Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    The theory works like this...

Small phone = Small battery = Short life.

I'd never seen that Modu before, but that's the concept alright. I have a feeling that some Android-lovin' cell phone manufacturer is going to create a profitable design in the next year or two. Would be way swet!!
    Actually it could mean, Small Phone = Smaller Power Requirements = Normal Battery Life. He seemed to suggest a 100% voice command and computer voice interface. So, an earpiece phone would be a phone from the 80s, just compact and voice calling, text dictation (both in and out), and a few commands to access contacts to call or text. Have the screen device house the other parts like the 3G radio. The more I think about it the more I'm liking the idea.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    What about battery life?
    Hopefully Palm follows Apple and puts a massive battery in the PalmPad. The iPad is basically a huge battery with an LCD attached to it, which is why they can go for days between charges.

If they built a device that was integrated enough and useful enough that you carried them both just like most iPhone/iPad owners seem to... the phone could buddy-breath from the PalmPad battery and be have the charge topped off at all times. Just brainstorming, because it seems to me that a PalmPad might be the perfect device for most uses, and being able to use the 3g radio of the phone automatically (like MHS but without user intervention) you'd have an amazing combination.

I could see this being useful in a Kindle size, and an iPad size... As long as you can make phone calls with it... it would be way ahead of the competition that still requires the user to carry another device.

In the case of what I'm suggesting, they would work and operate as a single device, so the PalmPad screen would satisfy those wanting a big slab phone, and the phone module could get buy with smaller elements because it would be more used for just for calls, whether inserted into the PalmPad or detached.

If you put that in something the size of the Kindle, or let the phone share the PalmPad display wirelessly so it can stay in my pocket... I'd be all over that.

Wouldn't work with a belt holster, but I would adapt! Just sayin.
    I doubt it.

Why would they separate the cellular chipset from the main body of the device, if it still needs bluetooth to connect??? ...

That'd be too user-friendly if it just snapped into multiple devices.

And would it truly be be beneficial to HP?

AHH!! I'm going crazy! I can't wait!!!!!

edit: guess it doesn't NEED bluetooth, eh?
    not necessarily talking about bluetooth to connect to the pad. Maybe just from the ear bud to the phone, which is hardwired into the pad when snapped in place. If you ever see the youtube videos of the HP Slate, they put all the serial numbers and stuff that is usually on the bottom of a laptop and made a little tab that you can slide out to look if you ever need that info.

No imagine if that was about the thickness of a pixi, and slid into the side like a PC card or snapped into place on the back. I may not be explaining what I see in my head, but I'll buy it when someone makes it!
    This would actually be pretty awesome. And it totally fits being that I remember someone being quoted about the smallest handset ever. It would give people reason to carry around a tablet. The phone is so damn small ppl won't wanna play on it as much, but will be able to if they need to. Plug it in the tablet and the Palmpad gains 3g/4g, 16g of memory. an extra camera perhaps.

Cause It really solves the problem with phones like the EVO and droid 2. They don't have an option. Ppl with a droid 2 always have a ridiculously huge phone with them; somewhere between a tablet and a phone. Even when they have no need for it.

Palmpad owners will have a choice. Leave the tablet at home if you are just going to a quick coffee or something. going to the DMV? Take both! but have the advantage of only carrying one device. who is really gonna carry around a phone and a tablet? (ipad owners)
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    geez... Nothing has even been unveiled and the negative judgements are flying. How about we wait until we actually see something first...then the anti-this-and-that can start.
    That's surely an argument against the whole thread, isn't it? If people are predicting/speculating on a future product, then surely others can say if the don't think it's for them??
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    the thread can speculate what they might do, or what someone hopes for, without assuming that whatver palm does will fail or disappoint. Just sayin
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    The theory works like this...

Small phone = Small battery = Short life.
    The formula in this theory would be more complex.

(small phone - major features) + (tablet device + "missing" phone features + larger battery) = usable phone + all needed features + larger battery = happy customers

You gotta thinkbeyond
    If they actually do my idea of actually putting the phone in the tablet, which others here share, then they should call the device the HP Twin, and market the devices as one device.
    Been reacquainting myself with the Palm Pixi the past few days...

I definitely wouldn't mind a phone as small as the Pixi but with the power of a Pre, then a tablet...

Mobility is the key..

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The formula in this theory would be more complex.

(small phone - major features) + (tablet device + "missing" phone features + larger battery) = usable phone + all needed features + larger battery = happy customers

You gotta thinkbeyond

So what if it's a bog standard phone and tablet - have HP failed to think beyond?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    So what if it's a bog standard phone and tablet - have HP failed to think beyond?
    Guess it would depend on what else they offered. I showed only one possible option of what they're talking about. I'm not nearly self-centered enough to believe the my vision is the only possible vision.

KnowuddimeanJean?
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Guess it would depend on what else they offered. I showed only one possible option of what they're talking about. I'm not nearly self-centered enough to believe the my vision is the only possible vision.

KnowuddimeanJean?
    But you have commented to a few of us is that we aren't think beyond enough and are too limited in our thinking. So thinking of two bog-standard devices that don't connect *is* thinking beyond now?

In your view of course.
  14. Evansgw
    Why not a 'myfi' about the size of a car key remote, that you can attach to your key ring, thus carrying it around with you.

The 'myfi' provides the 3G and interconnectivity between a phone and tablet.

The battery life on the phone and tablet would be great, they wouldn't be searching for the signal all time. The myfi wouldn't have a screen to power, and would basically be all battery, so it would have all day power.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Where do you carry your keys?
    I was hoping the phone half wouldn't be a full webos experience device. Perhaps just bluetooth, relying on the slate for radio/cellular service. It would perhaps just have traidtional phone capabilities with caller ID and notifications for email, text, etc. this would keep it small, pocketable, and battery life. Any real smartphone capabilities would have to be done on the slate.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But you have commented to a few of us is that we aren't think beyond enough and are too limited in our thinking. So thinking of two bog-standard devices that don't connect *is* thinking beyond now?

In your view of course.
    Actually, I don't think I "commented ... that you aren't think beyond enough and are too limited in your thinking"; though I made some implications where one could infer that. My statements had to do with those immediately writing something off because it hasn't been done, or trying to insist that something fits within a simple, established formula.

However, I've never said that only the ideas presented here, whether they were presented by me or someone else, were the exclusive possibilities of "think beyond", and that seemed to be your assertion when you said this:
    IDK, the small form factor will work for some, but I think the majority will go with a larger screen option.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Size and form factor!

Sent from my eVo
    ver you size queen
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    If they actually do my idea of actually putting the phone in the tablet, which others here share, then they should call the device the HP Twin, and market the devices as one device.
    Wasn't one of the trademarks Palm patented "DuoPad"?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast