Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think HP's smartphone strategy is going to largely be determined by what kind of reception they get from the carriers. I'm sure they learned a lot from the reception of the Pre 2. ...
    I would expect a pretty conservative smartphone lineup from HP - basically low cost and low maintenance. HP doesn't have to get into the smartphone fray in any big way. They aren't just going to throw money at a losing venture when they could throw the same money at umpteen more profitable endeavors. That's how you run a conglomerate - by picking your battles. They are just too late to this one, coming to the game in Spring of 2011.
    Alot of this above makes sense. But I would posit it as HP will use the PalmPad to drive sales since WebOS shines on the PalmPad in a way that the other tablet products do not as yet. If HP offers several PalmPad models, this shows they are appealing hard to the SMB market. They can then bundle the phones and perhaps apps on the phones can remotely control the PalmPad and other devices. Making a small phone could appeal to go along with the larger PalmPad.
    In the meantime, as they move this strategy forward, I would still bet on one monster phone as a flagship product--perhaps to Sprint where the current Pre base resides. If the PalmPad and conservative lineup of phones take off, then the other carriers will come around quickly--especially AT&T I would think, as Verizon moves into the iphone and takes away AT&T customers (this is probably also behind At&T's aggressive droid lineup, they are probably looking for one or multiple hits to stop subscriber hemorrhage and don't yet know from where it will come)
    I don't think the relationship between Sprint and Palm is strained. Both companies are able to make solid business decisions without hurting the other's feelings. If Sprint passed on the Pre2 (and they probably did) that just makes Palm want to work that much harder for the next one. Playing hard to get works in many aspects of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Apple hasn't officially announced anything, but if you're going to live in fear of what Apple might do, why compete in the US consumer electronics industry? Verizon and ATT are outlying their plans for most of the year at CES, and HP isn't a part of them.

I'm not sure waiting until February 9 to remind people they're in the game is such a good idea. That gives consumers lots of time to fall in love with and get acquainted with a Samsung Infuse 4G or Motorola Atrix 4G.
    Dude, everyone supposes it, and they (if they are in the industry) know it.

mikah, sincerely: I'm a webOS developer: It's easy, funny and different. And I would love to be a full time webOS developer (something absolutely impossible right now), so I need devices in people's hands. I would have loved to see this announcement last July 1st 2010. Said this, it doesn't seem that the Galaxy S has been a failure after EVO, Nexus, iPhone4 and other phones launch.

The true market is not as we see here. Most people just get interested in a phone when they see one in other's hands or their contract ends, and both things happen on a daily basis.

I'm with you that the sooner, the better, but they need to promise and deliver. You and me know exactly what's the cost of announcing something soon and delivering 6 months later.

If they are able to announce product on February and release a month later (March), they'll be doing it better that announing it at CES and releasing in March. It's the same release time, but hey, it's far from the same in consumers' perception: "I've seen that phone on Engadget a few days/weeks ago" vs. "I've seen that phone a few months ago". The first one is newness, the second one is old news.

Look at the Blackberry tablet... it's a Pre: people starts getting tired of watching just videos of the tablet.

(All this post, of course, supposing they're ready to release at least some of the devices in March).
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think HP's smartphone strategy is going to largely be determined by what kind of reception they get from the carriers. I'm sure they learned a lot from the reception of the Pre 2.

Obviously, something has seriously gone awry with Palm and Sprint. I think once-bitten twice-shy probably applies to this relationship. AT&T just announced that they are going to launch 12 Android devices in 2011. They may or may not have room for an HP phone in their lineup. Who knows what happens at Verizon once they get the iPhone.

I would expect a pretty conservative smartphone lineup from HP - basically low cost and low maintenance. HP doesn't have to get into the smartphone fray in any big way. They aren't just going to throw money at a losing venture when they could throw the same money at umpteen more profitable endeavors. That's how you run a conglomerate - by picking your battles. They are just too late to this one, coming to the game in Spring of 2011.
    They need one "better than the iPhone" model, so you can bet at least one of them is going to be a monster phone. The rest of the product line, let's see...

Nobody has commented, but I bet we are going to see some cool announcements about apps...

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Nobody has commented, but I bet we are going to see some cool announcements about apps...
    I sure hope so. They need to be getting apps from all the businesses that we already do business with. Netflix, Hulu, Bank of America, IheartRadio, etc etc.

That's what will put webOS on the map for new smartphone buyers.
    As far as apps are concerned. I think if HP is secretly working with all the major businesses to get apps for the "new" WebOS then they have a fighting chance. I know hardware is the BIG issue and it's what kept a lot of people from buying into the system but apps aren't there either!

I'm hoping HP announces apps like Hulu Plus and/or Netflix Streaming and things like the Comcast Remote for PalmPad . These kinds of apps are almost mandatory the way consumer electronics are going. I know more than one person who had a pre or pixi and left for Android because it didn't have this app or that app.

I'm patiently waiting to drop Android and go back to webOS. Still a fan but after 5 pres I had to get a different phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Dude, everyone supposes it, and they (if they are in the industry) know it.

mikah, sincerely: I'm a webOS developer: It's easy, funny and different. And I would love to be a full time webOS developer (something absolutely impossible right now), so I need devices in people's hands. I would have loved to see this announcement last July 1st 2010. Said this, it doesn't seem that the Galaxy S has been a failure after EVO, Nexus, iPhone4 and other phones launch.

The true market is not as we see here. Most people just get interested in a phone when they see one in other's hands or their contract ends, and both things happen on a daily basis.

I'm with you that the sooner, the better, but they need to promise and deliver. You and me know exactly what's the cost of announcing something soon and delivering 6 months later.

If they are able to announce product on February and release a month later (March), they'll be doing it better that announing it at CES and releasing in March. It's the same release time, but hey, it's far from the same in consumers' perception: "I've seen that phone on Engadget a few days/weeks ago" vs. "I've seen that phone a few months ago". The first one is newness, the second one is old news.

Look at the Blackberry tablet... it's a Pre: people starts getting tired of watching just videos of the tablet.

(All this post, of course, supposing they're ready to release at least some of the devices in March).
    Nice post, and thanks for the different perspective. I hope they're making Sprint a big priority. Verizon is about as indifferent as can be, T-Mobile appears incapable of selling anything significantly but MyTouch devices, and between 12 Android handsets (some of which will be 4G), WP7 and the iPhone 5, AT&T is going to be supercrowded this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowbugle View Post
    As far as apps are concerned. I think if HP is secretly working with all the major businesses to get apps for the "new" WebOS then they have a fighting chance. I know hardware is the BIG issue and it's what kept a lot of people from buying into the system but apps aren't there either!

I'm hoping HP announces apps like Hulu Plus and/or Netflix Streaming and things like the Comcast Remote for PalmPad . These kinds of apps are almost mandatory the way consumer electronics are going. I know more than one person who had a pre or pixi and left for Android because it didn't have this app or that app.

I'm patiently waiting to drop Android and go back to webOS. Still a fan but after 5 pres I had to get a different phone.
    I'm not saying this is impossible, but as I have said elsewhere - I work for a MAJOR retailer (international and US) and we're an HP client for many things. I work in online and side-by-side the developers of our mobile apps. We already have an iOS one, and the Android one is almost complete. WP7 is slated after that, and that's it. Not only do we have no plans whatsoever for WebOS, but HP never approached our development team about it.

I asked some of the leads personally back when I still had a Pre.
    Let's be realistic about the timing of this event. If HP had any products to sell, they would be selling them NOW! I also have not seen any news about FCC filings. That is why Apple had to announce the iPhone so far in advance. Usually, these things need time to clear the FCC. That is partly why I don't think they will have anything ready to go anytime soon.

As for Apple, forget about it. There are two glacier-sized events that will squish everything else for the next several months: the Verizon iPhone, and the iPad 2. These will be the lead stories in every major paper and journalistic outlet in the world. If HP is lucky, they will get a page 6 mention: "HP enters the iPad market!"

Forget Apple, HP would be lucky to be Samsung or Motorola. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have done. But to believe that this is the moment HP possessed and executed an original idea is just pure fanaticism. HP does not need to beat Apple, or even catch them. They just need to justify the purchase of Palm to their investors in some meaningful way. I suspect they can manage that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Let's be realistic about the timing of this event. If HP had any products to sell, they would be selling them NOW! I also have not seen any news about FCC filings. That is why Apple had to announce the iPhone so far in advance. Usually, these things need time to clear the FCC. That is partly why I don't think they will have anything ready to go anytime soon.

As for Apple, forget about it. There are two glacier-sized events that will squish everything else for the next several months: the Verizon iPhone, and the iPad 2. These will be the lead stories in every major paper and journalistic outlet in the world. If HP is lucky, they will get a page 6 mention: "HP enters the iPad market!"

Forget Apple, HP would be lucky to be Samsung or Motorola. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have done. But to believe that this is the moment HP possessed and executed an original idea is just pure fanaticism. HP does not need to beat Apple, or even catch them. They just need to justify the purchase of Palm to their investors in some meaningful way. I suspect they can manage that.
    I think - hope? - HP has more serious intentions than short-term measures, but I will agree that even if they have something to show in February, I think it'll be awhile before it makes it to market. Every computer manufacturer stepping in the smartphone ring - Dell, Acer, etc. - is announcing a suite of connected products, but none have been able to ship sooner than a number of months after the announcements. Even Samsung couldn't get the Galaxy S to US carriers any sooner than 4 months after announcing it. And it took another 3-4 months to get it on every US carrier.

If HP could defy this trend, I would be amazed.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    HP needs to spend a lot of cash to pay off developers to make apps.

That's what Google did to Rovio to get Angry Birds on Android.
    a guy I post on another message board with works in a Verizon store. He said an HP rep came in the other day to train him on the Pre 2 (he was pretty amazed at webOS, but anyways).

He said that HP is planning on opening a new app store with 200,000 apps, that they are dropping the Palm name, and that they are going to be spending Apple-type money on marketing.

Always...grain of salt here, but if true...great news.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    a guy I post on another message board with works in a Verizon store. He said an HP rep came in the other day to train him on the Pre 2 (he was pretty amazed at webOS, but anyways).

He said that HP is planning on opening a new app store with 200,000 apps, that they are dropping the Palm name, and that they are going to be spending Apple-type money on marketing.

Always...grain of salt here, but if true...great news.
    So where are they getting these 200k apps? Are they now going to make webOS natively run Android or old palmOS apps?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    He said that HP is planning on opening a new app store with 200,000 apps
    Yea right you just cant come up with 195,000 apps overnight, that would've been leaked by now

Although, what HP should do is build an easy cross-platform conversion API like Appcelerators Titanium
    I think he actually said a new app store that has 200,000 lines of code.
    I think the HP rep might have gotten careless with zero's after 20_ _ _ _
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    let it be 200 apps. BUT those 200 apps full of hyper quality. very practical ones. not quantity
    And with only 200 apps, you'd always have others that would be extremely unhappy, because what they need wouldn't be among them.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast