Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    skip to the 15:00 mark and take a look at what the features of enyo is: Flexible Applications with DIFFERENT LAYOUTS & SIZES is the first item on that list. There's also a demo of how that works as well. Assuming that the execution is a good one, I would say that we are in for a pretty intelligent framework that makes creating an app that will work on multiple screen sizes, with different layout, a painless one.
    That is EXACTLY my point. So WHY would we need 2 version of the OS? If we have a scalable framework on top of the OS, it takes care of the different formfactors, not the underlying OS...

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    If Sprint doesn't get a new WebOs device I am bailing.... where's my Startac....
    Can the Sprint-frustration guys please stay out of the topics that have nothing to do with operators carrying the webOS devices... Puhlease... if you REALLY want a webOS device you change carrier, simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Can the Sprint-frustration guys please stay out of the topics that have nothing to do with operators carrying the webOS devices... Puhlease... if you REALLY want a webOS device you change carrier, simple as that.
    I am sorry for not posting my sarcastic pants....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CXQt_cb6qf...00/ATisket.jpg

You might have guessed that by stating that the US will not receive any special treatment and then mentioning Verizon (which is a carrier) discussion on Sprint might also be implied.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    If Sprint doesn't get a new WebOs device I am bailing.... where's my Startac....
    I would tell sprint this...
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    OK I overread the sarcasm indeed. I assume you agree then that we've had our share of Sprint-frustration guys on this forum by now
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Multi-screen smartphone? Eurm, and you're trying to explain why 2 versions of the OS are still required? 2.x for smartphones and 3.x for tablets. I'm pretty sure they will not build multi-screen support in the 2.x tree....

I don't really see why (future versions of) Enyo wouldn't be able to arrange the different "panes" either on 1 big screen or over multiple smaller screens.
    Amen to that, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I would tell sprint this...
    already did, does not seem to phase them
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    That is EXACTLY my point. So WHY would we need 2 version of the OS? If we have a scalable framework on top of the OS, it takes care of the different formfactors, not the underlying OS...

VERIZON sucks don’t get me started on T-Mobile and their decision to slash bandwidth down to about half a Gb a month as stated on theinquirer.net, A-TT overcharge & have crappiest customer service. What other U.S. service provider would you suggest, in regards to sprint-frustration. But i think everyone has a right to express what the feel like, so let’s all play nice.
    Actually I can see the reasons why having a tablet-variant of webOS would be useful. That apps are able to reconfigure themselves for different screen sizes is great, but that's only half of the issue. The other issue that hasn't really been addressed for a multitasking environment is the user experience interaction.

Before everyone chime in and say that Apple is able to do it w/o having two different OS so why can't HPalm and Google do the same... let me say this: iOS's primary user interaction is a very simple one. That's why. iOS multitasking is like being at a library where you are allowed to have only ONE book in your hand to look at. if you want to look at another book, you have to give that book to a librarian who will put it in a box behind the desk, where you can't look at unless you give the librarian the one you're holding in your hand. Because of that, all that they really need to worry about is the designing of the individual books (which is really a metaphor for Apps if you haven't already figured it out by now) and making that experience the best one. Apple as a company is very focused on this lust-object approach and so it makes sense that iOS diverts attention to the INDIVIDUAL apps rather than a rich multitasking user experience.

WebOS and Android, on the other hand, doesn't take the restrictive multitasking approach that Apple does. To continue the metaphor, webOS allows you hold in your hands multiple books at the same time; to jump from one book to another; to put two books side-by-side for comparison, etc.

Now, the different between such an experience on a phone vs. a tablet:

The phone/smallscreen-variant of webOS is akin to only having a tiny desk to work with. You can have a bunch of books opened and multitask that way, but you can't really be as efficient or powerful as you could be.

The tablet/largescreen-variant of webOS is akin to having a huge desk to work with. With the extra space, you can do things like organizing your books in a way that they're all easily visible and accessible. You can do more side-by-side comparisons... maybe even logically link the books/apps in a region of the desk/screen. You can stand back and get a bird's eye view of everything and rearrange them. You can start to build up your own system of organization that makes sense to you.

Anyway, the point is that you have a lot more options, regardless of whether the books/apps are the same or different. Take the email demo, for example. I may want to have the mail app in its small-form-factor display on my tablet, while you may want to have it in the large-form-factor (3-column) display on your tablet.

This is where the tablet variant of webOS comes in. My educated guess is that it is not really a different OS, but really a different way of interacting with the OS. It would be a missed-opportunity to not take advantage of the opportunity to provide a more appropriate and more satisfying user experience, just to have one OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmanov View Post
    donít get me started on T-Mobile and their decision to slash bandwidth down to about half a Gb a month as stated on theinquirer.net,
    Unless you live in the UK, you have nothing to worry about. It's the UK division that's doing that, not the US division.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    for some reason, having different OS versions on the phone and the tablet doesn't seem like much of a fragmentation issue too me...
    If they use the same Enyo framework on both OS versions, then at least for javascript developers it won't be a pain. I hope they come up with a solution to make things easy for PDK developers as well.
    Actually I can see the reasons why having a tablet-variant of webOS would be useful. That apps are able to reconfigure themselves for different screen sizes is great, but that's only half of the issue. The other issue that hasn't really been addressed for a multitasking environment is the user experience interaction.

Before everyone chime in and say that Apple is able to do it w/o having two different OS so why can't HPalm and Google do the same... let me say this: iOS's primary user interaction is a very simple one. That's why. iOS multitasking is like being at a library where you are allowed to have only ONE book in your hand to look at. if you want to look at another book, you have to give that book to a librarian who will put it in a box behind the desk, where you can't look at unless you give the librarian the one you're holding in your hand. Because of that, all that they really need to worry about is the designing of the individual books (which is really a metaphor for Apps if you haven't already figured it out by now) and making that experience the best one. Apple as a company is very focused on this lust-object approach and so it makes sense that iOS diverts attention to the INDIVIDUAL apps rather than a rich multitasking user experience.

WebOS and Android, on the other hand, doesn't take the restrictive multitasking approach that Apple does. To continue the metaphor, webOS allows you hold in your hands multiple books at the same time; to jump from one book to another; to put two books side-by-side for comparison, etc.

Now, the different between such an experience on a phone vs. a tablet:

The phone/smallscreen-variant of webOS is akin to only having a tiny desk to work with. You can have a bunch of books opened and multitask that way, but you can't really be as efficient or powerful as you could be.

The tablet/largescreen-variant of webOS is akin to having a huge desk to work with. With the extra space, you can do things like organizing your books in a way that they're all easily visible and accessible. You can do more side-by-side comparisons... maybe even logically link the books/apps in a region of the desk/screen. You can stand back and get a bird's eye view of everything and rearrange them. You can start to build up your own system of organization that makes sense to you.

Anyway, the point is that you have a lot more options, regardless of whether the books/apps are the same or different. Take the email demo, for example. I may want to have the mail app in its small-form-factor display on my tablet, while you may want to have it in the large-form-factor (3-column) display on your tablet.

This is where the tablet variant of webOS comes in. My educated guess is that it is not really a different OS, but really a different way of interacting with the OS. It would be a missed-opportunity to not take advantage of the opportunity to provide a more appropriate and more satisfying user experience, just to have one OS.
    Brilliant analogies and analysis about the user experience. You remind me of a marketing analyst or useability expert. I am a former developer, turned tech writer/useability analyst, and appreciate these types of comments. HP's upcoming event should provide a glimpse into their dynamic "Enyo" platform with multiple form factors to choose from.
    It certainly would make life easier on PDK developers if the underlying OS is the same. If the rumor is true and they are naming in webOS 2.0 and webOS 3.0, it might just be a marketing gimmick for two different UI's using the same webOS as the basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Are they saying that HP is skipping Sprint initially and doing Verizon LTE instead?

Verizon just announced a dozen new Android phones and the Android flagship tablet, the Zoom. And they might be a little focused on that new Apple thingy.

AT&T just announced 10 Android phones plus a tablet.

T-Mobile just announced a half dozen Android phones plus a tablet.

Do you think that the Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile reps might be a little pre-occupied with other phones right now?

Sprint announced one new Android phone and no new tablets.

Hmm, so where would you release in the US?

I have been speculation on this for a while, i hope i am wrong. I don't think sprint passed on the pre2 because they wanted something better, I have a bad feeling that sprint and Palm/ HP have have a very bad or near non-existent relationship.

similarily I believe that sprint has a similarily bad relationship with motorola, They are the only carrier of the big 4 to not offer any motorola android phone, or even a non-iden motorola phone for that matter. And they where the only carrier to have not have a motorola phone introduced in CES 2011
    thx i do UX/UE/UI work for a living, and it pains me to see the potentials of webOS get wasted with botched launches, subpar hardware, and most of all, a lack of attention-to-details of many webOS apps.

at the risk of offending a lot of people, i've got to say that there's a lot of just really poorly executed webOS apps that are really not to the level of polish that they need to be. as much as people love to bash apple, and i realize that there's a lot of anti-apple people in these forums, credit needs to be given where it's due. apple does a really good job of ensuring the apps are polished and don't feel half-done like so many webOS apps do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    I have been speculation on this for a while, i hope i am wrong. I don't think sprint passed on the pre2 because they wanted something better, I have a bad feeling that sprint and Palm/ HP have have a very bad or near non-existent relationship.

similarily I believe that sprint has a similarily bad relationship with motorola, They are the only carrier of the big 4 to not offer any motorola android phone, or even a non-iden motorola phone for that matter. And they where the only carrier to have not have a motorola phone introduced in CES 2011
    For a carrier that only announced one new phone, it's ridiculous for Sprint to have a bad relationship with any manufacturer. They are not that big that they can dictate terms with anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    For a carrier that only announced one new phone, it's ridiculous for Sprint to have a bad relationship with any manufacturer. They are not that big that they can dictate terms with anyone.
    They carry plenty of Motorola IDEN stuff, but there's not a lot of room on Sprint for their CDMA Android offerings. Samsung litters Sprint with regularly refreshed low-to-midrange handsets like the Transform, Intercept, and Moment. So something like the Devour or Cliq 2 would just be another pointless choice in that demographic where LG, Samsung, and Kyocera already are giving Sprint handsets in that space. Likewise, why release an Atrix or Bionic there when Verizon or AT&T will push your stuff to thew moon - even with iPhone as part of their lineup - and Sprint would rather focus on the Evo brand?

Motorola aside, Sprint has decent relationships with almost every other manufacturer. And I'll take their lineup over T-Mobile anyday. Have fun with their new flagship Dell 7-inch tablet running Froyo. Woo hoo.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Interesting how Sprint have their own big event on the 7th, suggesting they either don't know or don't care what HP is doing on the 9th.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    The Sprint event will definitely cover the new Evo, the new Windows phone, and more WiMax rollouts, possibly mention that they will carry a new webos device with more info available at HP's event 2 days later, and tiny chance of something like an iphone 4 announcement.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    The Sprint event will definitely cover the new Evo, the new Windows phone, and more WiMax rollouts, possibly mention that they will carry a new webos device with more info available at HP's event 2 days later, and tiny chance of something like an iphone 4 announcement.
    I cannot see that happening in any way, shape or form, it makes absolutely no sense given the two day gap between the events.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast