Also, my experience with HP's quality have been great. I bought a Envy 14 Beats and it just shouts "Quality". I hope they take that quality to webOS products.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
  14. #74  
    I write all day in a shack with no electricity. My laptop, though I'm just using word, dies within a few hours. I'm hoping, mostly for fun, to be able to buy a webOS tablet and bt keyboard (here's hoping for an office suite app) to use for all day writing and after hours media consumption.
  15. cvendra's Avatar
    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    #75  
    I would get one for my wife. When this webos netbook thing surfaced, I asked my wife that how many times has she used other software than word proc, spreadsheet, email , web on her netbook. ianswer was none. There should be a whole lot of people like her out there - my guess 8 out of 10.
  16. #76  
    I don't want a netbook regardless of who makes the OS.
  17. #77  
    I use an HP netbook now. It's sufficient for most things, and the extra GB of RAM and 11.6 inches of screen are welcome. But it's also plasticky and has a less-than-optimal keyboard and trackpad. I know the Envy line is better, but it's also prohibitively expensive to help WebOS make any sort of dent.

    So if WebOS netbooks are to be, I honestly wonder where HP is going balance out the cost vs. build quality.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Notice the video says "Today, let's start with the phones. Tomorrow will come soon enough."

    So I doubt they even exist beyond a concept at this stage and rolling such devices out would rely on people buying the phones and tablets, because if you can't convince people to take your mobile OS on a phone, why on earth would they buy your netbook?
    I have to agree. I think that maybe HP is playing it coy and has more up its sleeve in terms of developer support than we think (they better).

    A netbook might be interesting, but I would have to see how they baked HP webOS into a netbook, and how it would make netbooks better.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  19. #79  
    The Foleo is dead, long live the Foleo!
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

    Yes, I have a problem...
  20. #80  
    I personally think something like a macbook air with a screen that flips over like a traditional tablet that dual-booted windows and webos would be really cool. With battery life to rival an iPad and a ssd to rival a larger computer speed wise, but just make it look like a Dell adamo, and have 13 and 11 inch versions (I don't think my iPad is big or fast enough). Pricing wise I think that anything under $2000 for the 13 inch version and 1500 for the 11 inch version with perhaps cheaper versions available would be reasonable.

Posting Permissions