Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 172
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    your descibing a beta
    yep, but one that would be on the 60 million plus laptops that HP puts out each year.

    Apple, google, microsoft all take advantage of there size, scale, and install base to try out new ideas and hone them so that when they are ready to be advertised they have a fully functioning product.

    I see no reason HP might not do the same thing with webOS. furthermore I don't see any drawbacks to such a quickboot install option for a user, except perhaps the cost of an extra button?
    There are four lights.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    yep, but one that would be on the 60 million plus laptops that HP puts out each year.

    Apple, google, microsoft all take advantage of there size, scale, and install base to try out new ideas and hone them so that when they are ready to be advertised they have a fully functioning product.

    I see no reason HP might not do the same thing with webOS. furthermore I don't see any drawbacks to such a quickboot install option for a user, except perhaps the cost of an extra button?
    i dont think that it should be a beta.. if you're coming out with a netbook with a OS that you are supposidly "Doubling Down" on , you dont throw your 1.2 Billion down the toilet for a beta that would take YEARS.. since there will be NO ADVERTISING...

    Im sorry that makes no sense.. do and Extensive Private Beta and Launch a FULL OS for Netbooks, otherwise your Not "doubling down" your taking the insurance Bet which is, as any BJ player will tell you, a fools bet!
  3. #43  
    Typical OP. Puts the cart way before donkey. Completely glances over this line from the training: "Today, let's start with the phones. Tomorrow will come soon enough" as if their going to release webOS netbooks in March.

    Do I think that it's a good idea? Prolly not. I guess netbooks are going the way of the dodo bird according to tech media elite. But large companies do things like this all the time just bc they can; see Google with it's Cr-48 Chrome notebook or Apple with the Newton, or Microsoft with the Kin, ESPN with ESPN the Magazine, and I can go on and on.

    If you keep looking you won't be able to see the forest from the trees. At least HP is working to bring different functions to webOS, which will trickle down to webOS phone and tablet users.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    But large companies do things like this all the time just bc they can; see Google with it's Cr-48 Chrome notebook or Apple with the Newton, or Microsoft with the Kin, ESPN with ESPN the Magazine, and I can go on and on.
    No, they do things because they believe that it will bring on more profit.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    i dont think that it should be a beta.. if you're coming out with a netbook with a OS that you are supposidly "Doubling Down" on , you dont throw your 1.2 Billion down the toilet for a beta that would take YEARS.. since there will be NO ADVERTISING...

    Im sorry that makes no sense.. do and Extensive Private Beta and Launch a FULL OS for Netbooks, otherwise your Not "doubling down" your taking the insurance Bet which is, as any BJ player will tell you, a fools bet!
    I'm not suggesting that they don't push tablets and smartphones with webOS simultaneously, just that they use there scale to help refine webOS for other form factors and get a larger install base using there already existent channels.

    its a way of getting webOS into users hands, without forcing them to use it, or even acknowledge it.

    I don't think a webOS only laptop is something i would be interested in at this point, especially if it did not convert to a tablet and lacked touch screen input.

    the functionality i need in a laptop isn't there, its not there on android or iOS either.

    however, having a quick boot option for somethings might actually get some use from me, especially if it say, consumed less power. I would be willing to look past lacking functionality because the device still retains it by being a windows laptop.
    There are four lights.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I'm not suggesting that they don't push tablets and smartphones with webOS simultaneously, just that they use there scale to help refine webOS for other form factors and get a larger install base using there already existent channels.

    its a way of getting webOS into users hands, without forcing them to use it, or even acknowledge it.

    I don't think a webOS only laptop is something i would be interested in at this point, especially if it did not convert to a tablet and lacked touch screen input.

    the functionality i need in a laptop isn't there, its not there on android or iOS either.

    however, having a quick boot option for somethings might actually get some use from me, especially if it say, consumed less power. I would be willing to look past lacking functionality because the device still retains it by being a windows laptop.
    fine on the quick boot , but to not advertise it and push it?? i disagree.. its the whole reason they bought palm!!
  7. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    1. Android is an open source platform. It is not pushed by Google, it is pushed my manufacturers. It is, in all seriousness, a completely different monster. It is free and it can be used by anyone for any purpose as long as they follow the GPL. [general public license]

    2. Android was at 10,000 apps the first year back when mobile interest was still all on Apple. That is significant. Consumers bought the phones for a plethora of reasons but the fact is that devs had the interest. As you say, they went from 10,000 to 100,000 in less than a year. Now they are in the driver seat. But everything was already in place specifically by Google.

    3. Okay but we're talking about a WebOS netbook here. lol
    1. Specific to what was originally quoted, I meant (see Post #24). I don't see how coming from one manufacture (webOS) "leads to consumer and developer confusion" more than coming from multiple manufacturers (Android). If anything, there would be less confusion because there would be no skinning of the OS.

    2. It wouldn't matter if Google had things in place if Android sales never picked up. It's important, but not as important as sales.

    3. Here's how I relate it to what was originally quoted. If consumer were not confused by the different form factors Android phones came in, why would they be confused by different form factors for the tablet/netbook size devices?
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    fine on the quick boot , but to not advertise it and push it?? i disagree.. its the whole reason they bought palm!!
    perhaps your right.

    I guess i am just worried that the translation to a laptop would not be as great of an experience as it is on a touchscreen device, http://forums.precentral.net/images/icons/icon11.gif and drawing attention to it before they could refine it for that purpose could backfire when it hits reviewers hands.

    But if they offer a good windows experiance, and aren't pushing it as the headline but rather a differentiating feature in adds, well perhaps your right and they would be wise to advertise it.


    anyway i think it would be an interesting thing to do, I certainly would have factored it into my recent laptop purchase, but probably not with the same weight i give say graphics capability.
    There are four lights.
  9. #49  
    I don't think a webOS netbook *would* need to have a touchscreen, OR a pointer.
    Let me explain.
    The basic paradigm for operating webos is the swipe, no? And is it not possible to swipe on a trackpad, ala a Macbook? What if all selection was done with the trackpad, a bit like operating an Android device with the trackball? Add a few more gestures, and you have a setup that would be fantastical. Swipe up from the homescreen with two fingers to start the launcher, slide with one finger to choose apps, with two fingers to scroll down or across home screens, a tap to select...
    Of course, one could build apps that used a pointer, (such as the web browser) but I think that overall, the pointer is mostly just not quite necessary.
  10. #50  
    just get me a new smartphone with improved hardware and updates specs, better developer support, and keep them up to date....and then I will consider buying into whatever ecosystem hp is leading webOS.

    lets be honest. We're all here because of SMARTPHONES. Who really needs a tablet or netbook? There's some people that need them for specific industries but as a consumer item, I'm not sure what their utility is, esp tablets. I've used ipads...to look at netflix, play angry bird on a big screen...all cool and all...but then I stop to think. What the hell? Why am I watching a netflix movie on a 10 inch screen when I could load the damn thing from my wii or bluray player and watch it from my 40 inch tv?

    don't get me wrong, I will buy a webOS whatever, even a tablet, but only because everyone else has one.

    but then...what am I gonna do with my smartphone?

    hp...help me see the beyond...
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    1. Specific to what was originally quoted, I meant (see Post #24). I don't see how coming from one manufacture (webOS) "leads to consumer and developer confusion" more than coming from multiple manufacturers (Android). If anything, there would be less confusion because there would be no skinning of the OS.

    2. It wouldn't matter if Google had things in place if Android sales never picked up. It's important, but not as important as sales.

    3. Here's how I relate it to what was originally quoted. If consumer were not confused by the different form factors Android phones came in, why would they be confused by different form factors for the tablet/netbook size devices?
    1. This is assuming that consumers are confused. Also, the Android open platform allows anyone to do anything they want with the product. That is very significant when it comes to allowing for multiple product platforms.

    2. You're ignoring the "why". As you even stated, in the first year Android had 10,000 apps. That was back when Apple reigned so it's much more significant than it sounds now. WebOS was at around 3,000 [?] apps after the first year. Sales picked up because of the platform that was set up for devs.
    We can all look now and say "well android's phones are more beastly", or however you want to say it, but the fact is that wasn't true then--even now-- the iPhone's internals are better. The devices DO help sell but they are NOT the driving factor.

    3. This is assuming that consumers are confused.
  12. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    1. This is assuming that consumers are confused. Also, the Android open platform allows anyone to do anything they want with the product. That is very significant when it comes to allowing for multiple product platforms.

    2. You're ignoring the "why". As you even stated, in the first year Android had 10,000 apps. That was back when Apple reigned so it's much more significant than it sounds now. WebOS was at around 3,000 [?] apps after the first year. Sales picked up because of the platform that was set up for devs.
    We can all look now and say "well android's phones are more beastly", or however you want to say it, but the fact is that wasn't true then--even now-- the iPhone's internals are better. The devices DO help sell but they are NOT the driving factor.

    3. This is assuming that consumers are confused.
    1. And HP can do anything they want to webOS to better fit a certain product platform.

    2. I think sales picked up because the original Droid was the most viable option to an iPhone on Verizon.

    3. Nice to agree on something.
  13. #53  
    As long as it has a sufficient app catalog (including hulu, netflix, kindle, etc) I will want one.
  14. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    What's the point of owning three different devices that all do not run your favorite apps? If you have a webOS smartphone, an iPad, and a notebook then at least one of them will run an iOS app that you really like and another will run legacy PC software that you might need once in a while. If your smartphone, tablet, and notebook all run webOS then you have three software-crippled devices. What dumb idea.
    If you're gonna get all webOS devices, that means the app catalog is sufficient for you or that the pros out weigh the cons.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    ...
    Customers have to want what you're pedaling and devs have to want to develop for what you're pedaling. Without devs customers will not want.

    HP seems to be forgetting about the devs part thus far.
    I disagree with the "devs first, then customers" concept, and also disagree that "HP seems to be forgetting about the devs part thus far".

    On the former - People lined up, I believe by the millions, when the first iPhone was delivered. The devs and the app store followed. Customers bought, then devs developed.

    On the latter - not only has HP made more tools available to Devs, the newer OS (and the hardware at a reduced price), but the meeting on Feb 9 is aimed at developers.

    Now, I agree some apps are necessary from the beginning. Even if we call the "new HP/Palm" a "new beginning", there are going to be apps to start with. HP is priming the pump. They've got a team of in-house programmers that have been working on apps in addition to the OS. They're hiring more. The growth from there is very symbiotic. If the devices catch on, third part devs will follow.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Most Android devices aren't very successful. It doesn't matter because Google only needs a few headliners to keep those ad dollars rolling. HP has to be a lot more focused and disciplined. They are producing the hardware, not licensing the software. Huge difference!

    I don't believe the general public ever embraced the netbook formfactor. They embraced the idea of a $300 notebook. The first round of netbooks sporting Linux died a bad death. It took MS putting XP on them to save netbooks. Even then, as soon as something better, iPad, was introduced, the bell started tolling for netbooks. Now, HP's big idea is to put a phone OS less popular than Linux on a dying formfactor. Brilliant!
    I think this post reveals your true motive behind starting this thread. Rather than an intelligent discussion discussion about the possibilities of a WebOS netbook (which even in the context of this discussion, is being talked about in the distant future), it was another "opportunity" for you to disparage WebOS and HP.
    Now, HP's big idea is to put a phone OS less popular than Linux on a dying formfactor. Brilliant!
    No sir, in your exhuberance to denegrate HP and WebOS, you're overlooking the obvious.

    HP's big idea is to revitalize WebOS, put the necessary resources into it to fulfill the potential that many recognized (and some, including Apple, initially feared), and then take that successful OS and expand it to other hardware.

    Yeah, I know, totally goes against what you'd like to see, but somehow I doubt HPs plans for WebOS coincide for what the Apple/Android/WP lovers on this forum want for WebOS.
  17. #57  
    Now, HP's big idea is to put a phone OS less popular than Linux on a dying formfactor. Brilliant!
    OK, I'm new here... but when did Linux become unpopular so as to compare it with the small market share of webOS??
  18. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    OK, I'm new here... but when did Linux become unpopular so as to compare it with the small market share of webOS??
    Isn't Linux hooving around 4% in terms of end-users (Desktops/laptops etc - not servers)? So fairly unpopular
  19. #59  
    Food for thought..

    Exhibition
    Just type

    Other webOS 2.x goodies on a netbook...

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Food for thought..

    Exhibition
    Just type

    Other webOS 2.x goodies on a netbook...

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

    Just type i can see the appeal of, definately, its like a user friendly command line

    exhibition however, seems less useful on a laptop or netbook because when not in use the screen is usually not being displayed. that is part by physical design, and also because the screen itself causes lots of power consumption.

    one option, I know its been tried in the past, (toshiba?) but failed i think, is to have a little screen on the lid of the laptop accessable when it is closed.

    the problem in the past has been a crappy UI and very limited functionality, webOS would certainly address those two issues.

    i don't know that i would care, but being able to quickly manage emails, media, google search, calander and what not, without opening and booting the laptop might appeal to some if done correctly.

    i think, and now im riffing again, that to make such a system really work, you would want the option to open the laptop and work on whatever it is you were doing on the secondary screen.

    for example, you get an email, check it, and decide it needs a reply. webOS could say,
    use virtual keyboard or open lid to quick compose on laptop,

    you open the lid and up pops the reply message you want to work on, or something like that. It would need to go a step further and allow you to do attachments and access the file system if you really wanted it to be a seamless experiance.

    or perhaps you could have the option to boot to windows, and have the reply message automatically pop up there.

    you get the idea
    There are four lights.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions