Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637383940414247 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 740 of 960
  1. #721  
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMav View Post
    I think the importance of quantity of apps is overrated, but there is a severe dearth of "Primary Apps" on webOS, and that is the problem. Stuff like Twitter, Netflix, Audible, from the actual companies themselves, is desperately needed. Third party work-around apps are nice, and it's all we have for the most part, but if webOS starts gaining traction with content providers in an official capacity, I think that will help their poor "app perception".
    I agree that "primary" apps are needed, but I don't see anything wrong with devs creating outstanding apps that are better than the official apps. If you don't have an official Twitter app but you want to use Twitter, is someone going to bypass Carbon, Phx, Bad Kitty, Twee and so forth bc there isn't an official app? Not likely, especially if the app does everything the official one does. But I don't subscribe to the theory that if you don't have an official app but you have non-officials apps, you have a app perception problem.

    In my mind "primary" apps are the consumer facing apps that your normal everyday user will want to use. Those would be apps such as New York Times, Netflix, dvr apps, banking apps, Hulu, e-reader apps and so forth. This is where the dev relations team at HP/Palm needs to focus their attention. And I would venture a guess that they're doing so.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  2. #722  
    While i agree with the link....i hate survey results that don't give you the survey size and methodology.

    Honestly the numbers mean nothing to me.
  3. #723  
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    the Pre2 actually is the device that has the tablet power built inside.
    it has a 1GHz cpu and with that, it is _very_ powerful.

    only things missing are compass and gyroscope.

    so at the moment they don't necessarily need a Pre replacement, they need other form factors...
    My Pre 1 is already overclocked to 1ghz. I assure you I need a Pre replacement, and Pre 2 is not cutting the mustard.
  4. #724  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    But with a good tablet or netbook, you do not need to carry your laptop. You can leave your precious data at home or leave it at the office, then carry only what documents you need for the day. Although a phone with a big screen can also double as a mini-tablet.

    I think the tablet market was created to compete with laptops. That was how it was before they became huge(when MSFT kept trying) and now even more so. You still cannot replace a laptop depending on what you do, but many people likely do not need to have their laptop with them all day long. Put on email, office, presentation and document editing features; and some would be good to go for the day. Although concerning email, you probably need to have a data version if you're going to rely on the tablet for email and not your phone.

    Some of the tablet's features can be redundant if you have a smarphone, but if you need or want that screen size and don't want to risk your laptop data, tablets are useful IMO.
    I save my data on an eternal hard drive when I plug my laptop into my docking station. I travel a bit and can use docks at other offices with the laptop I am carrying. When I can leave my laptoo behind, I don't want to carry anything other than my phone. I se no need for a tablet. I think the vast majority agree, but still 'want' the tablet. Fine, others can do so, and I am glad they will have choices. But my point is I want the phone, and I 'need' the phone. And I war a whole lot of silence from the leak springs about phones. That worries me.
  5. shloime's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    #725  
    15 years ago, nobody needed a cellphone. 70 years ago nobody needed a tv,etc,etc,etc. the same with the touchpad?
  6. #726  
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    15 years ago, nobody needed a cellphone. 70 years ago nobody needed a tv,etc,etc,etc. the same with the touchpad?
    So how long before we NEED tablets

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  7. #727  
    Why would you differentiate between a laptop and a netbook? I have a dell e4200 that is less than an inch thick and about as small as you'll get wsith a 12" screen. So it's netbook size with laptop specs. The neww amd fusion chipset also blurs the lines between netbook and ultraportable. And even the mfg's are creating tablets with integrated and removable keyboards outside of the sweet looking samsung slider. Some of the mfgs realize they need to take these tablet wants and turn them into a need. As these mobile OS's mature, they offer the 'needed' functionality people want in an on the go product, that, while offering some crossover with their phone, offers a more comfortable and pleasurable user experience with the larger more traditional layout of a laptop. A good tablet on its own will never replace a netbook/laptop unless it has a keyboard option, well, except for those that never really needed a keyboard in the first place in which their netbook/laptop was was most likely bolught to fill a want and not a need.

    And, I really don't care to transfer just what I need for the day. I want it all with me. I'd rather have my home computer sync to a NAS that I can access via my laptop, tablet or phone. Right now I just email all the files I create on my phone so I can download them to my main computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    But with a good tablet or netbook, you do not need to carry your laptop. You can leave your precious data at home or leave it at the office, then carry only what documents you need for the day. Although a phone with a big screen can also double as a mini-tablet.

    I think the tablet market was created to compete with laptops. That was how it was before they became huge(when MSFT kept trying) and now even more so. You still cannot replace a laptop depending on what you do, but many people likely do not need to have their laptop with them all day long. Put on email, office, presentation and document editing features; and some would be good to go for the day. Although concerning email, you probably need to have a data version if you're going to rely on the tablet for email and not your phone.

    Some of the tablet's features can be redundant if you have a smarphone, but if you need or want that screen size and don't want to risk your laptop data, tablets are useful IMO.
  8. #728  
    In case you didn't see.

    Wanna join us in SF on 2/9? Check out The Official HP Palm Blog: Thinking about February 9 -- and beyond
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
  9. #729  
    i will be in sf on 2/9/11 for event . can wait
  10. #730  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    In case you didn't see.

    Wanna join us in SF on 2/9? Check out The Official HP Palm Blog: Thinking about February 9 -- and beyond
    Maybe one of you veteran Twitter users can help me on this. I opened my Twitter account and posted "Hey, @palm - I’m ready to #thinkbeyond on February 9: http://tinyurl.com/thinkbeyond" but if you search for "sinimex #thinkbeyond", it doesn't find my twit. Is that the correct term, twit? I can search for any other user name that did post that and they show up.

    Also, the "Protect my tweets" option is not checked and I have tried searching both logged in and out.

    Anyhow, yes my twitter account is "sinimex" and was just curious why I can't find my post.
  11. #731  
    Searched and couldn't find an answer. My dear wife just said she'd take me there for my birthday! (which is February 8th). Please do tell if you know the answer.

    Thanks in advance!!
  12. #732  
    I do not think that it is.
  13. #733  
    Quote Originally Posted by wingsofazraell View Post
    I do not think that it is.
    Dang! I really wanna go!! Have you seen that written anywhere definitively or is that just what you're thinking is the case?

    Is there a mod Who can provide an "official" confirmation?
  14. #734  
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    Dang! I really wanna go!! Have you seen that written anywhere definitively or is that just what you're thinking is the case?

    Is there a mod Who can provide an "official" confirmation?
    Nowhere is it written definitively, however invites were only sent out to journalists.

    You can e-mail press@palm.com and possibly receive an "official" confirmation.
  15. #735  
    No, it's absolutely and unequivocally only open to the press and certain other folks who've been explicitly invited.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  16. #736  
    No, it is not open. It is press only.

    However, there is a contest on twitter to win a trip to the event. Read @palm's tweets
  17.    #737  
    It is definitively NOT open to the public. The event on the 9th is an Invitation-only event. But I believe they will be webcasting.
  18. #738  
    <thread merged>
  19. #739  
    Besides, it's booked solid, no more seats.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
  20. #740  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Besides, it's booked solid, no more seats.
    I believe that's the developer event later in the day. I haven't heard anything about the press event in the morning being booked...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic

Posting Permissions