Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by evilduckster View Post
    Most mom's I know drive something like a van (family taxi) or a truck. Why come out with some frilly (girly?) phone when that doesn't seem to be what most families need?
    Foleo??
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Agreed, a phone is a mobile device while a tablet is a nomadic device - people are not going to start buying tinyscreen phones simply because they have a tablet, they are still going to want a decent mobile device.
    I disagree, most people I know that got a tablet either stopped using their mobile phone so much, or sold their tablet on craigslist because they stopped using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    I disagree, most people I know that got a tablet either stopped using their mobile phone so much, or sold their tablet on craigslist because they stopped using it.
    Well, from a macro level, Samsung Galaxy Tab sales have only increased along with the sale of Galaxy S phones, and iPad sales have not cannibalized either Mac or iPhone sales. Regardless of your anecdotal evidence, tablet popularity is not producing a slowdown or ebbing of smartphone sales.

Trying to forcibly tie together these two product lines with devices that only function to their full potential when tethered is a colossal mistake. The one thing you don't want to do when launching a new product is present barriers to entry, and asking people to make an upfront investment of $400 (assuming both device were sold on carrier subsidy) to $600 or so on an unfamiliar platform is most certainly a barrier. A big one.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well, from a macro level, Samsung Galaxy Tab sales have only increased along with the sale of Galaxy S phones, and iPad sales have not cannibalized either Mac or iPhone sales. Regardless of your anecdotal evidence, tablet popularity is not producing a slowdown or ebbing of smartphone sales.

Trying to forcibly tie together these two product lines with devices that only function to their full potential when tethered is a colossal mistake. The one thing you don't want to do when launching a new product is present barriers to entry, and asking people to make an upfront investment of $400 (assuming both device were sold on carrier subsidy) to $600 or so on an unfamiliar platform is most certainly a barrier. A big one.
    The question is are the same people that bought the Tabs the same ones that bought the phones...only time will tell, I'm just saying that two devices tied together might be an option for people who have both device, becasuse certaintly there are people with Ipads who still use flip phones. (I see them on the train all the time)
    When I buy a tablet I will never want one with a celular modem and a whole separate monthly bill.

I will, however, want it to work well with my phone for teathering, battery sharing, and syncing data. I want them to also be the same os so I only buy apps once.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    How about a 4" phone that docks to a 10" tablet display? Why should we all buy tablets *and* phones with 3G/4G data plans, and then possibly have to keep them in sync? If the phone became a tablet, you'd have one device and one monthly bill.....
    If it's going to dock into a tablet anyway, you might as well make it as small as possible. In fact, you might as well take away the keyboard too. I could live with a Pre-sized screen and no keyboard if I could dock it in a tablet or a netbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    When I buy a tablet I will never want one with a celular modem and a whole separate monthly bill.

I will, however, want it to work well with my phone for teathering, battery sharing, and syncing data. I want them to also be the same os so I only buy apps once.
    But, what if that "phone" was on your wrist, also gave you connectivity to your desktop PC, your laptop, served as a phone with your BT... Oh yeah - and told you the time;
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Now THAT would be a feature that would get them a lot of press, and who knows, maybe customers. Of course, if they are the only vendor to offer it, it's not as valuable as if you can, you know, bring your US phone to Germany and buy a cheap SIM in the airport to make calls while you are on vacation.

I must be very gentle on electronics or something. I've never had a problem with moving parts, and I really like the slider.

Well, okay, I have damaged a little piece of plastic next to that funky charger-cover, but it makes zero functional difference, and I don't care. And why do I fiddle with the charger cover, and not use the nifty touchstone?
    Because I bought the fat battery. I bought it for a trip, when it would be inconvenient to charge/change batteries. I intended to switch back when I got home and had access to chargers most of the day. But it was just so nice not to have to worry about it, and I found the slightly fatter Pre made zero difference in how I used it. (Yeah, it doesn't look as sexy, but it's comfy to hold and fits in all the same places it did before.)

Does the Evo have a good battery? That's worth knowing, because as best as I can tell, most smartphones don't. Can you compare run-time directly between the Pre and the Evo?
    The stock Evo battery lasted longer than my Pre did, but no, I've not done a direct comparison. I don't like to use the Pre now and don't want to switch the new one out of my Evo.

My Pre was dying a slow death, bad oreo and always getting stuck in headset mode. The screen was also getting unpredictably non-responsive.

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    why is that? I heard evo has just as bad battery life. My friend and his girl have evo's and they both had pre's before and they say just as bad?
    I got more life with the stock Evo battery, but now I have the 3500 extended.

Posted from my eVo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    No way that you have a 16 year old LOL
    LMAO! Thanks, but I do, he'll be 16 on the 16th.

Posted from my eVo!
    I'd love an HPalm wristwatch!!! zomg!

I'd be cooler than **** Tracy!

Good question someone asked earlier, tho.... "How do you effectively enter text thru the onscreen keyboard, which can obviously be no larger than the wristwatch?"

I'd like to know the answer to that question without some flawless voice recognition, or reverting back to Graffiti. . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Gids345 View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Remember: "Think Big, Think Small, Think Beyond?" Sounds to me like they will be announcing a very small phone (the one you speak of) and also a large phone. From the little I've heard this large phone will probably have a 4.3 screen. So im not concerned. Even Rahul Sood mentioned about the many form factors of future webos devices.
    This.

Think Big (Tablets, et al.)
    Think Small (Wristwatch? I can only hope!)
    Think Beyond (Post-Pre, rather... a phone with ~4" screen)

I'd be willing to bet that there are at least 3 devices that will be announced, but they might oversaturate the market with more than 3 announcements in one day!! Three is a magic number...
    Think Big (Tablets)
    Think Small (various size phones)
    Think Beyond (cloud, WebOS on TouchSmart Windows PCs, printers, TVs, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I really hope they aren't. The idea of two codependent devices is a regression that people are not going to gravitate to, IMHO. I think Motorola has it right. Make an awesome phone that can do it all, but provide OPTIONAL docks that enable different form factors.

I think a tablet dependent on a phone is a bad idea whether it's the Playbook or this hypothetical tablet.
    I disagree. I see people us "codependent" phones frequently> I do it.

When I'm on my motorcycle, I have a bluetooth headset that is attached to my helmet.

When I'm not, I have a bluetooth headset attached to my ear.

I'd say about 95% of my calls are made using a BT headset.

The problem in the past with "codependent" devices was the prohibative size. Who wanted to carry a Mac around just to update their iPod (c'mon now, that was a very successful "codependent" set). If I had a wristwatch size device (that also served as a very good wristwatch) that connected to my BTs and to a tablet, I don't think I'd need a phone.

If they added in a small mic and speaker on the device (for those times you don't have a BT), I'd be pretty much set.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    And what carrier is going to want to sell both the smartphone and tablet connection for one data plan when they could sell two separate ones or at least charge the tethering add-on? Perhaps they would do it to move an unpopular smartphone. And on a CDMA voice connection you couldn't do data so if you were talking on your phone then you or someone else would not be able to use the tablet.
    What company would want to carry a combinatiion mobile phone/music player where the manufacturer holds all the cards (no pun or slight intended)?

One that wants to carry a popular device.

Granted, the former isn't popular yet, but it could be.

As for the CDMA issue, if I needed to do voice and data at the same time in such a setup, there's VoIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    When I'm on my motorcycle, I have a bluetooth headset that is attached to my helmet.

I'd say about 95% of my calls are made using a BT headset.
    I've tried to think of ways that I could get some real use out of bluetooth, for quite a few years now. I could never come up with a legitimate use-scenario for me, but a helmet w/ built-in bluetooth headset would definitely be doable.

Can't believe what I've been missing!!
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I've tried to think of ways that I could get some real use out of bluetooth, for quite a few years now. I could never come up with a legitimate use-scenario for me, but a helmet w/ built-in bluetooth headset would definitely be doable.

Can't believe what I've been missing!!
    Slightly off-topic, but don't get a built in. Buy an add-on. This is what I have.
    Bluetooth Stereo Headset and Intercom for Motorcycles - SMH10
    Plays my music great. Phone calls "interrupt" nicely. The phone button will auto-dial the last phone number you dialed, and rumor is that Voice Dialing will be in the OTA update to WebOS 2.

I paid $275 for a two radio/headset set (the radio detaches so you can charge it). That's not much more than a good quality BT headset costs.

Like I said, between that, and the stereo BT I wear indoors in a car, I almost never use the speakers and mic on the phone.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

You are American right? It's interesting to me that there are two habits that Americans have that don't seem to have taken off here in the UK 1) Using bluetooth headsets outside of cars and 2) Belt-harnesses.
    Slightly off-topic, but don't get a built in. Buy an add-on. This is what I have.
    Bluetooth Stereo Headset and Intercom for Motorcycles - SMH10
    Plays my music great. Phone calls "interrupt" nicely. The phone button will auto-dial the last phone number you dialed, and rumor is that Voice Dialing will be in the OTA update to WebOS 2.

I paid $275 for a two radio/headset set (the radio detaches so you can charge it). That's not much more than a good quality BT headset costs.

Like I said, between that, and the stereo BT I wear indoors in a car, I almost never use the speakers and mic on the phone.
    Shoulda had a "PRO TIP:" in front of that post.

Thanks hparsons! Reading the reviews & watching some vids just made it a virtual certainty that I'll be purchasing a pair around springtime.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You are American right? It's interesting to me that there are two habits that Americans have that don't seem to have taken off here in the UK 1) Using bluetooth headsets outside of cars and 2) Belt-harnesses.
    Yea, I don't understand the use of bluetooth unless attached to a motorcycle helmet. Otherwise just use the speakerphone, or put the phone next to your head... or if you want some stereo sound, use a stereo headset with 3.5mm plug. No need to buy extra accessories and charge batteries...

What is a "belt harness"?? And are you saying that you do or don't use them in the UK?
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    What is a "belt harness"?? And are you saying that you do or don't use them in the UK?
    Carrying you phone around clipped to your belt, we don't do it, it's taken as a sign you are a giant tool (same for using bluetooth in the street) or a geek*.

* note I am just explaining the cultural difference before anyone leaps down my throat.
    Last edited by CGK; 01/14/2011 at 04:52 AM.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast