Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    On German Palm-related sites like webos-blog.de Gerüchteküche: neue Geräte am 1. März, Updates direkt von HP uvm. | webOS Blog you can read the following:

- Feb 9 is a WORLDWIDE announcement. So you US citizens who are worried about the Verizon iPhone release are just gonna have to live with the fact that the world is bigger than the US and HP will not give US any special treatment

- Two versions of webOS will be available 2.x for smartphones. 3.x for tablets. I'm not too happy with this though. Fragmentation, Android-like (Ice Cream 2.4 versus Honeycumb 3.0). Every 6 months the OS will get a major update.

- The first set of announced devices will be available from March 1st. With possibly an LTE smartphone for the US

If this all is true, Feb 9th can not be upon us soon enough...
    If Rumour == TRUE then
    {
    Customised UI for tablet = Great // I think the PalmPad should be able to have 2 cards side by side in landscape view. - That would be proper multitaskking. Hopefully it will use super fast Enyo.

HP taking control of software updates = Excellent news. //I suspect the carriers will fight this tooth and nail. Microsoft is already discovering this.

Devices available from the 1st March = That's the way to launch a product
    }
    for some reason, having different OS versions on the phone and the tablet doesn't seem like much of a fragmentation issue too me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    for some reason, having different OS versions on the phone and the tablet doesn't seem like much of a fragmentation issue too me...
    Agreed. Having an identical OS on such a large device is a waste. Hello iPad/Galaxy Tab.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    On German Palm-related sites like webos-blog.de Gerüchteküche: neue Geräte am 1. März, Updates direkt von HP uvm. | webOS Blog you can read the following:

- Feb 9 is a WORLDWIDE announcement. So you US citizens who are worried about the Verizon iPhone release are just gonna have to live with the fact that the world is bigger than the US and HP will not give US any special treatment

- Two versions of webOS will be available 2.x for smartphones. 3.x for tablets. I'm not too happy with this though. Fragmentation, Android-like (Ice Cream 2.4 versus Honeycumb 3.0). Every 6 months the OS will get a major update.

- The first set of announced devices will be available from March 1st. With possibly an LTE smartphone for the US

I said this in the announcement thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if all of this happened. I think that the Feb 9 announcement will focus on not just hardware, but what HP will do to grow the brand.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I also agree - a Phone and a tablet while similar are incredibly different form factors. My main hope is that developers apps will run seamlessly on both.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I said this in the announcement thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if all of this happened. I think that the Feb 9 announcement will focus on not just hardware, but what HP will do to grow the brand.
    I assumed it would have been in there somewhere, but didn't want to go through the whole thread. If the moderators feel like joining/deleting this thread that's fine.

I also agree - a Phone and a tablet while similar are incredibly different form factors. My main hope is that developers apps will run seamlessly on both.
    That's exactly my fear. I don't think that a single app will work on both versions of the OS and adapt to the specific characteristics "automagically" HP needs a lot of new developers. When introducing "two" platforms to develop for, developers will even be more hesitant...
    I assumed it would have been in there somewhere, but didn't want to go through the whole thread. If the moderators feel like joining/deleting this thread that's fine.

That's exactly my fear. I don't think that a single app will work on both versions of the OS and adapt to the specific characteristics "automagically" HP needs a lot of new developers. When introducing "two" platforms to develop for, developers will even be more hesitant...
    Mojo apps will not work on webOS 3.x, as it includes Enyo, and not Mojo. But Enyo will become the framework for phones too, so all the Tablet apps wil become phone compatible automatically. And yes, Enyo will allow to do that for every app.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Mojo apps will not work on webOS 3.x, as it includes Enyo, and not Mojo.
    Is that speculation or is there a source for that? Palm has definativly said that Enyo and mojo will both be supported in future releases. Were they just talking about phones?

so all the Tablet apps wil become phone compatible automatically. And yes, Enyo will allow to do that for every app.
    Enyo provides the tools to enable apps to scale from phone to tablet. It's still up to the devs to implement this as they see fit. I doubt it will be automatic. Just as they currently do to support the Pixi with Mojo.
    Are they saying that HP is skipping Sprint initially and doing Verizon LTE instead?

