Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so a lot of people are complaining about the new small phone that's is seeming more and more likely to be revealed on Feb 9 (along with other formfactors!!!)

I think the idea is good, if webOS technology moves forward in a direction the HP guys have been hinting at.

What could be is that you pay your service provider for a data plan corresponding not to a particular device, but to a palm profile.

going to school, log into your phone and/or your tablet. going out, working out, whatever doesn't need a huge phone, log into the tinyphone and clip it on.

I don't know if that makes sense, but it's kind of a cool idea.
    Makes sense, but I'd never go for it.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Makes sense, but I'd never go for it.

Sent from my eVo
    Go for what?

You're not prejudice, are you??
    Let's say I am, when it comes to certain features.

Sent from my eVo
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Let's say I am, when it comes to certain features.

Sent from my eVo
    And what features is this "new small webos phone" lacking?
    Size and form factor!

Sent from my eVo
    geez... Nothing has even been unveiled and the negative judgements are flying. How about we wait until we actually see something first...then the anti-this-and-that can start.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    geez... Nothing has even been unveiled and the negative judgements are flying. How about we wait until we actually see something first...then the anti-this-and-that can start.
    bah, impossible.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Well, in this thread, all that was said was that someone didn't prefer a small phone. I don't see that as very negative, but I agree that a wait and see approach is better.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I always used to think that I'd rather have a smaller phone. Always bought the flip phone that I could put in my front jeans pocket. Even bought the Pixi 'cause I was worried the Pre would be too bulky and the slider would cause problems when carrying in my pocket.

I'm actually thinking my next phone will likely be something bigger though...something with a 4" or larger screen. As for pocket sizing, I'll make it work. I just don't think a smart phone interface works well on the smaller screens. I like the Pixi fine, but any upgrade will need to be for more screen real estate as well. That doesn't mean a tiny phone won't work at all. I think there will be a market for it, albeit a small one (no pun intended).

One thing I'll never do is buy a belt clip or holster.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I think a full screen phone with a form factor similar in size to the Pixi would be a good start. I probably would not get one myself but that would be the perfect upgrade for my wife.

Personally after using the Evo for a while I am hooked on big screen phones. I tried to use my wife's pixi last night and almost went cross eyed trying to do anything on it.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
    It'd be pretty sweet if the phone were as small as an ipod nano... so you could put it in a wristwatch band, a candybar "jacket", a 3.5" jacket, 4" jacket, a 4.3" jacket, a 5" jacket (whatever fits your hand or suits your mood), a tablet, a netbook, a PC, or whatever.

The Atrix idea is pretty slick, but I think something like this could be slicker.

It'd almost be like adding SIM cards to CDMA carriers. Want the candybar w/ keyboard for class instead of the slab? Snap, crackle, pop.... and DONE!
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I would actually use the feature OP describes. I like the idea that I can grab a cheap(er) phone and head out to a job site without worrying about crushing, scratching, dropping, etc. it. If the cheaper device somehow got better battery life and sync'd to my palm profile it would be the perfect beat'm up phone.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    I'd like to see a pixi form factor as well. I like the idea of a small, light and fast smart phone. If the future of smart phone design is 5" screened, 1/2 pound rectangles, then I'm going to be very disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    It'd be pretty sweet if the phone were as small as an ipod nano... so you could put it in a wristwatch band, a candybar "jacket", a 3.5" jacket, 4" jacket, a 4.3" jacket, a 5" jacket (whatever fits your hand or suits your mood), a tablet, a netbook, a PC, or whatever.
    This looks and sounds exactly like the Modu. But they're closing shop in February.

Not so great in paper AND in real life, methinks.

http://technmarketing.com/wp-content..._modu3_par.jpg

http://mobbit.info/media/5/modu_9.jpg

http://www.joefission.com/wp-content...8/03/modu1.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Well, in this thread, all that was said was that someone didn't prefer a small phone. I don't see that as very negative, but I agree that a wait and see approach is better.
    Ya, kinda hard to see it as anything but negative when rejecting something unseen that may not exist!

Sort of like when my kids told me they "hated" particular food that they'd never heard of, seen, or tried... Or the iPad. I was sure I'd hate that but I totally want one now - or hopefully a great alternative from Palm.

I think it's more fun to talk about what they might be creating for us, rather than why it won't work before we even know it's real.

My $0.02
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    I would actually use the feature OP describes. I like the idea that I can grab a cheap(er) phone and head out to a job site without worrying about crushing, scratching, dropping, etc. it. If the cheaper device somehow got better battery life and sync'd to my palm profile it would be the perfect beat'm up phone.
    If voice commands worked well enough, how about fitting the entire phone into a bluetooth sized headset? Then figure out how to use an iPod Touch (or whatever) for a display if/when it's ever needed? Or maybe something the size of the Nano that snaps into the side of a PalmPad to provide voice and/or 3G data, but both could also be used separatey? I would be down with that...

Remember these?

http://www.gadgets-reviews.com/uimg/...one-gadget.jpg
    Or the LG Decoy on Verizon?
    Cool Tools Happy Blog: Verizon phone has built-in Bluetooth headset | Network World

Of course it wasn't a major success, but it also wasn't a very good headset and it wasn't a smartphone...

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2008/10/lg-decoy.jpg

Imagine if a phone could slide into the PalmPad and they share functionality and/or radios. You could certainly snap a headset it elsewhere on the PalmPad or phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If voice commands worked well enough, how about fitting the entire phone into a bluetooth sized headset? Then figure out how to use an iPod Touch (or whatever) for a display if/when it's ever needed? Or maybe something the size of the Nano that snaps into the side of a PalmPad to provide voice and/or 3G data, but both could also be used separatey? I would be down with that...
    What about battery life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    What about battery life?
    The theory works like this...

Small phone = Small battery = Short life.

I'd never seen that Modu before, but that's the concept alright. I have a feeling that some Android-lovin' cell phone manufacturer is going to create a profitable design in the next year or two. Would be way swet!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast