Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by djfu3l3r View Post
    New HP WebOS Device to have dual GSM LTE and CDMA Wimax radios
    nothing wrong with that but i hope the got a hell of a lot more than just 4G to bring to the table.
    IF this is true, it would be a great thing, because, it puts full ownership of the phone, back into the consumers hands, as they can take that phone to any carrier they want and it should work, versus the situation we have now, where CDMA carriers force you to buy a phone for an affordable price and then lock you into their use for 2 years, and THEN they'll unlock your phone for you, versus a GSM phone which has a SIM card (as LTE devices will, reportedly) that allow use of the phone on any other GSM carrier, worldwide, should you decided to break that contract and leave that carrier for another.

Ive always felt that carriers providing phones to their costomers was sort of a "conflict of interest", and to that end, I personally prefer unlocked phones with no contract.

The rumored HP webOS phone that the OP discusses would be an extroardinarily valuable device to those who feel the way I do.

Bring it on!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    IF this is true, it would be a great thing, because, it puts full ownership of the phone, back into the consumers hands, as they can take that phone to any carrier they want and it should work, versus the situation we have now, where CDMA carriers force you to buy a phone for an affordable price and then lock you into their use for 2 years, and THEN they'll unlock your phone for you, versus a GSM phone which has a SIM card (as LTE devices will, reportedly) that allow use of the phone on any other GSM carrier, worldwide, should you decided to break that contract and leave that carrier for another.

Ive always felt that carriers providing phones to their costomers was sort of a "conflict of interest", and to that end, I personally prefer unlocked phones with no contract.

The rumored HP webOS phone that the OP discusses would be an extroardinarily valuable device to those who feel the way I do.

Bring it on!

Even though I don't want to leave Sprint, it would be nice to be able to take my phone to any carrier if I ever choose to leave.
    Originally Posted by djfu3l3r

New HP WebOS Device to have dual GSM LTE and CDMA Wimax radios.
    I hope it is so! This is an item that has been on my personal wish list for quite a while now. If HP could be the first to introduce a dual radio cross carrier device, it would be a tremendous boost in their ability to compete against the more establishes smartphone manufactures.

It would also be advantageous to have an Android emulator built into webOS so we could run both webOS and Android applications on a Palm / HP smartphone.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Unfortunately it is hard to believe rumors because HP has been so good at keeping secrets. I hope what you heard was true and we get this verified.
    And this is what mystifies me. How can the world get almost daily information on what the new Iphone 5 and Ipad 2 will contain; size, shape, additional features, etc, and absolutely nothing about palmpad? If HP is manufacturing palmpads in China for example (if they are) why don't we hear anything? No photos, or gossip items, etc, can be seen or heard. It begs the question; is Apple allowing the leaks to keep attention on their product? Because it sure is working! But HP....... nothing!
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    As much as I don't think this is happening, this is definitely "beyond" as in beyond the borders of our home countries
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    now if these phones have the dual gsm/cdma, or wimax/lte, and i have sprint, would this allow me to roam on a gsm/lte network? if so does that mean both radios will be searching for signals all the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Ah, yes it does! And just in case you didn't notice -- I took out that big about Bell. They stopped backing WiMAX, and will be going to LTE .
    what would be the use case where all 4 would make sense until LTE is more widely available in a couple years. You could certainly be right, but I can't think of the scenario unless sprint and verizon start allowing unlocked phones from other carriers - which ain't happening unless/until the FCC or EU mandates it...
    Quote Originally Posted by PREferred View Post
    If HP is manufacturing palmpads in China for example (if they are) why don't we hear anything? No photos, or gossip items, etc, can be seen or heard.
    Don't be mystified. Apple and most companies build new product releases in mass before they are released, hence the leaks. If the HP Slate 500 is any example of the way HP is handling new product manufacturing, then there's no chance for leaks on the manufacturing side. The Slate 500 has seemingly been manufactured on a made to order basis, the devices are being built in China as the orders come in. Hence the 79 days between order date and delivery date for this new tablet device.

Due to the lack of mass production before the product is released, folks who preorder as well as the people who order during the first few months after a product is released are forced to endure long backorder delays before they receive their purchase.

The impact of this methodology can be multi-facited. On one hand, pre-production costs are reduced substantially. How much does Apple spend making millions of devices before the product is actually released. HP spent (risked) practically nothing on manufacturing the Slate 500 until they had a solid idea on how strong demand would be for the device. Additionally this methodology minimizes the chance of leaks for most companies that have not built up a sheild of fear as part of their security. Apple has managed to build up an internal fear factor which just so happens to buffer their entire path to production. they can have millions of devices pre-made before release and not worry about a janitor stuffing one under their jacket or a designer slipping a document to endgadget.

On the other hand, employing a made to order strategy for product release can backfire. If demand is high for a product, and processes for mass production are not in place, or manufacturing supplies are limited at time of product release, then not having those millions of units in a wherehouse ready to deliver can result in consumer angst, as has happened with people who ordered the HP Slate 500.

Yes, this strategy minimizes pre-production costs and security leaks before a device comes to market because for sure we won't see a PalmPad until the day HP decides to show it to us, BUT, it could also spell the death of Palm and WebOS in the future.

I fear the PalmPad although a device with great promise and the best operating system may face the same hurdles getting to market. If this is the case, the Palm brand and WebOS will surely die. The PalmPad has no chance of saving the Palm brand or launching HP WebOS to the forefront if HP employs the same manufacturing strategy for the device as they used for the Slate 500.

I know I gave more than you bargained for in this thread, however the point is relevent to the question posed, and brushes upon the survival of Palm and WebOS into the future. No charge for the extra food for thought I included. It's all for free!

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Don't be mystified. Apple and most companies build new product releases in mass before they are released, hence the leaks. If the HP Slate 500 is any example of the way HP is handling new product manufacturing, then there's no chance for leaks on the manufacturing side. The Slate 500 has seemingly been manufactured on a made to order basis, the devices are being built in China as the orders come in. Hence the 79 days between order date and delivery date for this new tablet device.

Due to the lack of mass production before the product is released, folks who preorder as well as the people who order during the first few months after a product is released are forced to endure long backorder delays before they receive their purchase.

The impact of this methodology can be multi-facited. On one hand, pre-production costs are reduced substantially. How much does Apple spend making millions of devices before the product is actually released. HP spent (risked) practically nothing on manufacturing the Slate 500 until they had a solid idea on how strong demand would be for the device. Additionally this methodology minimizes the chance of leaks for most companies that have not built up a sheild of fear as part of their security. Apple has managed to build up an internal fear factor which just so happens to buffer their entire path to production. they can have millions of devices pre-made before release and not worry about a janitor stuffing one under their jacket or a designer slipping a document to endgadget.

On the other hand, employing a made to order strategy for product release can backfire. If demand is high for a product, and processes for mass production are not in place, or manufacturing supplies are limited at time of product release, then not having those millions of units in a wherehouse ready to deliver can result in consumer angst, as has happened with people who ordered the HP Slate 500.

Yes, this strategy minimizes pre-production costs and security leaks before a device comes to market because for sure we won't see a PalmPad until the day HP decides to show it to us, BUT, it could also spell the death of Palm and WebOS in the future.

I fear the PalmPad although a device with great promise and the best operating system may face the same hurdles getting to market. If this is the case, the Palm brand and WebOS will surely die. The PalmPad has no chance of saving the Palm brand or launching HP WebOS to the forefront if HP employs the same manufacturing strategy for the device as they used for the Slate 500.

I know I gave more than you bargained for in this thread, however the point is relevent to the question posed, and brushes upon the survival of Palm and WebOS into the future. No charge for the extra food for thought I included. It's all for free!

TTB
    I agree and thanks for the extra "food for thought". I had thought the same thing myself but just couldn't bring myself around to accepting that HP would make such a huge mistake twice in a row. That's why I made the suggestion that Apple is leaking info. I believe that unless HP has a totally fabulous product and has them ready for sale immediately, they will lose bigtime.
    And this is what mystifies me. How can the world get almost daily information on what the new Iphone 5 and Ipad 2 will contain; size, shape, additional features, etc, and absolutely nothing about palmpad? If HP is manufacturing palmpads in China for example (if they are) why don't we hear anything? No photos, or gossip items, etc, can be seen or heard. It begs the question; is Apple allowing the leaks to keep attention on their product? Because it sure is working! But HP....... nothing!
    Could be an issue of demand. Honestly, the overwhelming demand for info on upcoming Apple products is way beyond any demand for leaks about HP products. If half the population was clamoring for the PalmPad, I'm confident we would've had blurry-cam photos and "in the wild" shots of the real thing and eight knockoffs by now.
    they acknowledged the manufacturing contracts. might not have actually started building them so there isn't anything to take blurry photos of, perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    they acknowledged the manufacturing contracts. might not have actually started building them so there isn't anything to take blurry photos of, perhaps?
    And that's what I'm afraid of! The HP "conference" is just three weeks away. I would suggest that if HP "talks" about what they want to do, and don't actually have the products, it will all be considered as just "talk" again. I hope for HP's sake the "go build" order has been given. Just to personalize this issue; I want to buy a palmpad and a new phone on February 10th. (my 2009 original pre minus is dying a slow death). I also know I am not alone in wanting these items.
    Exactly. That reinforces some points made in my post above. If HP has not started manufacturing the PalmPad yet, it will come to market the same way the Slate 500 has, very slowly. If that happens, the PalmPad, the Palm brand, and WebOS will wither away at the hands of HP's marketing and manufacturing processes.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    And that's what I'm afraid of! The HP "conference" is just three weeks away. I would suggest that if HP "talks" about what they want to do, and don't actually have the products, it will all be considered as just "talk" again. I hope for HP's sake the "go build" order has been given. Just to personalize this issue; I want to buy a palmpad and a new phone on February 10th. (my 2009 original pre minus is dying a slow death). I also know I am not alone in wanting these items.
    I wanted to buy a Slate 500 on November 1st, so I did.

Sadly, it has not shipped yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I wanted to buy a Slate 500 on November 1st, so I did.

Sadly, it has not shipped yet.
    I did the same thing. But a few weeks ago I cancelled my order out of total dismay. I may be wrong, hope I'm wrong, but if we see the same thing with the palmpad.......... I am afraid! So even if the new HP WebOS device is going to have dual GSM LTE and CDMA Wimax radios, I doubt it will be enough on its own to make a difference.
    what would be the use case where all 4 would make sense until LTE is more widely available in a couple years. You could certainly be right, but I can't think of the scenario unless sprint and verizon start allowing unlocked phones from other carriers - which ain't happening unless/until the FCC or EU mandates it...
    i suppose it would make sense for the purpose of 4G roaming agreements. both Sprints Wimax and Verizons LTE networks are tiny. I'm sure customers would appreciate being able to get the faster speeds in more areas...
    If they were to create a world phone, it would make sense to create a GSM/LTE/CDMA phone. I can't think of a reason why they'd add WiMax into that mix...
    Because WiMax is big in Korea and even somewhat in the USA.

BUT keep in mind, they cannot create a world phone using GSM/LTE/CDMA.. Reason:

GSM would work fine for world phone, I suppose, but it best be quad band
    LTE would NOT work fine for a world phone -- VZW is using 700MHz; MetroPCS uses 1700MHz; Europe will have 900, 1800, 2600 MHz; Asia will have 1800 and 2600 MHz; and Australia will have 1800 MHz.
    CDMA isn't the best for world phones, because there are only a handful of networks using it. I think you meant UMTS/WCDMA, which is 3G for GSM networks (despite being a CDMA-based technology).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    ^^ya, that ^^

acronym soup strikes again.
    ^^ya, that ^^

acronym soup strikes again.
    But it's tasty and full of fiber!

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast