Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Whatever they come out with there is one key word they need to chant: battery, battery, battery, battery...
    Hey, you just reminded me, I no longer have to carry spares.

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    they probably will get 2 or more webOS phones, so if one is super small, that's fine.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    But I don't think I can take a smaller screen.
    After a few weeks with my work Droid-X, the screen on my personal Pre+ seemed like a postage stamp. Unless HP/Palm are putting a micro projector and one of those virtual laser keyboard thingies into their new ultra-small phone, I don't see it being overly useful if the screen/keyboard is any smaller than the current Pre.....
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, you've to to admit that it is a niche. The Verizon Mommy-phone didn't work because the Pre was never really designed to fill that niche. However, a truly small phone could do it. A lot of people did like the size of the Pixi despite it being kind of a paddle.
    I am 28 year old male with big fingers and i really like the pixi form factor. Stopped using is because it was slow and the camera really sucked.

I think if palm came out with a device as thin as the pixi, but the screen size of the pre, with no keyboard, it would be a hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I just wish Sprint would come up with some ingenious way of letting Sprint users switch phones as easily as GSM users can by swapping a SIM card. Then having different phones for different occasions/needs would be awesome. When I was on AT&T, I'd just swap my SIM into an old beater phone for when I went fishing so I didn't take a chance ruining a better phone.

A little invention like this with the CDMA carriers would go a long way and would make HP's idea work great with those carriers.
    Now THAT would be a feature that would get them a lot of press, and who knows, maybe customers. Of course, if they are the only vendor to offer it, it's not as valuable as if you can, you know, bring your US phone to Germany and buy a cheap SIM in the airport to make calls while you are on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Having had the Pre for awhile forced me to swear off phones with moving parts!
    I must be very gentle on electronics or something. I've never had a problem with moving parts, and I really like the slider.

Well, okay, I have damaged a little piece of plastic next to that funky charger-cover, but it makes zero functional difference, and I don't care. And why do I fiddle with the charger cover, and not use the nifty touchstone?

Posted from my eVo!
    Because I bought the fat battery. I bought it for a trip, when it would be inconvenient to charge/change batteries. I intended to switch back when I got home and had access to chargers most of the day. But it was just so nice not to have to worry about it, and I found the slightly fatter Pre made zero difference in how I used it. (Yeah, it doesn't look as sexy, but it's comfy to hold and fits in all the same places it did before.)

Does the Evo have a good battery? That's worth knowing, because as best as I can tell, most smartphones don't. Can you compare run-time directly between the Pre and the Evo?
    Yep! This mom has an Evo and my son will be 16 in 5 more days.
    No way that you have a 16 year old LOL
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I guess this goes good with "think small, think big, think beyond".
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Ok guys, so far I've seen 3 form factors of new WebOS phones. One is very tiny. The other two are 4.0 screen (one slab, one horizontal slider) with a 1900mAh battery running WebOS 2.0.1.

Do I work for Palm/HP? NO. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
    oh so that's who you are, I would never have imagined
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Posted from my eVo!
    why is that? I heard evo has just as bad battery life. My friend and his girl have evo's and they both had pre's before and they say just as bad?
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

Tablets and big screened smart phones are all the rage these days. But really, who wants to carry around a 4" phone AND a 10" tablet? It's redundant and stupid.

I'd much rather carry around a 10" tablet and a tiny phone that can tether. Even better would be if the two devices were designed to work with each other. I hope HP is on the same page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post

Tablets and big screened smart phones are all the rage these days. But really, who wants to carry around a 4" phone AND a 10" tablet? It's redundant and stupid.

I'd much rather carry around a 10" tablet and a tiny phone that can tether. Even better would be if the two devices were designed to work with each other. I hope HP is on the same page.
    I really hope they aren't. The idea of two codependent devices is a regression that people are not going to gravitate to, IMHO. I think Motorola has it right. Make an awesome phone that can do it all, but provide OPTIONAL docks that enable different form factors.

I think a tablet dependent on a phone is a bad idea whether it's the Playbook or this hypothetical tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post

+1

Yea, I really don't understand why people need really big phones and then an even bigger tablet that pretty much perform the same functionality.

Since HP has been talking about building a whole operating ecosytem, I think a tiny smart phone as an attachment to a tablet would work nicely, wherein the tablet is used for audiovisual consumption, email/composition and the attached smart phone is just used for audio consumption, calendar events, and phone calls while still capable of more if needed, but it would bring back the battery life of the flip phone era, and take away all this unecessary dual core processor crap in a 3.7"-4.3" screen, which is just stupid and I really don't know what people are using their phones for, but i guess I'm just old fashioned (not swayed by media propaganda).
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Ok guys, so far I've seen 3 form factors of new WebOS phones. One is very tiny. The other two are 4.0 screen (one slab, one horizontal slider) with a 1900mAh battery running WebOS 2.0.1.

Do I work for Palm/HP? NO. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
    I believe you, so tell us more?
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Whatever they come out with there is one key word they need to chant: battery, battery, battery, battery...
    i wanna upvote this 1,000 times. i really hope that the battery issue is addressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    why is that? I heard evo has just as bad battery life. My friend and his girl have evo's and they both had pre's before and they say just as bad?

Getting much better battery life from my Evo here than I did with the Pre. I do keep the screen at 50% indoors, (which is right were it needs to be for me) and turn off mobile data when in wi-fi area (great app "juice defender" can do that automatically as well as other behind-the-scene battery things that help). With similar phone usage and heavier web browsing (3g) than with my Pre, I can go all day without plugging in, something i could not do with the Pre. What is actually best about it all, for me anyway, is how little juice it is pulling overnight even with radio still on (I am often on call 24/7 so cant use airplane mode at night). I can go to bed without plugging it in and -- assuming it still has some juice -- know that the alarm will go off and it will still have plenty of power to take an important call in the morning until i get to a plug. With my pre, it would drain like crazy overnight and usually be dead the next morning if i forgot to plug it in (which of course, meant a 5 min reboot!)

So as to not hi-jack this thread, however, the "small" device could conceivably have great battery life with a smaller screen and perhaps lower-powered specs than the current superphones. That could be another selling point of the thing. The phone lasts for several days on a charge when you don't have it doing lots of computerish things that are now being handled by your tablet. I can really see them pushing the small phone with a tablet as a great combo. That, I notice, is what a lot of people are doing with their I-pads although not nearly as neatly and seamlessly as I am sure HP/Palm could do it

http://forums.precentral.net/attachm...1&d=1294852184

Coming Feb 9th!!!!
    Think really, really small.

And really really Big...and Beyond...

http://forums.precentral.net/attachm...1&d=1294853267
    Last edited by midmofan; 01/12/2011 at 11:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    After a few weeks with my work Droid-X, the screen on my personal Pre+ seemed like a postage stamp. Unless HP/Palm are putting a micro projector and one of those virtual laser keyboard thingies into their new ultra-small phone, I don't see it being overly useful if the screen/keyboard is any smaller than the current Pre.....
    I've changed my mind about the keyboard being necessary. If they can get voice recognition working in a wearable or tiny form factor phone on par with how well Google/Motorola have it working on the Droid-X, then "think beyond" may be referring to a device that doesn't even need a physical/virtual keyboard to be useful. If they could pull it off in a watch form factor, I'd be standing in line to buy it on launch day.....
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I really hope they aren't. The idea of two codependent devices is a regression that people are not going to gravitate to, IMHO. I think Motorola has it right. Make an awesome phone that can do it all, but provide OPTIONAL docks that enable different form factors.

I think a tablet dependent on a phone is a bad idea whether it's the Playbook or this hypothetical tablet.
    Agreed, a phone is a mobile device while a tablet is a nomadic device - people are not going to start buying tinyscreen phones simply because they have a tablet, they are still going to want a decent mobile device.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I've changed my mind about the keyboard being necessary. If they can get voice recognition working in a wearable or tiny form factor phone on par with how well Google/Motorola have it working on the Droid-X, then "think beyond" may be referring to a device that doesn't even need a physical/virtual keyboard to be useful. If they could pull it off in a watch form factor, I'd be standing in line to buy it on launch day.....
    Absolutely no chance, if HP have got the technology to the state that no keyboard is required of any type I would literally eat my hat. I can see a complementary device to a phone or tablet existing but a complete standalone replacement? No chance.
    so...anybodu knows Moto Defy...?
    In comparison to Droid X/Samsung captivate/galaxy s/nexus s/and iPhone is really tiny...

but it has a 3,7 touchscreen....and a decent battery...

for me that is the best thing they can do!
    a Defy style phone or at least a 3,5inch webos touch and then an 4inch phone...

there you have it...
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast