1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how to SMS from a US-based phone (specifically, Cingular Wireless in California) to a phone based in Italy?

So far my friend there has been able to SMS me, but regardless of number combinations (with or with out country code, etc.) I can't SMS them.

Related questions:
    1.) Does Cingular complately block outbound, international SMS messages?

2.) Is there some sort of "cheat code" or legit pre-fix from another carrier I can pre-prend to their number to work around this?

THANKS!
    Do you have international calling enabled on your account?

I have Cingular here in California, and had to request that feature. I can now make international calls and send international SMS messages.
    Last edited by fixitgal; 09/20/2002 at 08:21 PM.
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
  3.    #3  
    I just got off the phone with Cingular to enable this -- they said it should be active in 24 hours or less. If it works I'll let everyone know.

Thanks for the suggestion Fix It Girl!
  4.    #4  
    I've enabled international calling, then tried SMS -- no luck.

Strangely, when I try to add the 011 country code prefix I get an error message. When I omit the code, the SMS goes out into the ether but is not received by my friend. Any thoughts?
    I checked the last international SMS that I received and the number has a plus (+) then the country code, then the number. Try using the + instead of using 011.
    Queen of Parts
    Did you ever get your international SMS to work?

Just curious...
    Queen of Parts
    Joe3 - I have VoiceStream without Int'l calling but I can still SMS internationally. My college friend is in Bologna for school and I SMS him all the time...NOTE: he needed to change GSM vendors. Keep in mind this is Italy - like their cars, phone service reliability is spotty

I just sent my friend an SMS re: what the good/bad SIM card providers were.
  8.    #8  
    Hi Fixitgal and gkaatz!

1st: Sorry for the inter-post delay Fixitgal - my friend was actually here in the USA for a week, making a test impossible.

Now that their back there: I'm afraid we still can't get SMS's working in the US to IT direction -- many tries but no luck. I did try your "+" recommendation to no avail.

gkaatz: I'm eager to hear your data!

Many thanks to both of you!!!
    I was hoping that it would work. It may be the SIM as gkaatz suggested.

Let us know if you fix the problem...
    Queen of Parts
    Folks, my friend just sent me the info...

==========
    Old service was OmniTel, which is owned.operated by Vodafone (they are the largest wireless provider on earth - not the best, but the largest);

New service is TIM, operated by Telecom Italia.

==========

Using the TIM service, I can send/receive SMS to/from Italy. It should be noted that we deduced that the problem was service when friends in other parts of Europe had trouble sending SMS to Italy.
  11.    #11  
    As it turns out, my friend is a "Wind" subscriber. Has anyone had USA to IT SMS success with them to your knowledge?