Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    looks as those speculation of course with the iphone going to Verizon, that sprint would join in on the fun. It does seem feesable, though one anyalist thinks it unlikely. He even thinks most likely a Webos device instead:

LAS VEGAS — Verizon Wireless is expected to get the iPhone early this year, but what about Sprint Nextel, the nation’s third-largest carrier?

On its face, the idea seems unlikely, although rumors swirled this week at the International Consumer Electronics Show that such a circumstance could happen at a Sprint announcement set for February.

However, it seems more plausible that Sprint’s February announcement could involve WebOS devices from Hewlett-Packard, one respected analyst said. HP last year purchased Palm , the maker of the WebOS platform , and has yet to launch a device on the platform.

Analyst Jack Gold of J. Gold Associates summarized the feelings of several analysts attending CES by saying, “I’d be quite surprised to see a WiMax/Sprint iPhone .” Gold added that it is more important for Apple to place the iPhone with Verizon than Sprint, and for Apple to eventually produce an LTE-based iPhone.

Gold said he was “not sure what Sprint will announce in February exactly,” but noted that HP is also planning a major announcement in early February. “So maybe Sprint will carry WebOS devices,” he said.

What makes the iPhone on Sprint rumor unlikely is that Sprint is devoted to WiMax and is selling three WiMax-ready smartphones , including the HTC Evo Shift 4G announced Thursday, bringing the total number of WiMax devices on the market to 17.

The coming Research in Motion PlayBook tablet will also run on WiMax when it appears on Sprint this summer.

Clearly, Sprint is solidly committed to WiMax, which is rolled out in 71 U.S. cities. Sprint first launched the technology in Baltimore in October 2008.

It also seems unlikely Apple would want to make an iPhone for WiMax, especially with the smaller market share that WiMax will have globally compared to the next-generation wireless technology, LTE, which Verizon began rolling out in December .

Today, the iPhone is sold exclusively by ATT in the U.S. The smartphone runs on ATT’s GSM-based network, not the CDMA-based networks that Sprint and Verizon use while they upgrade to WiMax and LTE, respectively. ATT’s exclusive contract as the sole wireless carrier for the iPhone is widely expected to expire, possibly before March.

Even though it seems unlikely, speculation mounted by analysts and others at CES this week that Sprint could sell an iPhone. Coupled with a rumor of a big Sprint device announcement coming in New York City in February, the reports of an iPhone on Sprint seemed tantalizing, if improbable, to some analysts and reporters.

In an interview with reporters from Computerworld and Gizmodo on Thursday, Sprint’s David Owens, vice president of consumer acquisition, was asked if Sprint would ever sell an iPhone. He didn’t say yes or no.

“I have nothing to say about that,” Owens said. “My [public relations] folks won’t let me talk about that.” Owens gestured to two spokeswomen sitting nearby him as he answered.

Owens conceded that there will be a special new device coming from Sprint, but Sprint wouldn’t officially confirm the New York event.

Given the Sprint-iPhone rumor, it is probably appropriate that a magician introduced Sprint CEO Dan Hesse at a Thursday dinner party that Sprint hosted for reporters and analysts at the Wynn Resort’s Tryst nightclub.

As the nation’s third-largest wireless carrier, Sprint is always on the prowl to take on its two larger rivals, ATT and Verizon Wireless. Hesse didn’t offer any comments on the iPhone but he touted Sprint’s growing number of WiMax devices and his assistants showed several other products, including wireless gear for monitoring a person’s fitness or a company’s truck fleet.

Hesse also drew attention to a Windows Phone 7 slider smartphone under development at Sprint that was passed around to dinner guests, but hasn’t been officially named or announced.

Owens said the wide variety of devices that Sprint sells are helping to boost Sprint’s subscriber base and have helped raise the confidence within the ranks at Sprint. “We feel we have a lot

Iphone | An IPhone For Sprint? Unlikely, But Maybe A WebOS Device From HP | My iPhone Jailbreak
    longest. post. ever.
    Yeah, maybe just quote a little and provide a link?

Anyway, to the subject of the thread: NEITHER. The iPhone, as is, is insufficient for my smartphone desires and the WebOS device is a hypothetical. If all it took for me to get a new device was WebOS being on it, I'd blow $500, switch to AT&T, and use an unlocked Pre 2.
    The iPhone would not meet my daily needs either at this point. A new webos device would be great if it fits in exactly with what I want. If not, it will probably be an android phone I go for. With Duarte at Google, they might be able to compete in UI soon.

More on topic...I find it unlikely that Apple would put the iPhone on Sprint, but it is possible. As far as I know, the cdma radio in the new iphone should be compatible with sprint's network. No extra work would really be involved. Correct me if I'm wrong...
    Just curious to hear why the iphone wouldn't meet your daily needs..
    Only getting a new WebOS devise dont care about carrier. i like Sprint and would prefer Sprint but not waiting for them. my original Pre- has seen its better days and i need a new one. everytime i go into a carriers store all they keep pushing is ANDROID.

WebOS is for me. it isnt for everyone nor is the iPhone
    I got by first few lines ,lol kidding,good read

Evo-lution
    I was considering making a post about this when I saw and read this thread. Since it's mentioned here, I'll post about it here. If a MOD wants to make this into a post all by itself -- go ahead!

Anyway, What WOULD happen if Sprint and HP announced a partnership together and that Sprint is the exclusive launch partner for WebOS devices? Do you think that would be a repeat of 2009? But, then again, I don't think Sprint was the problem with the Pre. It didn't sell very well with Verizon or ATT and Sprint's EVO did very well. The media liked to blame Sprint, but they fail to acknowledge success stories like the EVO and Epic -- and probably EBO SHIFT 4G when it is launched as well.

And if you think about it, HP might not want to compete against the iPhone on the same network. I think the WebOS phones could go head to head, but maybe HP doesn't want to take that chance.

Anyway, I think it be best if they go the Galaxy S route and have multiple "exclusive" devices for each carrier but they are all part of the same series. What do you guys think?
    i think most people who wanted an iphone have one by now. there are enough good options on the market now that apple's dominance of the market is beginning to slide. the question i'm trying to figure out is if i will stick with palm on sprint, or go back to android... i guess i'll decide on feb 9th
    Quite simply, both.

At&t put their eggs into IOS. [until recently]
    Verizon put their eggs in Android.
    Sprint had their eggs in BlackBerry and Palm OS.

There's no reason to not expand to all platforms.
    That way your customer base is more broad spectrum, you don't exclude anyone.

If Sprint had two solid devices from each platform [Blackberry, Android, WebOS, WM7, and IOS] they would completely own any other carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Quite simply, both.

At&t put their eggs into IOS. [until recently]
    Verizon put their eggs in Android.
    Sprint had their eggs in BlackBerry and Palm OS.

There's no reason to not expand to all platforms.
    That way your customer base is more broad spectrum, you don't exclude anyone.

If Sprint had two solid devices from each platform [Blackberry, Android, WebOS, WM7, and IOS] they would completely own any other carrier.
    When did Sprint ever put their egg's in Blackberry? It wasn't until recently (like what, 2009?) that they started getting Blackberries when the brand would launch (when I say brand, I mean new BB brand like the Tour -- which was turned into the Bold later on). Mostly Sprint would get the left overs from another carrier. Plus, Sprint has been pushing Android devices like crazy. Especially since the EVO 4G.

NOTE: I do think it's awesome that BlackBerry Playbook is coming in the flavor of Sprint 4G. If HP doesn't wow me (and assuming the wireless data plan that Hesse talked about comes true) I'll be buying a Playbook this summer.

But I do agree that if Sprint could grab some awesome exclusives with each Mobile OS -- then Sprint would be in a good position. And with Blackberry warming up to Sprint (are other carriers getting their own Playbook?) it's possible we might get a WiMax BlackBerry phone too.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    When did Sprint ever put their egg's in Blackberry?
    I would say the period between the Pre release and getting a respectable Android device[Evo].

At any rate, Sprint seriously needs to do what I'm saying.

They can't compete with Verizon's hype.

Their service is second only to Verizon.

Their customer service is solid.

Prices are cheapest.

Phones [except for Evo, Epic, Evo Shift] are "eh"

A good base of all the platforms, even if the phones they get are released a few months earlier on Verizon, would put them in a great position where they can become a direct threat to Verizon and [using what they've learned from being on the bottom of the spectrum] stay good to the customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Just curious to hear why the iphone wouldn't meet your daily needs..
    Not configurable enough, even with jailbreaking. Not enough browser options. Hate being tied to a computer for syncing. Don't like iTunes for anything except MP3 playing. Don't want a screen significantly smaller than my Epic 4G. Aint paying $99 for MobileMe when Google gives the world for free. Love Google Nav. Like the option of a hard QWERTY if I want one.
    I would say the period between the Pre release and getting a respectable Android device[Evo].

At any rate, Sprint seriously needs to do what I'm saying.

They can't compete with Verizon's hype.

Their service is second only to Verizon.

Their customer service is solid.

Prices are cheapest.

Phones [except for Evo, Epic, Evo Shift] are "eh"

A good base of all the platforms, even if the phones they get are released a few months earlier on Verizon, would put them in a great position where they can become a direct threat to Verizon and [using what they've learned from being on the bottom of the spectrum] stay good to the customer.
    Well then, thats true. And I agree that Sprint needs that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not configurable enough, even with jailbreaking. Not enough browser options. Hate being tied to a computer for syncing. Don't like iTunes for anything except MP3 playing. Don't want a screen significantly smaller than my Epic 4G. Aint paying $99 for MobileMe when Google gives the world for free. Love Google Nav. Like the option of a hard QWERTY if I want one.
    This all, all, comes down to one thing when it comes to Apple.

Apple's way or the highway.

I'll never understand why people would like that philosophy.

I agree, but I know that some people don't mind because it works, and they don't have to spend time configuring different options. I'd rather configure all day, but that's what makes the world spin!

because owning a product with a fruit on the back is trendy
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    If you followed the live blogs of today's announcement, someone asked about the exclusivity of the CDMA iphone, and here was the response:

11:23AM Q: Is the CDMA iPhone exclusive to Verizon?

Tim: It's a multi-year, non exclusive deal.
    This was from Engadgets live blog: Live from Verizon's iPhone event -- Engadget

So according to that response, one can assume that the iPhone could potentially end up on Sprint.
    yea... and we prob aren't going to see a real device for another 3 to 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I have pretty much the same beliefs. I only want a physical keyboard. I've used both and I prefer a phone with one. iOS is also a major issue for me. I do not use very many apps, so how a phone works as a phone is most important to me. The only reason I even have a smart phone is for web browsing, email, and pandora. I'm also very OCD and have to have a clean home screen. In webos, I leave 0 cards open. When I had android, I had 0 icons/widgets. iOS is just a cluster of icons and I cannot handle that. lol
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast