Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Let's say HP develops a system that allows WebOS based smartphones to be securely deployed in the corporate space. Said phone would, of course, tie in to HPs ecosystem that they are no doubt developing (and likely readying for deployment) as we speak.

I think your likely correct.

for February 9th the marketing dept probably wants to make a news splash with consumer oriented announcements as the focus,

but I would not be surprised at all to hear a few seemingly minor, less sexy announcements related to enterprise support and ecosystems, which in actuality comprise a not-so-minor part of there stratagem.

its easy to predict a tablet or two and a phone or two with some very nice specs and hardware,

but the real interesting stuff, the things that I believe competitors like apple, google Msft et al will be equally if not more concerned about, is the enterprise side of things, markets and services that HP isn't trying to break into, but is already there.

and those are the things I find it hard to predict
    There are four lights.
    Windzilla, I really hope you are right about webos in the healthcare field. The only rationale I've had for epocrates to pull out of webos development at such an odd time considering hp's plans, is that epocrates is trying to start their own emr system next month and it may directly conflict with hp's.

Damn a card for each patient. Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Windzilla, I really hope you are right about webos in the healthcare field. The only rationale I've had for epocrates to pull out of webos development at such an odd time considering hp's plans, is that epocrates is trying to start their own emr system next month and it may directly conflict with hp's.

Damn a card for each patient. Wow.
    yea the epocrates thing has really been an upsetting move, especially because motion apps classic supposedly won't be supported in webOS 2.0.

Personally, I hope that HP announces a renewed partnership with epocrates for the 9th that we dont see coming.

of all the predictions in this thread however, that seems one of the least likely. really really sad, because its also one of the most technically feasible, given that it already exists in some form.
    Last edited by windzilla; 01/16/2011 at 02:46 PM.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    the perfect line of devices: 2 different sizes of phones, 1 big(evo size) ,and one small (pre size),

a laptop/netbook,tablet a super powerfull tablet with (dis)atttached keyboard, and

large screens (maybe 3d)

do we need anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    the perfect line of devices: 2 different sizes of phones, 1 big(evo size) ,and one small (pre size),

a laptop/netbook,tablet a super powerfull tablet with (dis)atttached keyboard, and

large screens (maybe 3d)

do we need anything else?

yes, something nobody sees coming, but, at least eventually will desperately want.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    yes, something nobody sees coming, but, at least eventually will desperately want.
    like announing a partnership with the BIG 3 automakers to embed WEBOS in their in-dash GPS screens to provide seamless integration to all of you WEBOS devices and ecosystem. Accessing your email, apps, web, webos TV from your in dash touch screen in the car!
    I would sell my Bimmer and get an Escalade Hybrid! :-)
    DO you think HPalm will start marketing that they have devices coming before 2/9 announcement a la verizon did with driod?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    DO you think HPalm will start marketing that they have devices coming before 2/9 announcement a la verizon did with driod?
    I don't think so... I'm sure they want to surprise everyone at their event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    If you're going to do it right, you follow the method V used in advertising the Droid. They started a month before it was released and they vaguely said why the phone was different than the competitor. You build hype by subtly dissing the competition with a velvet hammer. Don't be specific, just say that webOS does what the competition doesn't. You'll get people thinking Hey, they're saying "that" phone, whatever "that" phone is without naming it, can't do X, but this webOS phone can. I wanna see it for myself. Hammer home that point.

MS didn't do that with Win Phone 7 and I don't think that HP will do that webOS bc the casting call for the first commercial(s) will have hipsters in it. I think they'll advertise the week before the phone is released and then on a regular basis after the release.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    yea the epocrates thing has really been an upsetting move, especially because motion apps classic supposedly won't be supported in webOS 2.0.

Personally, I hope that HP announces a renewed partnership with epocrates for the 9th that we dont see coming.

of all the predictions in this thread however, that seems one of the least likely. really really sad, because its also one of the most technically feasible, given that it already exists in some form.
    here here! (hear hear??) anyway, epocrates bailed and the dev liason didn't make it sound like they did because of a future deal. I think this is a great idea but probably not happening.

I'd like to be able to use my phone to view my patient record or my family members' patient records when in the hospital, like what should they be eating and what meds are they on. This is especially nice when a family member is moved from one room to another or one doctor to another or one unit to another or all of the above
    Last edited by Rkguy; 01/16/2011 at 07:12 PM.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    I'd say that once they are within 45 days of shipping actual hardware, they should advertise like it's a presidential election. And I think they should be doing super bowl ads. Several, funny, memorable.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    like announing a partnership with the BIG 3 automakers to embed WEBOS in their in-dash GPS screens to provide seamless integration to all of you WEBOS devices and ecosystem. Accessing your email, apps, web, webos TV from your in dash touch screen in the car!
    I would sell my Bimmer and get an Escalade Hybrid! :-)
    Barf! just sayin. - I'll take your used bimmr
    Honestly, i'm not confident enough to let webos run my dash. not yet, not unless it's stable as a rock
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I hope it turns out to be something great for all of you and I also hope it doesn't take 6 months after that, for it to be available for purchase.
    and that the hardware is not crap
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I really wish HP would partner Digidesign for a Protools control surface on the WEBOS Tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'd say that once they are within 45 days of shipping actual hardware, they should advertise like it's a presidential election. And I think they should be doing super bowl ads. Several, funny, memorable.
    I agree. But again they have to continually say in a purposely vague way what webOS phones do that others can't. Say it over and over again. However, I don't think HP is going that direction. They're prolly going with the MS Win Phone 7 approach with commercials that have hipsters in them that don't really do anything except get your brand out there to masses, which is better than before but not enough.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    What HP should do is point out how outdated all phones except the WebOS based devices feel compared to the Pre, and Pixi(with the Plus and 2 versions included). Who needs a dedicated home button when you have the gesture area, and why take up screen space for controls when a gesture area can do all of those things. How about switching between apps without the feeling that you have to re-load apps that were just open before you opened the one on the screen?

Just point out how well WebOS lets you do ANYTHING, and don't lock it down to any one device. When new devices come out, people will know what the CURRENT phones can do, so the next generation will simply include better hardware.

I always feel like the iPhone has a clunky UI, and Android, while it has potential, has gotten very fragmented. Blackberry can't figure out how to make a consistent API, so apps need to be coded and will only work on some Blackberry devices without extra programming effort. HP/Palm can use all of this as ammo for an advertising blitz, and unlike most advertising campaigns, it wouldn't even consist of lies or half truths.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    If you're going to do it right, you follow the method V used in advertising the Droid. They started a month before it was released and they vaguely said why the phone was different than the competitor. You build hype by subtly dissing the competition with a velvet hammer. Don't be specific, just say that webOS does what the competition doesn't. You'll get people thinking Hey, they're saying "that" phone, whatever "that" phone is without naming it, can't do X, but this webOS phone can. I wanna see it for myself. Hammer home that point.

MS didn't do that with Win Phone 7 and I don't think that HP will do that webOS bc the casting call for the first commercial(s) will have hipsters in it. I think they'll advertise the week before the phone is released and then on a regular basis after the release.
    I don't think I agree. Doing things like that now only hurts your position for the 2/9 event. Saying things like that now give all the competition an opportunity to respond before any products actually come out. And I can't see Verizon not try to push back now that it has the Iphone. I think its better to not say anything now. Show off your products on 2/9 and have them launch shortly thereafter, and then do that sort of marketing. That way by the time the competition can respond, you should have product on the market already. And once the product is on the market, and its good the response really won't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    If you're going to do it right, you follow the method V used in advertising the Droid. .
    I liked V's method used in advertising against AT&T better. Be ruthless. The Island of Misfit Toys, the coverage maps, etc.

Of course a lot of advantages that Palm had in 2009 aren't as strong now. And HP really needs to have a solid product first with real strengths before worrying about marketing heavily.

Don't be vague. Target the reference phone. We all know which one that is. If you're correct and all HP wants to do is run is annoyingly lame hipster commercials, then that just hints at a lack of confidence in your product vs the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I liked V's method used in advertising against AT&T better. Be ruthless. The Island of Misfit Toys, the coverage maps, etc.

Of course a lot of advantages that Palm had in 2009 aren't as strong now. And HP really needs to have a solid product first with real strengths before worrying about marketing heavily.

Don't be vague. Target the reference phone. We all know which one that is. If you're correct and all HP wants to do is run is annoyingly lame hipster commercials, then that just hints at a lack of confidence in your product vs the competition.
    I agree with focusing on a device instead of the operating system. People have to buy into one product before you can sell them on a product line. There had to be a first Droid...first iPhone, etc.

But targeting iPhone at this point? That seems to actually suggest lack of confidence in your product moreso than anything else. I mean, have you seen those mega-lame T-Mobile MyTouch 4G commercials? Not only do they bite Apple's "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" commercials blatantly, but they show NOTHING about the MyTouch 4G except that it can make video calls to other MyTouch 4Gs away from WiFi...assuming you and the person you are talking to live in T-Mobile coverage areas with HSPA+ speeds, which is unlikely.

Ignore Apple. Focus on what makes your device cool. I kinda like those Motorola Atrix teasers they ran during football playoffs this weekend. This is the most powerful smartphone on the planet (as they show it turning into a laptop). Wanna know why? Go to Motorola.com. Done.
    A little hype?

The Feb. 9 HP announcement was talked about on GMA Tech spot this morning.

No new news, just nice to see it popping up now and then.