Verizon just announced a dozen new Android phones and the Android flagship tablet, the Zoom. And they might be a little focused on that new Apple thingy.

AT&T just announced 10 Android phones plus a tablet.

T-Mobile just announced a half dozen Android phones plus a tablet.

Do you think that the Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile reps might be a little pre-occupied with other phones right now?

Sprint announced one new Android phone and no new tablets.

Hmm, so where would you release in the US?
    sprint is getting the playbook, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Are they saying that HP is skipping Sprint initially and doing Verizon LTE instead?

Verizon just announced a dozen new Android phones and the Android flagship tablet, the Zoom. And they might be a little focused on that new Apple thingy.

Do you think that the Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile reps might be a little pre-occupied with other phones right now?

For some reason Sprint didnt come to the plate for the Pre Plus or the Pre 2. I dont know if it was Sprints doing or Palm and HP has backed away from Sprint. The last I heard was that Sprint management was evaluating their relationship with Palm and that was a couple months ago and still no announcements from Sprint. It may be too late for HP to get Sprints attention.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I think Sprint's & HP/Palm relationship is still solid. It's probably the keeping everything hush hush until next month that makes it looks that way. I feel HP & Sprint will have an awesome showing come Feb 9th. I hope.
    Mojo apps will not work on webOS 3.x, as it includes Enyo, and not Mojo. But Enyo will become the framework for phones too, so all the Tablet apps wil become phone compatible automatically. And yes, Enyo will allow to do that for every app.
    I don't think this is true. Palm has stated that both enyo and mojo wil be supported until the transition is complete. I'm sure they are aware that interconnectivity is required inorder for this to be successful.

My guess is that devs who want their app to work well on both will have to use enyo, but those who alreadyhave mojo apps will see their apps working on the tablet for some time...

I wonder if the guy who went to Google gave this idea to them, and originally this is what HP wanted. I also don't think this is fragmentation.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

Sprint announced they are getting the Playbook. Beyond that, you are correct.
    Sprint not only should be getting the very next hardware from HP/Palm, but I think at this point they should implement some kind of extra bonus incentive for those that have stuck with the Pre since launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Is that speculation or is there a source for that? Palm has definativly said that Enyo and mojo will both be supported in future releases. Were they just talking about phones?
    Palm said that Enyo will replace Mojo. Obviously, a transition time is necessary. Being that, I speculate webOS 3.x comes with Enyo as exclusive framework, and Mojo continues providing compatibility with current apps in webOS 2.x, as Mojo probably don't work with other resolutions.

Enyo provides the tools to enable apps to scale from phone to tablet. It's still up to the devs to implement this as they see fit. I doubt it will be automatic. Just as they currently do to support the Pixi with Mojo.
    The video of the last Devs conference shows that following a simple design guidelines, Enyo does all the work for the devs.
    Newness Developments apps:

You are correct, Enyo will be the new framework which will still support for mojo development.

as for those speaking of fragmentation between webOS 2.x and webOS 3.0, the reason i see this happening would be 3.0 will be the new framework(Enyo) for tablets(and most likely newer devices), which i believe have been stated earlier, and 2.x will be for current devices.

I do wonder about future updates for phones like the Pre and Pixi(Sprint) that are under power(stock ofcourse) not being able to handle Enyo, (which i think is part of the delay for webOS 2.x) and if HP decides those phones cant handle the new software, i still wont see that as a fragmentation issue(more like device limitation or incompatible hardware) or would it be?

With androids fragmentation seems that all the current phones can handle the updates(some may not have the hardware for certain things, but can still get software enhancements, tweaks and bug fixes) but they just arent getting them across the board, unless you get a new device all together(atleast from my understanding anyways)
    maybe everyone needs a refresher on what's coming... this video was posted from the webOS developer day... skip to the 15:00 mark and take a look at what the features of enyo is: Flexible Applications with DIFFERENT LAYOUTS & SIZES is the first item on that list. There's also a demo of how that works as well. Assuming that the execution is a good one, I would say that we are in for a pretty intelligent framework that makes creating an app that will work on multiple screen sizes, with different layout, a painless one.

enjoy
    If Sprint doesn't get a new WebOs device I am bailing.... where's my Startac....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast