Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435363738394045 ... LastLast
    I love this anticipation! I hope it leads to something though! I would love to hear that they are rolling out the 2.x update after the 9th!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I liked V's method used in advertising against AT&T better. Be ruthless. The Island of Misfit Toys, the coverage maps, etc.

Of course a lot of advantages that Palm had in 2009 aren't as strong now. And HP really needs to have a solid product first with real strengths before worrying about marketing heavily.

Don't be vague. Target the reference phone. We all know which one that is. If you're correct and all HP wants to do is run is annoyingly lame hipster commercials, then that just hints at a lack of confidence in your product vs the competition.
    You can't call out a particular phone like a kid getting ready to fight another kid at the baseball park. V was vague for a reason. We all knew whom they were referring to. Being vague helps bc now you're competing against several competitors in Win Phone 7, Blackberry, Apple and Android.

I don't think having hipsters in your commercials show a lack of confidence in the product. I think that it shows that management is too eager to let a advertising agency tell the story in a manner that the agency thinks is cool, rather than HP management providing the story to the agency and letting the agency figure out how to present that story. And that story should focus less on the hipsters and more on what webOS & HP's go to phone does that others can't do.

But hipsters would be better than those awful Blackberry commercials.
    Last edited by playboy; 01/17/2011 at 10:30 AM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I agree with focusing on a device instead of the operating system. People have to buy into one product before you can sell them on a product line. There had to be a first Droid...first iPhone, etc.

But targeting iPhone at this point? That seems to actually suggest lack of confidence in your product moreso than anything else. I mean, have you seen those mega-lame T-Mobile MyTouch 4G commercials? Not only do they bite Apple's "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" commercials blatantly, but they show NOTHING about the MyTouch 4G except that it can make video calls to other MyTouch 4Gs away from WiFi...assuming you and the person you are talking to live in T-Mobile coverage areas with HSPA+ speeds, which is unlikely.

Ignore Apple. Focus on what makes your device cool. I kinda like those Motorola Atrix teasers they ran during football playoffs this weekend. This is the most powerful smartphone on the planet (as they show it turning into a laptop). Wanna know why? Go to Motorola.com. Done.
    Agree in part. Focusing on what makes your device and operating system cool is part of the story and can be told in later commercials. But the first commercial should focus on what your phone and operating system does that the others don't. Again be very vague. You don't have to get into specifics. Americans don't want to hear specifics nor do they need specifics in 30 seconds. You have to gain traction in the consumer's mind. Curiosity has to be generated. Bashing in a subtle way with my velvet hammer is the way that it's done.

No one cares if your phone is the most powerful unless you tell them that it's more powerful bc it does what the other phones can't. People want to feel like their phone can take on the world. That's what V understood with the first their first Droid commercials. Don't send them to a website. Let them know during your 30 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    like announing a partnership with the BIG 3 automakers to embed WEBOS in their in-dash GPS screens to provide seamless integration to all of you WEBOS devices and ecosystem. Accessing your email, apps, web, webos TV from your in dash touch screen in the car!
    I would sell my Bimmer and get an Escalade Hybrid! :-)
    That certainly wouldn't hurt things,

I doubt ford would be on board as they have done such industry leading things with that sync platform that is all voice controlled hands free stuff.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    You can't call out a particular phone like a kid getting ready to fight another kid at the baseball park. V was vague for a reason. We all knew whom they were referring to. Being vague helps bc now you're competing against several competitors in Win Phone 7, Blackberry, Apple and Android.
    V was also talking with Apple planning to release an iphone. Might that be the reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    V was also talking with Apple planning to release an iphone. Might that be the reason?
    Sure. But a deal hadn't been worked out. So they made a point without specifically calling Apple out by name. It was more about what V had instead of talking specifically about the competition. Once my competitor's name starts to come out of my mouth the more it becomes about my competitor as opposed to what I have and can do. It's lame. See recent T-Mob commercials for such lameness.
    Agree in part. Focusing on what makes your device and operating system cool is part of the story and can be told in later commercials. But the first commercial should focus on what your phone and operating system does that the others don't. Again be very vague. You don't have to get into specifics. Americans don't want to hear specifics nor do they need specifics in 30 seconds. You have to gain traction in the consumer's mind. Curiosity has to be generated. Bashing in a subtle way with my velvet hammer is the way that it's done.

No one cares if your phone is the most powerful unless you tell them that it's more powerful bc it does what the other phones can't. People want to feel like their phone can take on the world. That's what V understood with the first their first Droid commercials. Don't send them to a website. Let them know during your 30 seconds.
    I used to think focusing on what made WebOS unique was a winner, too. But looking at the feature set of WebOS as we know it as of 2.0, how would these commercials be any different than Windows Phone 7's current "My phone doesn't make me fumble through a bunch of apps, but instead just lets me get to what I want so I can get back to life instead of being 'that' guy"?

I mean, I hope that their plan isn't to convince consumers that typing everything you want to do is more efficient than tapping an icon or using voice control like Android to launch an app. Egads....

If I were HP Palm, I would be paying very close attention as to what is going right and wrong with WP7. Microsoft is essentially beta testing "relaunching a platform after dormancy with the branding of a computer gian on multiple carriers."
    If I were HP Palm, I would be paying very close attention as to what is going right and wrong with WP7. Microsoft is essentially beta testing "relaunching a platform after dormancy with the branding of a computer gian on multiple carriers."
    This is an interesting way of looking at things. Microsoft hasn't had any notable successes with their relaunch at all, with manufacturers openly calling the results so far "disappointing." I was watching the Golden Globes with some friends last night and every time the WP7 commercials came on people were making fun of them.

"Why in the hell would I get one of those on AT&T instead of an iPhone?"
    "I know, right?"
    etc.

Hopefully HP can avoid the mistakes that Microsoft has made so far. I'm really excited to see what they have been working on.
    I used to think focusing on what made WebOS unique was a winner, too. But looking at the feature set of WebOS as we know it as of 2.0, how would these commercials be any different than Windows Phone 7's current "My phone doesn't make me fumble through a bunch of apps, but instead just lets me get to what I want so I can get back to life instead of being 'that' guy"?

I mean, I hope that their plan isn't to convince consumers that typing everything you want to do is more efficient than tapping an icon or using voice control like Android to launch an app. Egads....

Yes. I hope they do pay attention to WP7 launch and the BB Torch launch; good and bad.

I don't know if they'll focus on specific features in commercials, but I hope that they don't bc everyone has features. I think that their commercials will be better than BB and WP7 just bc hipsters will be in them, which should make the commercials somewhat hip.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    Our tipster also says that the company will launch handsets (note, more than one), but he claims that what's he's seen is "nothing too amazing"
    Better not be the case, HP.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Better not be the case, HP.
    Kind of why I'm not holding my breath for the accouncement.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    Two of the smartphones which will be announced will be on par with this years offering's, no real innovation but more refined, there will be a 'retina display' on atleast one of the devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by M0dular View Post
    Two of the smartphones which will be announced will be on par with this years offering's, no real innovation but more refined, there will be a 'retina display' on atleast one of the devices.
    Source?
    Yes. I hope they do pay attention to WP7 launch and the BB Torch launch; good and bad.

I don't know if they'll focus on specific features in commercials, but I hope that they don't bc everyone has features. I think that their commercials will be better than BB and WP7 just bc hipsters will be in them, which should make the commercials somewhat hip.
    The only commercials that work are showing features in practical use.
    -See iPhone success
    -See Droid Does, which pointed out all the stuff the "iPhone Doesn't"
    - See Galaxy S, which shows media/phone convergence
    - See T-Mobile 4G vs iPhone/AT&T

The alternatives to these have been dancing monks, a creepy girl, "busy moms" and a hip lady walking through a city pointing at stuff that only she understands. All were complete failures.

To date the only effective webOS phone commercials have been Verizon's "now buy a Palm Pixi and get a second one for free".
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Source?
    He is the source. Been speaking extensively with supposed insider detail all day.

Interesting that he notes that "two of the smartphones" will be on par with this year's offerings. That implies that there are more than two phone models, and that all of the others are low end.

Also, how many different resolutions are there going to be for developers to support? Especially with WebOS games....should be interesting.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    " a programmable wireless charging dock that transforms the tablet into an alarm clock, digital photo frame, and GPS unit -- sounds like webOS 2.0 Exhibition to us. This is corroborated by a trusted source who confirmed to us that inductive charging will, in fact, be a feature of the HP / Palm tablets"

This is all kinds of awesome.... ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by M0dular View Post
    Ah, but will they run on Sprint and have keyboards?

I guess we shall find out what they have in a couple of weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    This is an interesting way of looking at things. Microsoft hasn't had any notable successes with their relaunch at all, with manufacturers openly calling the results so far "disappointing." I was watching the Golden Globes with some friends last night and every time the WP7 commercials came on people were making fun of them.

"Why in the hell would I get one of those on AT&T instead of an iPhone?"
    "I know, right?"
    etc.

Hopefully HP can avoid the mistakes that Microsoft has made so far. I'm really excited to see what they have been working on.
    Thats because its Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't really have a cool factor.

Xbox has a cool factor.

Not microsoft.

Not launching on CDMA was the biggest mistake of the WP7 launch IMO.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    He is the source. Been speaking extensively with supposed insider detail all day.

Interesting that he notes that "two of the smartphones" will be on par with this year's offerings. That implies that there are more than two phone models, and that all of the others are low end.

Also, how many different resolutions are there going to be for developers to support? Especially with WebOS games....should be interesting.
    He suggested in another thread that there will be 6 released over the year. So it could mean that its lower end...or it could mean that only two are being released now, with specs "on par" with this years offering, but the ones later on in the year will be slightly beefier. Could go either way.

I will say, its been very intriguing reading this guys messages and to see if some of the stuff he's suggested "leaks" out in the next few days/weeks