Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    since palm practically has no mindshare, hp doesn't have much to gain from that aspect. and for those customers out there that are familiar with the name, they will all to often associate it with the pre's hardware shortcomings and missing features of early versions of webos.

no point in keeping the palm name. ditch it. start fresh. and hope for more than 1% market share.

long live webos!
    Call it anything you want as long it is running webOS.
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I Agree i dont care about the palm name, its silly to worry about losing the palm name
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I actually don't agree. HP has a stigma in the market when it comes to the phone arena -due to the ipaq. People I've talked to say things like "HP doesn't know how to do phones". Sure a lot of people think of Palm as failed or no of the recent hardware problem, but there are still even more people that know Palm for being THE pda/smartphone company! HP can revitalize the Palm name simply as a smartphone while pushing devices by HP -all powered by HP webOS!

Even though it's lost mindshare, there are PLENTY of people that simply haven't heard of the Pre & its shortcomings -I still wow people with my slower-running Sprint Pre! ...and I STILL get people saying "Oh wow, that's a Palm phone?!?"
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    I actually don't agree. HP has a stigma in the market when it comes to the phone arena -due to the ipaq. People I've talked to say things like "HP doesn't know how to do phones". Sure a lot of people think of Palm as failed or no of the recent hardware problem, but there are still even more people that know Palm for being THE pda/smartphone company! HP can revitalize the Palm name simply as a smartphone while pushing devices by HP -all powered by HP webOS!

Even though it's lost mindshare, there are PLENTY of people that simply haven't heard of the Pre & its shortcomings -I still wow people with my slower-running Sprint Pre! ...and I STILL get people saying "Oh wow, that's a Palm phone?!?"
    I agree with you 100%. Palm still has a better name in the world of smartphones than HP does. And like you said, No one has really even heard of Palm anyway. I doubt it would do any damage to keep the name. Look at Apple, Macs were a joke in the PC world at one point....Not anymore.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Palm is cooler than HP. That's just a fact.
    I don't know what they will do but I can tell you what I would do:

I'd keep the Palm name around but just slap the HP logo on things. People know of Palm as being the PDA/smartphone company. HP is known for their good computers and decent hardware. Combine both and people might just think that the two together would be a good thing
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    and for those customers out there that are familiar with the name, they will all to often associate it with the pre's hardware shortcomings and missing features of early versions of webOS
    I would wager that these people already are in the smartphone arena with their iPhones, Androids, BB's, etc.

Average Joe Blow will associate Palm more readily than they will HP..... for the time being.

Prior to me getting a Pre, the ONLY thing I associated with Palm was the Pilot and an old dairy distributor my Dad worked for on Vancouver Island when I was a kid.

Being that there still is a lot of room for growth for ALL companies, I really don't think the Palm name has a stigma outside of those in the know, at the very least, it's still recognizable.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I would wager that these people already are in the smartphone arena with their iPhones, Androids, BB's, etc.

Average Joe Blow will associate Palm more readily than they will HP..... for the time being.

Prior to me getting a Pre, the ONLY thing I associated with Palm was the Pilot and an old dairy distributor my Dad worked for on Vancouver Island when I was a kid.

Being that there still is a lot of room for growth for ALL companies, I really don't think the Palm name has a stigma outside of those in the know, at the very least, it's still recognizable.
    In the US maybe, in the rest of the world, Palm might as well be called WANGTECH for the difference it makes.

Regardless, I think the Palm name is dead.
    We at P|C need to start using HP instead of HP Palm or HPalm or just Palm.
    Stick to Palm for smartphones everything else HP, for the time being. At least palm has some "mindshare" in the mobile phone space. Those who say palm doesn't probably are little kids who just started using smartphones recently, and havent used anything other than android or iphone.
    Palm still calls themselves HP Palm.

I think the Palm brand still has a lot of value and name recognition. They may phase it out over time, but in the near term I think you will see the Palm name on hardware, and the HP name on webOS.

On the other hand, I don't think "Pre" or "Pixi" have value (or have negative value) and should be eliminated from next-generation devices.
    I dont care, was never the brand-guy. As long as webOS fits my needs ill stay with it, even if the next phone is call "HP Purst - the smarter ladyphone"

I just hope that they do not put some ugly HP logo on the front (see ipaq) i like the decent palm logo on the back.
    If they kill the Palm name, will they kill the PalmPad name?

I wouldn't be surprised if they did do away with the Palm name. They have already started, so its just a matter of time probably. While people might not think highly of the Pre (outside of this site that is!), I think there are a lot of people who did have very positive experiences with the Centro and the Treo who might be willing to give Palm another chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by runsweetlew View Post
    If they kill the Palm name, will they kill the PalmPad name?
    Well, we'll know that for sure on Feb. 9th.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I like the current palm logo although hp logo isn't too bad. But if they are going to make a comeback it would be better if it's still palm.
    I'm sure the hardware will carry the Palm brand at least this year. If the Palm brand tests worse than HP at some point, they'll change it. If it gets stronger, they'll keep it.

But either way, I'm sure they won't change the name this year. I'd be surprised if they change the Palm logo at all, except maybe changing the orange circle to a blue one...

We will know in just a few weeks!
    If you want to watch something funny, say "Palm Pre" to a Best Buy or Sprint rep.

They shudder involuntarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    We at P|C need to start using HP instead of HP Palm or HPalm or just Palm.

Notice the logo in the upper left corner on this page... It says "HP Palm" so it doesn't make sense that P|C members would need to call them something else... just sayin

Home - HP Palm Developer Center
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast