Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by boerner View Post
    Palm is cooler than HP. That's just a fact.
    I hope they keep Palm name alive, there is a lot of great history with it. However, I want to buy it soon regardless of what they call it!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Palm does have mindshare, especially with older users that have use pdas in the past. HP gained tons of patents AND a somewhat rabid base (if not small) of enthusiasts. If there was no loyalty whatsoever to Palm's history, nobody would bother to post these "I'm leaving" threads...they'd just go. If it had no mindshare, we would never have had Preware, the Sprint Pre Plus, the Pre 2 working on Sprint and so forth.

Make no mistake....the mindshare is there...it's not huge...but it's there and could get huge IF HP plays their cards right.....
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ntjoe View Post
    Palm does have mindshare, especially with older users that have use pdas in the past. HP gained tons of patents AND a somewhat rabid base (if not small) of enthusiasts. If there was no loyalty whatsoever to Palm's history, nobody would bother to post these "I'm leaving" threads...they'd just go. If it had no mindshare, we would never have had Preware, the Sprint Pre Plus, the Pre 2 working on Sprint and so forth.

Make no mistake....the mindshare is there...it's not huge...but it's there and could get huge IF HP plays their cards right.....
    ...and it's a great name for a device that actually _does_ fit in the palm of your hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by ntjoe View Post

I agree the palm brand name is iconic and represents a long history of handheld PDAs and smartphones. The OP must be too young to appreciate all of the technical contributions made by Palm and Handspring. The mindshare and name recognition of Palm is not a negative one in the eyes of us who have had several generations of Palm devices.

I also think the Palm Pre is a great device in bad hardware. From what I have read about the Pre 2, the hardware is solid and the original Palm Pre form factor functions well on it. It would be nice to be able to get the Pre 2 as a replacement for aging Pre and Pre Plus phones. I see a lot of great Palm branded hardware devices coming from HP in the future.

Long live Palm!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if HP uses Palm as a sub brand instead of a main brand. HP has been a fan of sub brands for a long time with their "photosmart, deskjet, businessjet" etc printers and "pavillion, envy, etc" desktops and laptops. In fact I would also not be surprised if they eventually build more than one sub brand of phone. Perhaps the HP Palm smartphones being say the business oriented ones and the HP (insert nane here) phones for consumers. Not saying this would be a good or bad way to go but HP does love their sub branding a lot.

- Phil -
    PalmSmart, PalmJet... Me likey.
    lol ha ha your just all over the place today Tim !! lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I am in complete agreement with the idea of killing the Palm name.

Complete and utter agreement.

Anytime I bring up the world Palm around anyone the look on their face tells it all.

Bad reputations are hard, very hard, to get rid of.

Look at Sprint.
    They have come leaps and bounds from what they were.
    Network, customer service, and even phone lineup.

Yet the stigma is still there.
    I don't know about re-branding, or dropping the name.

for example swapping palm for ipaq would be, IMHO stupid.

however, one move I think they should certainly make (and probably are) is to put marketing muscle behind webOS as a name to get in peoples minds.

Much in the same way android or google phone have become a way to get people to instantly recognize the branding of any given handset, HP needs people to recognize and respect webOS.

too many names at this point isn't a good idea IMHO, so it should be webOS devices in general

palm phones, perhaps, HP printers, slates tablets whatever, but people should be able to recognize and feel some connection/interest/familiarity/trust by knowing it is a webOS device.

thats just my limited take on marketing, but i think it is especially prudent given that webOS already has a great google search factor associated with it. for the past 2 years webOS itself has garnered praise for all the right reasons, a new consumer hitting google (which lets face it most people do use before buying a device) will see great reviews for webOS, and several years of info on it, making it seem more like an established platform.

so in the end, i don't think the palm brand matters too much, i think the real thing they should focus on is webOS, and getting that into peoples minds.
    There are four lights.
    Palm is dead at least thrice over. It is high time the name reflect that reality. Other names in need of dropping include the Pre, Pixi, and webOS. Neither name is strong, successful, or suitable for enhancing brand value.

I have always thought webOS was a horrible name for an operating system. During a time when the iPhone was flexing its muscle as a highly robust development platform, and shedding its origins as a platform for mere web apps, Palm comes along and says, "We're the platform for web apps!" Bad idea!

Palm, then tried to convince people that web apps could be just as robust as those made for the iPhone. Turns out web apps are only just web apps after all. Even if they had been right about their claim, putting "web" in the name makes it should like something for surfing the web and very casual use. webOS does not sound like it is up for things that a "real" OS could handle. Not saying they should get rid of wOS, just the name.

Take all the fail of the last two years, burry it in a deep hole, and walk away. You can't reinvent the brand anymore. It has already been reinvented too many times. HP needs to take what technology they can from their purchase, and invent a new brand that is not dragged down by past failures, or glories. Time to move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    since palm practically has no mindshare, hp doesn't have much to gain from that aspect. and for those customers out there that are familiar with the name, they will all to often associate it with the pre's hardware shortcomings and missing features of early versions of webos.

no point in keeping the palm name. ditch it. start fresh. and hope for more than 1% market share.

long live webos!
    I dont think people really associate the pre with hardware shortcomings and missing features in early versions, Most people probably thought of it the same as I did when I first saw a commercial for it. I thought thats really weird who does a vertical slider, I then passed it on as being a phone I would never want. Its not until I researched it a bit that I decided not to judge a book by its cover. The point is people dont like the pre because it had a strange hardware set up
    I think this talk of dropping the Palm name was inferred by the media to make all of this seem juicy. The media is just fishing for a story.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Well, for those of you which think that a bad reputation is hard to rid in a short space of time, although difficult, it can be done. Look at Jaguar for instance. Just three years ago, everyone outside of those loyal to the brand thought it was a joke, but now they are actually going really well and are actually making a profit! (a first in over 20 years). Anyway, the car industry moving somewhat slower than the phone industry, Palm and Jaguar were both at a time renowned as the best in their own crowds, the definite PDA's/smart phones and luxury/sport cars respectively. Now what Jaguar has turned itself around with great products, an injection of money and great advertisements everywhere, it's now Palm's turn.
    Dont know if this has been brought up before but has anyone else noticed that when you post on facebook from your phone it shows up on the main page as posting from HP webOS?
    Yeah, it's been noticed and posted about by many...

But Leo Apotheker's quip about launching a new product line under a new name was pretty clear - like it or not, "Palm" as a brand seems to be done for.

The King is dead! Long live the King!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12