Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    cloning anything is straight up bad business!

if, however, you mean it should compete with it.. Then yes that's what it should be

also I love how everyone thinks 'omg if it doesn't have a 'retina display' its a fail'... Honestly the avg joe doesn't even understand what resolution means nor would they care. Another case of what jobs says ppl believe
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    The next HP/Palm phone had better not be a clone of anything Android....
    Given the wide hardware range of Android devices, I think the only form factor still available is the flip phone!
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenooooo pe......

Build a WebOs flip phone and I walk.... now a flip tablet with two screens.... that I can get behind.

I guess what I mean by clone is don't try to be something you're not. First the Pre was the iPhone without the Apple logo....

I just don't want HP/Palm to try to be another phone. Make a phone that showcases WebOS and call it good.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

As it has been said by many already, HPalm can't afford to clone, they have to leapfrog or get out of the way.
    Last edited by sinime; 01/10/2011 at 03:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    As it has been said by many already, HPalm can't afford to clone, they have to leapfrog or get out of the way.
    When folks post stuff like this, it makes no sense bc you don't take into account how fast this industry moves. It's like the computer market. So HP builds something that 'leap frogs' everything else. Cool. That device(s) will be out lepted by the next 'hot' device 3 to 5 months after it is released. Just look at Android phones for a comparison.

HP should build phones that are competitive specs wise and hardware wise, but they're not going to do anything hardware wise that no one else isn't going to think of. So if they don't keap frog some random phone they should just quit? Hardly.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I think you misunderstand what sinime is saying. You have to progress in one way or another past where the current tech line is drawn. Sure you might only have the latest and greatest for a week, but if you put out clones of other phones and not do something new, you will get passed over.

Another way of looking at it...

Ford puts out 4 years of Explorers, each year tweaking something or doing something better than anyone out there.

Then they revise and put out a new model. They put a new trany in there and improve fuel economy to 25 mpg which beats anyone in that class.

They have done something new and improved the market. Now if Chevy comes out and does the exact same thing later, it's not as cool or noteworthy.

Palm needs to be the Ford of this example and not the Chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    When folks post stuff like this, it makes no sense bc you don't take into account how fast this industry moves. It's like the computer market. So HP builds something that 'leap frogs' everything else. Cool. That device(s) will be out lepted by the next 'hot' device 3 to 5 months after it is released. Just look at Android phones for a comparison.

HP should build phones that are competitive specs wise and hardware wise, but they're not going to do anything hardware wise that no one else isn't going to think of. So if they don't keap frog some random phone they should just quit? Hardly.
    I see where you are headed, but without the app catalog that iOS/Android has, why would anyone look at identically specked phones and go with the one that has 2.5% of the apps that competitors have and is nothing of an improvement? I for one may be jumping ship, it all depends on what kind of vibe I get from whatever they announce on Feb. 9. I've been up for an upgrade for 7 months. Lately I have been trying to pull apart exactly why I have not been impressed with android up to now because some of those new devices at CES are VERY interesting.
    I see where you are headed, but without the app catalog that iOS/Android has, why would anyone look at identically specked phones and go with the one that has 2.5% of the apps that competitors have and is nothing of an improvement?
    OS look and feel is huge, to me. And app numbers should be secondary to overall amount of quality and useful apps.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    How does Hpalm leap frog anything? Considering they are low man on the poll in the mobile space atm what company is going to bring them leapfrog tech?

Moto, Samsung and HTC pretty much get any new tech they want considering they actually sell more than a handful of phones a month.

So throwing out all the hardware tech all Hpalm has is software and from the looks of whats coming from the competition that's not much nowadays either.

So what could they leapfrog with?
    I see where you are headed, but without the app catalog that iOS/Android has, why would anyone look at identically specked phones and go with the one that has 2.5% of the apps that competitors have and is nothing of an improvement? I for one may be jumping ship, it all depends on what kind of vibe I get from whatever they announce on Feb. 9. I've been up for an upgrade for 7 months. Lately I have been trying to pull apart exactly why I have not been impressed with android up to now because some of those new devices at CES are VERY interesting.
    I said this in the announcement thread and I'll say it here. Just like it was mentioned in the Engadget podcast from last week: The majority of consumers looking for a new phone do not walk into a store and I announce to the salesperson "I want apps, apps, apps. Give me apps". They don't even know what apps they want until they get home; and even then it's "essential" apps that you would use to help in your day to day activities (dvr, bank). They go with the one they hear or see the most of.
    I said this in the announcement thread and I'll say it here. Just like it was mentioned in the Engadget podcast from last week: The majority of consumers looking for a new phone do not walk into a store and I announce to the salesperson "I want apps, apps, apps. Give me apps". They don't even know what apps they want until they get home; and even then it's "essential" apps that you would use to help in your day to day activities (dvr, bank). They go with the one they hear or see the most of.
    Absolutely. The app catalog won't grow if the customer base doesn't grow, so the best way to do that is to produce a desirable device that customers want. Consider that the smartphone market is only 30% of the cellphone market in the U.S. and there's plenty of room for HP to grab completely new customers instead of competing with the existing iPhone/Android customer base who might compare it to what their current smartphone has/can do.
    Palm III>Sony CLIÉ S300>Sony CLIÉ N760C>Sony CLIÉ TG50 & Tapwave Zodiac 2>Handspring Treo 600>Palm Treo 700p>Palm Treo 755p>Palm Pre>FrankenPre2
    True, but they do say stuff like "can I talk to it and get it to search or dial the pone?" and they say "My friend's phone has this cool app that maps the stars, can it do that?" and "can I use it to look up prices in the store? Can I watch Hulu on it? Can I use it to change the channels on Xfinity like I saw on tv?" etc.

They are looking for the benefit, and the answer will always be in the form of an app.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    How does Hpalm leap frog anything? Considering they are low man on the poll in the mobile space atm what company is going to bring them leapfrog tech?

Moto, Samsung and HTC pretty much get any new tech they want considering they actually sell more than a handful of phones a month.

So throwing out all the hardware tech all Hpalm has is software and from the looks of whats coming from the competition that's not much nowadays either.

So what could they leapfrog with?
    I would argue that Palm's abominable hardware record makes this less of a priority. Because they set the bar so low, "keeping up with the joneses" would be equivalent to a normal company leapfrogging.

They're not going to be able to "leapfrog" qHD or Retina Displays. The hottest processors commercially available have already been announced. There's nothing new about a 4.3, 4.5, 5-inch, 7-inch, 8.9-inch or 9.7-inch device that's all touchscreen. But it would be new and remarkable for HP Palm to offer these, so that's something.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I would argue that Palm's abominable hardware record makes this less of a priority. Because they set the bar so low, "keeping up with the joneses" would be equivalent to a normal company leapfrogging.

They're not going to be able to "leapfrog" qHD or Retina Displays. The hottest processors commercially available have already been announced. There's nothing new about a 4.3, 4.5, 5-inch, 7-inch, 8.9-inch or 9.7-inch device that's all touchscreen. But it would be new and remarkable for HP Palm to offer these, so that's something.
    think beyond...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    True, but they do say stuff like "can I talk to it and get it to search or dial the pone?" and they say "My friend's phone has this cool app that maps the stars, can it do that?" and "can I use it to look up prices in the store? Can I watch Hulu on it? Can I use it to change the channels on Xfinity like I saw on tv?" etc.

They are looking for the benefit, and the answer will always be in the form of an app.
    Yep. But who's to say that as the app cat grows those types of apps won't be there? I won't say that at this point, but as I said before, having dvr apps, bank apps, netflix, e-reader apps are the essentials. Everything else such as star mapper apps and the like are sprinkles on top of your cupcake's icing. They're great decoratorations but they don't really add much to the overall flavor of the cupcake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

Not sure about that. I know some people (ok, millions) of people purchasing phones because the carrier offered it to them for free.

Hell, my father wants an iPhone, and he was unable to recognize as an iPhone my brother's one in front of him. Just wants one because somebody told him about it (but he don't know what an iPhone can/can't do at all).
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Not sure about that. I know some people (ok, millions) of people purchasing phones because the carrier offered it to them for free.

Hell, my father wants an iPhone, and he was unable to recognize as an iPhone my brother's one in front of him. Just wants one because somebody told him about it (but he don't know what an iPhone can/can't do at all).
    And he thinks it's FREE!!!!

I see this all day long in store with all phones.. Lol.. They don't get it

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12