Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    that's right guys I just heard this from a friend who works for HP
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/16/2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: updated title
    Bring it on
    ill believe it on feb 9th
  4.    #4  
    me too I took it with a grain of salt but it sounds likely that means that they wouldn't have to manufacture different devices for each carrier
  5.    #5  
    oh man!! That sounds exactly like it. Damm.... Is it possible that HP could be doing the same and that's where apple got the idea?
    Wimax is what Sprint uses, right? I hope this rumor is true.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by djfu3l3r View Post
    that's right guys I just heard this from a friend who works for HP
    It would make sense as such a method would cut down on manufacturing costs. They'll just have to do a separate WIMax device for Sprint.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    It would make more sense for the LTE and WiMax radios to be interchangeable. Wouldn't make sense to have them both unless vzw & sprint agrees to allow unlocked phones.
    wow that would be kool indeed but we will see soon enough !! and so will you my friend !! lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I some how doubt this info, however I don't doubt it's potential. My friend who actually bought stock in Clearwire and myself have been speculating that they would have a duel LTE/WiMAX chip at some point. And if that does come true, then HP, Samsung, HTC, and yes, even Apple, would all be using that chip. And if some how they merged GSM/CDMA with it too -- which, btw, is the part I doubt -- everyone who makes phone for multiple companies would use this chip. But we shall see.
    Apple will apparently be switching to Qualcomm for their next-gen mobile stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I some how doubt this info, however I don't doubt it's potential. My friend who actually bought stock in Clearwire and myself have been speculating that they would have a duel LTE/WiMAX chip at some point. And if that does come true, then HP, Samsung, HTC, and yes, even Apple, would all be using that chip. And if some how they merged GSM/CDMA with it too -- which, btw, is the part I doubt -- everyone who makes phone for multiple companies would use this chip. But we shall see.
    Now let me actually re-state what I meant here, maybe I miss understood OP. I do not think they will make a radio with all four radios, however, I do think it is possible that they will make a CDMA/GSM and WiMAX/LTE duel radios. I think now -- reading over the endgadget.com article -- that this is what the OP meant.
    If they were to create a world phone, it would make sense to create a GSM/LTE/CDMA phone. I can't think of a reason why they'd add WiMax into that mix...
    This sounds like an "industry first" to me, anyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If they were to create a world phone, it would make sense to create a GSM/LTE/CDMA phone. I can't think of a reason why they'd add WiMax into that mix...
    With 48 counties listed as deployed WiMAX networks -- and Sprint being the third largest in the USA -- and you can't think of any reason Apple would want to use a WiMAX chip?

Plus, Apple is probably not going to make a iPhone 4G this year, according to the article listed here.
    Last edited by astraith; 01/14/2011 at 10:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    zing
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    With 48 counties listed as deployed WiMAX networks -- and Sprint being the third largest in the USA -- and you can't think of any reason Apple would want to use a WiMAX chip?

Oh, and by the way, one of those countries is Canada, with a carrier called Bell, and that carrier happens to have a 4G network ... called WiMAX.
    I didn't mean they wouldn't use WiMax, I just don't see why they would mix WiMax and LTE this soon. I think GSM/CDMA/WiMax makes sense, or GSM/CDMA/LTE, but not all 4 mixed together. I hope that clarifies my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I didn't mean they wouldn't use WiMax, I just don't see why they would mix WiMax and LTE this soon. I think GSM/CDMA/WiMax makes sense, or GSM/CDMA/LTE, but not all 4 mixed together. I hope that clarifies my post.
    Ah, yes it does! And just in case you didn't notice -- I took out that big about Bell. They stopped backing WiMAX, and will be going to LTE .
    Unfortunately it is hard to believe rumors because HP has been so good at keeping secrets. I hope what you heard was true and we get this verified.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by stevealaniz View Post
    This sounds like an "industry first" to me, anyone else?
    As soon as I read this I was thinking the same thing. I somehow don't believe this will be true, but I have thought that possibly Sprints announcement will be that it will be embracing LTE and rolling it out too. If it's possible for phones to easily support both it would make any phase out of wimax phase in of LTE fairly easy.

If we here Sprint say on the 7th that they will begin rolling out LTE then this rumor would start to look more probable.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast