Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Google all ready does a lot of what Apple started. If someone switched from iOS to Android, they would have to switch to Google products. And what exactly do you want HP to do? Not use the cloud, not create services that everyone is going to? Stand on their hands while everyone passes them by? The big thing these days is stacking your products, make it if you buy a Playbook you'd want a blackberry for your phone. If you buy a windows phone 7, you'd want windows 7 instead of a Mac. If you have iOS, you'd want mobileme, Mac, iTV, iPad for all your needs. If you buy a WebOS phone, why should HP want you to use iOS, Google TV, the Playbook? And if they can go into the cloud -- which they are at least moving into that direction -- then they will make a lot of money and be successful.
    Paragraphs, my friend, paragraphs.

I agree with the above. But that's my point. This stuff already exists on other platforms. HP, if they present some sort of wOS alternative, will only be playing catch-up. There is nothing "game-changing" about a me-too effort. If HP can go further and do more, easier, better, cheaper, bring it on. But simply copying TV and MobileMe doesn't gain either marketshare, or respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

I agree with the above. But that's my point. This stuff already exists on other platforms. HP, if they present some sort of wOS alternative, will only be playing catch-up. There is nothing "game-changing" about a me-too effort. If HP can go further and do more, easier, better, cheaper, bring it on. But simply copying TV and MobileMe doesn't gain either marketshare, or respect.
    I can respect that. On Feb 9th, we'll see what happens. And sorry, I kinda went back and edited that post. Forgot to mention something.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The problem you are describing with all these services is that there is no OS that is designed to use those services invisibly. WebOS is well on the way.
    I believe this is also the goal of Google's Chrome OS.
    Do you guys think whatever they reveal Smartphone-wise will be comparable to the Moto Atrix? That thing looks really cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it was relational before, too. Just stored in a single file. Apparently not in a single .db3 file now
    It was a question to prove a point. It cannot be done the way he is talking about. A client would have to be created for Dropbox that would track the data in WebOS's relational database(s) and save it to a flat file, then sync back and forth.

Or, drop box would have to modify they way they update their data.

That's the problem when people say "it's this simple", when they really haven't looked at the guts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

By that "standard", then certainly Apple introduced nothing new when they intoduced the iPhone. Everything they presented was presented before.

Sorry, this is a circular argument, made worse by the fact that the "standards" are a moving target. Then the added problem is that people are speaking as if they are experts on particular topics, when they aren't.

I suggest some folks revisit this after the announcements.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I believe this is also the goal of Google's Chrome OS.
    Yep, but Google's Chrome, as an OS, is an OS looking for a home. As long as Google doesn't make hardware, the best they can do is try to create an OS that hardware mfg's will want. That worked (so far) for phones. Not so much for PCs.
    It was a question to prove a point. It cannot be done the way he is talking about. A client would have to be created for Dropbox that would track the data in WebOS's relational database(s) and save it to a flat file, then sync back and forth.

Or, drop box would have to modify they way they update their data.

That's the problem when people say "it's this simple", when they really haven't looked at the guts.
    Can an app (or group of apps) have it's own tablespace that's stored in a separate file? If so, that could still work with Dropbox or other cloud storage/sync vendors. Once a file has been updated, many of these systems check to see what blocks/pages of a file have changed and then only send the ones that have changed since the last sync. A better option would be to include a SyncML client and/or whatever various distributed database vendors use to distribute table changes.
    I just wanted to say, to all you who believe that the streaming of music via your computer, or being able to sync your music over the air, is ten years down the road -- well, it's more like last year. Here ya go. Google adding over-the-air app installation and iTunes streaming to Android -- Engadget

I mean, thats so last year .

Read my older posts to see what I am talking about. I mentioned, for those who don't want to, Google making it where all your music on your PC/Mac can also be on your phone. And I believe someone said, if I remember correctly, that this type of stuff is 20 years into the future and that the data costs would go up. Well, thanks to my friends (you know who you are!) Sprint all ready gives us low cost data to do this type of stuff. If your carrier doesn't, maybe you should switch to a future proof carrier like Sprint .
    I just wanted to say, to all you who believe that the streaming of music via your computer, or being able to sync your music over the air, is ten years down the road -- well, it's more like last year. Here ya go. Google adding over-the-air app installation and iTunes streaming to Android -- Engadget

Read my older posts to see what I am talking about. I mentioned, for those who don't want to, Google making it where all your music on your PC/Mac can also be on your phone. And I believe someone said, if I remember correctly, that this type of stuff is 20 years into the future and that the data costs would go up. Well, thanks to my friends (you know who you are!) Sprint all ready gives us low cost data to do this type of stuff. If your carrier doesn't, maybe you should switch to a future proof carrier like Sprint .
    Yeah, been doing that with my xbox... And directv receiver... Yeah it's "old".

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I saw this article and the author is pretty adamant that HP is going to release a Palm Pixi 2 along with the tablet. Interesting...

http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/board/8...y-9-event.html

The whole notion that the bandwidth needed for these type of services isn't widely in use, therefore there is no demand for product that support them is pure nonsense.

I just recently bought a blue-ray DVD player (yeah, I waited until the final "normal" DVD player broke down before I ended up buying). Even the low end units we looked at had, built in to the player, HD streaming video clients. Not one or two, but several.

For those users that don't have a network connect, obviously those are of no use. However, bandwidth is definitely in use enough that the mfgs of these devices are providing clients on the DVD players.

So yeah, maybe the notion that this is all "down the road" is only really held by people with devices that are popular, but not really all that innovative...

Oh, and restricted to metered data connections.

Can you hear me now?
    Hopefully they will call it something other than Pix2
    +1
    <<thread merged>>
    The whole notion that the bandwidth needed for these type of services isn't widely in use, therefore there is no demand for product that support them is pure nonsense.

I just recently bought a blue-ray DVD player (yeah, I waited until the final "normal" DVD player broke down before I ended up buying). Even the low end units we looked at had, built in to the player, HD streaming video clients. Not one or two, but several.

For those users that don't have a network connect, obviously those are of no use. However, bandwidth is definitely in use enough that the mfgs of these devices are providing clients on the DVD players.

So yeah, maybe the notion that this is all "down the road" is only really held by people with devices that are popular, but not really all that innovative...

Can you hear me now?
    Yep I sure can!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    <<thread merged>>
    I often find these "thread merged" notes in threads I've been following. But there's never any information about what other threads might have been merged. So now I feel like maybe I ought to go back and re-read the whole thread. Of course, the thread is long, so I won't do that. But I find it vaguely frustrating. No other bulletin board I frequent does this (or at least, not often.)

what do others do after a thread has been merged?
    Well, thanks to my friends (you know who you are!) Sprint all ready gives us low cost data to do this type of stuff. If your carrier doesn't, maybe you should switch to a future proof carrier like Sprint .
    Don't delude yourself - everything has a limit. Just ask CEO Hess.

Can you hear me now?
    Myopic!

The reason companies like AT&T and Verizon have metered data plans is because they have phones people actually use heavily for data. The reason Palm devices get more favorable terms is because no one wants to buy them, and providers have to throw in a lot of extras to move even a few units. Sprint and T-mobile would love to get more users, and so, offer "cheap" as a selling point.

Let's see how things look if HP produces a product the masses actually want to buy and use heavily on the nation's largest carriers. As phones start rivaling traditional PCs for internet access, all data plans will be metered. Palm users are just not significant enough for carriers to bother.

And no, mobile bandwidth is not close to being sufficient for all of your data to be accessed primarily from the cloud. It will be years before networks roll out a proper implementation of 4G nationwide. Pricing is also still out of reach for the average person.

As for me, personally, I have unlimited data on my devices. But I know that all of that can change any time, especially when FaceTime hits 3G, and mobile devices become proper TVs. So, while it is a nice idea to have everything in the cloud for access by any mobile device, the reality is that for the foreseeable future, you will be paying your carrier a nickel everytime you view your cloud-based photos and listen to your cloud-based music.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I often find these "thread merged" notes in threads I've been following. But there's never any information about what other threads might have been merged. So now I feel like maybe I ought to go back and re-read the whole thread. Of course, the thread is long, so I won't do that. But I find it vaguely frustrating. No other bulletin board I frequent does this (or at least, not often.)

what do others do after a thread has been merged?

I address this by looking for a thread that has a title in it different from the one the seen in the main thread title.

in this case it a few posts up from the threads merged notice is the post titled "palm pixi 2?" by GMTesta

a titled post preceding a threads merged post is usually where the new thread was integrated, although it requires a little work on your end, and rarely, can be misleading, as any post can be given a unique title by a poster. however if you use a little intuition, you can usually figure it out.

perhaps there is an easier way i am not aware of.
    There are four lights.