Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    As a thought for future devices, would a flip-phone design ever show up? It might be the same screen size as the Pre Plus, but would close, which would protect the screen and keyboard when you were not trying to use the phone.

I know that there are times when people want to put their phone in their pocket, or women might want to just throw it in a purse without the risk of scratching the screen, and a flip-phone design might do the trick.

What do you think?
    <<Thread Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    They'd have to REALLY design it right. I dont see the old style of flip phones coming back into popularity.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I think that would never work for a flagship device but it would be possible to pull it off as an entry level Palm phone maybe like an upgraded version of the Pixi.

You have to think a lot of HP's target market is going to be people who currently don't have a smart phone rather than trying to pull people from other smartphone platforms. And a lot of the people with dumb phones are using and used to using flip phones so it would be an easier transition to a smart phone if it was a familliar form factor and a reasonably low price point.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I would consider it. I liked that feature of the flip phone (protecting the main screen)...I like the riverstone form of the pre, so it would have to compete with that...I don't really like the curved slider because it seems like I have to baby it (had 2 pre's crack at the usb port - I insist the curve adds stress to the phone). It would need a small external screen though, and two cameras.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I personally kinda like flip phones but it would be a sales disaster. The new blackberry flip phone has been slammed for having such an "oudated form factor."
    I really like flip phones, and am surprised they have dropped so much in popularity. They never accidentally make phone calls when you sit on them, they protect the screen, they have a simple and intuitive way to answer the phone and the hang up. What's not to like?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    As a thought for future devices, would a flip-phone design ever show up? It might be the same screen size as the Pre Plus, but would close, which would protect the screen and keyboard when you were not trying to use the phone.

I know that there are times when people want to put their phone in their pocket, or women might want to just throw it in a purse without the risk of scratching the screen, and a flip-phone design might do the trick.

What do you think?
    i just saw in laptop magazine a study saying that 87% of people like the flip style for their phones
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    i just saw in laptop magazine a study saying that 87% of people like the flip style for their phones
    It's the "BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY!" effect. Star Trek lives on...
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I really like flip phones, and am surprised they have dropped so much in popularity. They never accidentally make phone calls when you sit on them, they protect the screen, they have a simple and intuitive way to answer the phone and the hang up. What's not to like?
    I think the biggest drawback is the limitation to screen size. If you have a true flip phone, your screen size is necessarily going to be no bigger than the Pixi's. Any larger and the phone just becomes WAY too huge and unruly when opened. I suppose they could overcome this with some sort of asymmetrical design, but then you run into the problem of part of the screen not being protected by the other half of the clamshell.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I think if you buy a flip style phone, you should be forced to use phrases from 1995 while you talk on it.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I used to use the Kyocera 7135 and absolutely loved the form factor. I'm not sure I'm willing to give up that screen real estate anymore though.
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
    what people fail to realize is that most people still don't use smart phones it's probably like 30% of the market, so the flip phone market is still thriving, but in general, flip phone are used by people who like simple phones, somehow you must combine the simplicity of a flip phone with WebOS, such as an scaled down OS that's very simple while allowing app portability, like an entry level phone
    I had the Kyocera 7135 too, and I loved it. The PalmOS equivalent of the gesture area was the graffiti area and the soft buttons. They were on the half with the keyboard, and the entire top half was just the normal PalmOS color screen. A big device by today's standards, but definitely a good option to offer. Blackberry has done well with their flip phone because it allows for a larger screen without making the overall device into such a big slab like the Curve or Storm.

http://www.wirefly.com/images/phones...verizon_z1.jpg

http://www.pencomputing.com/palm/pen...135-cradle.jpg

That screen was way bigger than the Pixi's
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You sure about that?

Kyocera 7135 screen size = 2.5" (160 x 160 resolution)

Pixi screen size = 2.63" (320 x 400 resolution)
    I'd say, no. RIM has already gone through two versions of a flip smartphone that have been lack-luster at best. It might be something they'll consider 5-10 years from now when the style might come back into popularity, all styles eventually come back into popularity, but for now it would be a terrible waste of resources.

The best thing for them to do is stick with the candybar Pixi, increase the screen size to match the Pre and Droid Pro screen sizes. Maybe try to gain a little more screen size from the Pre's form factor without increasing it's dimensions, and release a slab "superphone" to be a direct competitor with iPhone and flagship Andorid devices. Also they need to make sure they all scale among the devices. Don't pull the same thing they did with the Pixi 1 and Pre 1 with screen resolution and hardware compatibility. If you want to court developers then make their jobs easier.

Trying to court dumbphone owners with a flip style is pointless because that's really not the major purchasing point for those users. Usually it's simplicity and price that are the driving force for those users.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    You sure about that?

Kyocera 7135 screen size = 2.5" (160 x 160 resolution)

Pixi screen size = 2.63" (320 x 400 resolution)
    Good catch, but I was including the graffiti section below the hinge because on a Palm PDA they were all one screen, and they worked as if they were a continuous screen when using PDA functions. Low resolution, but very easy to read and use with the stylus. Ahh, the good old days!
    I think it was narrower than my Palm V, but was still close to 3" diagnonally. The low resolution meant that icons were really big, and I could change to a larger font, or bold the standard font to make it readable. I wish they'd add that to webOS...

Too bad I sold my 7135. I should have kept all of my old Palm devices...

I'll see if I can find dimensions.
    For its time, the 7135 was a nice phone. It was also analog and digital too so it would work out on the fringes of Verizon's still-growing digital network. Ah memories.
    It was a lot more satisfying to hang up the phone when you are MAD on a flip phone than a non-flip, the flip you can slam shut, the non flip you have to swipe to end or whatever.

I also miss NEXTEL's little flip open button they had on some of their phones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast