Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Carrying you phone around clipped to your belt, we don't do it, it's taken as a sign you are a giant tool (same for using bluetooth in the street) or a geek*.

* note I am just explaining the cultural difference before anyone leaps down my throat.
    Outside of some geeky computer communities, It's considered odd to wear a phone clipped to your belt in the US, too. A lot of the people who post here probably work in some technical, computer-oriented field and would be considered geeky by the rest of the population.

Blue tooth headsets have caught on, though. It's not that odd to see a guy walking towards a train station talking to himself, and when you get close you suddenly realize he's actually talking on the phone.
    Why doesn't Palm just put a big banner on their website saying "Please switch to Android". That's what they're pushing us to anyway. If the big "mystery" announcement isn't spectacular, I'm F-n gone. Enough is enough already, webOS or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    Why doesn't Palm just put a big banner on their website saying "Please switch to Android". That's what they're pushing us to anyway. If the big "mystery" announcement isn't spectacular, I'm F-n gone. Enough is enough already, webOS or not.
    You'll see an entire ecosystem of diverse devices. I don't know if that's spectacular or it isn't...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

You are American right? It's interesting to me that there are two habits that Americans have that don't seem to have taken off here in the UK 1) Using bluetooth headsets outside of cars and 2) Belt-harnesses.
    Yes, but wearing the BT is not a habit, it's a conscious decison, at least for me. As a matter of fact, about 4% of the 5% that I don't wear one is because I forget. I know that walking around looking like you're talking to yourself looks pretty silly; but when you think about it, so does walking around with a hand held up to your ear and your elbow sticking out.

The "belt harness" thing is interesting. I had one of those as well, until I got my Pre (I had a long string of Treos before that). It's just the right size to fit in my pocket. I fear that because of the "mine must be bigger" crowd, I'm going to have shop around for a belt harness again.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Outside of some geeky computer communities, It's considered odd to wear a phone clipped to your belt in the US, too. A lot of the people who post here probably work in some technical, computer-oriented field and would be considered geeky by the rest of the population.

Blue tooth headsets have caught on, though. It's not that odd to see a guy walking towards a train station talking to himself, and when you get close you suddenly realize he's actually talking on the phone.
    Dang. Now I feel like a total geek. But, I do work in "some technical, computer-oriented field", and would probably "be considered geeky by the rest of the population."
    But, the pay is nice, and it beats flipping burgers.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I don't use either one but at least around me they're both fairly common. In my office almost everyone has a blackberry and almost everyone carries it on their belt. I think it's so they don't have to dig it out of their pocket if it goes off during a meeting. I don't know.

Bluetooth headsets make even more sense now with multi-tasking smartphones. My wife is constantly tavelling and while walking through an airport with one hand holding luggage, it's very convenient to be able to have a phone conversation and still be able to use her phone to pull up travel info rather than keep it held up to her ear.
    Yup, "belt harnesses" are for dweebs, not geeks.

I thought you were talking about car "belt harnesses", tho... that's why I was confused.

And I'd still prefer a wired stereo headset, so that I could
    a) save my money
    b) never need to replace/recharge batteries
    c) get quality stereo sound, on top of that!
    d) make it more revealing to others around me that I am, in fact, NOT speaking to them.
    e) hopefully not lose it as quickly as a BT piece.

There always happens to be some big guy (never the same one, tho) that walks up to me at the grocery, says something to me, I glance at him, he nods, I'm even more confused, and then he grabs his juice or eggs and walks away from me, so that I can finally see the piece in his ear.

I guess you could call me Old Skool... I'm pretty slow when it comes to adopting useless tech.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Dang. Now I feel like a total geek. But, I do work in "some technical, computer-oriented field", and would probably "be considered geeky by the rest of the population."
    But, the pay is nice, and it beats flipping burgers.
    Just for reference (and not meaning to make any judgements) but I work in an IT department of a large global organisation in the UK. Everyone on my floor (and most of the floors in the building) is a developer or support person and would be considered a geek. No-one wears their phone visibly, that trend died with the new millenium over here.

Any phone that does not fit comfortably in a trouser pocket is unlikely to do too well in this environment, the iPhone just about meets that criteria but anything bigger...
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Just for reference (and not meaning to make any judgements) but I work in an IT department of a large global organisation in the UK. Everyone on my floor (and most of the floors in the building) is a developer or support person and would be considered a geek. No-one wears their phone visibly, that trend died with the new millenium over here.

Any phone that does not fit comfortably in a trouser pocket is unlikely to do too well in this environment, the iPhone just about meets that criteria but anything bigger...
    I would not feel comfortable putting an iPhone in my pocket. I would break the screen. I barely feel comfortable putting a Pre in my pocket.

I guess we USGeeks are fatter than you UKGeeks.
    In my experience, it's a very environmentally dependent thing.
    If you're a 40-somethings businessman, and you have a blackberry, it's not really weird seeing it on your belt, probably in a leather harness or something. If you're walking around town, or even just not wearing a collared shirt, it's a serious faux pas. It either marks you out as a dork, or a dweeb, or just not fashion conscious. The idea is, you don't expect to get a date if you've got a phone on your hip.
    umm i wear my phone on my hip all the time lol and im no dork (even though i like trutles) !!lol ltm ltm
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbeiser View Post
    If you're a 40-somethings businessman, and you have a blackberry, it's not really weird seeing it on your belt, probably in a leather harness or something. If you're walking around town, or even just not wearing a collared shirt, it's a serious faux pas. It either marks you out as a dork, or a dweeb, or just not fashion conscious. The idea is, you don't expect to get a date if you've got a phone on your hip.

Hehe. I see Droid X guy and Evo guy with hip holsters a lot. Whether they're dorks or not is ummmmm.....but I don't see Iphone guy or girl with a hip holster so what does that mean?
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    this thread is way off topic now!
    Quote Originally Posted by djfu3l3r View Post
    this thread is way off topic now!
    Meanwhile, back at the topic... If there are no more people with Sprint insiders they can get rumors from... then perhaps we can take this conversation over the the "Palm anticipation thread"...
    I wouldn't want to keep a phone too close to the family jewels
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    For me Pre 2 could be the ultimate smartphone desire, it looks so perfect, and that too with HP webOS !
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Carrying you phone around clipped to your belt, we don't do it, it's taken as a sign you are a giant tool.
    I am a giant tool.

Quote Originally Posted by ctbeiser View Post
    I still get dates.

Of course, same woman, and for several years now
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I wouldn't want to keep a phone too close to the family jewels
    Especially if it was a certain brand talking iPhone here
    that explodes...
    If only we knew where the OP's insider wore his phone and what headset he used, then we could judge his credibility.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456