1.    #1  
    If you read my really long post here you see I believe HP is considering a large screen device. I wasn't very clear on what I think that is. I believe HP is considering -- although has not actually drawn any real plans -- making TV's. I don't think large screen devices simply meant a set to box, because that is not a screen. It is a box. However, Google TV is in or will be in TV's -- and so can WebOS. This could bring apps to TV, of course, but thats not new.

So what could they do that is new and worth our money? Imagine away!
    Touchscreen PC's are something I'd like to see. HP has been out ahead of the market in touchscreen Windows PCs.

Car dashboards. Something like Microsoft Surface. Maybe those huge screens the weathermen use now that look like something out of the movie Minority Report.

I could even go for a touchscreen on my netbook.
    an instant on touchscreen pc with windows underneath a webos UI (similar to how it is over linux and a replacement to touchsmart ui currently used) this way, people use webos, but with more functionality. Or dual booting or something. Computing needs to advance. Hardware has significantly.. Computing hasn't. Touch screens are definitely a rigt step, but no major OS is really designed for them.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    an instant on touchscreen pc with windows underneath a webos UI (similar to how it is over linux and a replacement to touchsmart ui currently used) this way, people use webos, but with more functionality. Or dual booting or something. Computing needs to advance. Hardware has significantly.. Computing hasn't. Touch screens are definitely a rigt step, but no major OS is really designed for them.
    I believe if WebOS Tablet ans netbooks sell well, HP will make a laptop with WebOS Desktop. Basically, the same apps as you get with the netbooks and slates, but the a full feature laptop with the power that brings. I believe the netbooks will have touch features apart of it's keyboard, and so will the laptops with WebOS. If that is popular, you might see desktops with similar innovations. That COULD be what he meant.
    I agree with the webOS desktop PC idea. Thats more likely being that HP is a computer company. And if they really want to create their own line of products that communicate with one and other seamlessly, this would be the next thing to come out with.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I agree with the webOS desktop PC idea. Thats more likely being that HP is a computer company. And if they really want to create their own line of products that communicate with one and other seamlessly, this would be the next thing to come out with.
    Thats kinda my stance to. HP really needs to control their future, and depending on Windows isn't going to cut it. With every device being connected, they can't make WebOS connect with Windows and if they do, then it will be connected with EVERY Windows PC out there. Isn't such a bad thing but it means consumers will not be dependent on your products alone.

But I think they need to focus for now on mobile devices like netbooks, tablets and smart phones. Doing that will build an ecosystem and apps that can later be expanded to "large screen devices".
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Thats kinda my stance to. HP really needs to control their future, and depending on Windows isn't going to cut it. With every device being connected, they can't make WebOS connect with Windows and if they do, then it will be connected with EVERY Windows PC out there. Isn't such a bad thing but it means consumers will not be dependent on your products alone.

But I think they need to focus for now on mobile devices like netbooks, tablets and smart phones. Doing that will build an ecosystem and apps that can later be expanded to "large screen devices".
    That was kind of my view on what Todd Bradley was talking about in the article P|C just had. It seemed like HP wasn't concerned with what everyone else was doing at CES. They had their own plan and to me, I see them releasing a wave of devices that interact with each other. Has there been anything that truly did this? If they can pull it off, they can have something going for them and it will put Palm back on the map. I always have and still have faith in HP/palm
    Televisions. They've already dabbled in it. Now power your TV with webOS and let it connect to your network via WiFi. As I mentioned in another thread, if you have your PC's documents and media set to share over the cloud, via an HP app, you could sign in to your profile to show these files on your TV, as well as your phone, tablet, and/or netbook.
    I agree TVs are one product HP may be putting webOS on. Our new LG TV has NetCast, which is similar to DirecTV Apps, which is similar to all the other tv software options. NetCast and DirecTV apps are mostly duplicates, so not a big deal to me. However, get webOS on TV to access apps not limited to TV specialized software, and does NOT require a ridiculous usb wifi adapter (NetCast: $60).
    My biggest hope for webOS on TVs is Remote Control apps on a touchscreen remote, as well as my phones and tablets. This would really bring PC usage to the TV & entertainment center without all the "fun" set up and/or synching required now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Televisions. They've already dabbled in it. Now power your TV with webOS and let it connect to your network via WiFi. As I mentioned in another thread, if you have your PC's documents and media set to share over the cloud, via an HP app, you could sign in to your profile to show these files on your TV, as well as your phone, tablet, and/or netbook.
    I don't think you get it. The average consumer isn't going to want to set this up. It's all greek to them.

If they can't turn it on, sign in, and point a remote at it and have it work, then its a waste of time. Set certain folders to "share" on your PC with this amazing HP app? Are you kidding? You have to understand that most folks can't fill out a 1040ez form.

In another thread you imagined a Palm phone coming with a disc to install on a computer. That's outdated thinking.

Besides, how's this going to compete with Apple? They hook up a small Apple TV, sign in their apple id, and boom, they got their itunes library. With airplay, even a 4yr old can use their ipod to play media off the phone and onto the tv.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Besides, how's this going to compete with Apple? They hook up a small Apple TV, sign in their apple id, and boom, they got their itunes library. With airplay, even a 4yr old can use their ipod to play media off the phone and onto the tv.
    Nobody can compete with Apple, of course. They can't do exactly the same with their own services. It's absolutely impossible.

Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Nobody can compete with Apple, of course. They can't do exactly the same with their own services. It's absolutely impossible.

Nobody? We're talking HP. HP doesn't really have much of a presence in the mobile game much less compete with anyone. But sure, lets jump to secondary devices HP could compete in when they've got nothing else established.

Not only that, let's think of inherently flawed ways they could do this while we're fantasizing.

How about a back to basics approach? Let's see some devices like a tablet or slab first along with a more polished OS before wondering how HP is going to rule TV's?
    Nobody? We're talking HP. HP doesn't really have much of a presence in the mobile game much less compete with anyone. But sure, lets jump to secondary devices HP could compete in when they've got nothing else established.

Not only that, let's think of inherently flawed ways they could do this while we're fantasizing.

How about a back to basics approach? Let's see some devices like a tablet or slab first along with a more polished OS before wondering how HP is going to rule TV's?
    Who cares about HP's past or present presence in the mobile market?

Do you really think that devices interconectivity is the wheel invention? Streaming technology is old news, and what Apple shows as revolutionary is just a mix between technologies like Neato! (message pushing) and the classic streaming. That's all. How hard is that to implement?

The device app A (let's say an iPhone) sends a message to the device B (let's say the Apple TV) telling it to stream the movie C and start it on minute D.

Device D recives the message and plays it. That's all. From here, imagine all the options to send messages between devices, and you get a complete multi-device streaming environment.

What about if HP does it, but expands it to do it with every content usable with each device?

This isn't related to innovation, it's related to harware and network technologies that allow new usages for older technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Sounds like a lot of software development for a company that is not really known for its software. As for Palm's contribution, what have they made besides a smartphone OS? People are really letting their imaginations run wild around here.

Hardware companies like HP, Dell, Sony, etc. seem to think they can build the hardware first and the software will kind of take care of itself. Apple, Google, and Microsoft are software companies first. Microsoft sometimes comes up with decent hardware. Apple seems to be particularly good at consumer hardware, now, too, but you can always bank on the software working right.
    Well, there must be a reason to spend billions in software companies last year after Palm's purchase, isn't it?

What's the difference (besides size) between Apple and Palm? And what's a smartphone OS? software: the HP's Achilles heel. Palm has managed to run a complete linux system in a small 500 MHz smartphone with (let's forget for a moment startup time) success, and integrate natively into it like no one else the technologies that will drive the future of computing. To me, that's a very good software company.

Maybe it's all wishful thinking, and probably we'll only see next 9th just a little bit of all the speculations (a lot of them doable, other not so clear), but webOS is the perfect foundation to reach all of these goals, on every platform imaginable.

I don't think you get it. The average consumer isn't going to want to set this up. It's all greek to them.

If they can't turn it on, sign in, and point a remote at it and have it work, then its a waste of time. Set certain folders to "share" on your PC with this amazing HP app? Are you kidding? You have to understand that most folks can't fill out a 1040ez form.

In another thread you imagined a Palm phone coming with a disc to install on a computer. That's outdated thinking.

Wow. I think it is you who doesn't get it. If someone is using a Windows 7 PC, and their documents and media are stored in the default folders, then all you need is to have an install disk, or USB flash drive, that comes with the phone or tablet. You install the app, as any ***** that can run an app on a PC can do, and the app simply searches for the folders with content and asks if you want to share ("wow, there's my music and videos...the app found them...whoa!"). Then have a button to click if you want to *GASP* be able to explore to other folders with content you want accessible to the cloud. This interface can be so simple my 5 year old son could do it. Then, it simply asks for your Palm profile name and password. Tada! Magically...you are on the effin cloud! Wow that was SO HARD!

What if HP was selling a small media streaming device that could hook up to your Palm profile, like Apple TV signing into iTunes, and get not only YOUR media files, not just what Apple is storing for you and saying you have "rights" to, but also any home made videos, and any documents, should you wish to see them on the big screen. But this stuff would also be available to you no matter where you go, on your phone, palmPad, netbook, or laptop. All by simply installing a simple app, pointing to your files (if you don't know where your files are, then you shouldn't be allowed near any computing device), and signing into your profile.