Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Hey Guys remember this teaser, Do you think that is a 7" tablet, 10" or somewhere in between, I hope its right in between at 8 or 9 inces.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Looks like I'm going to the Feb 9 event: http://cl.ly/40uP/Screen_shot_2011-0...4.04.55_PM.png
    Wish i was local, I'd go as well.

I expect a full report of whatever you are allowed to disclose!

you have a critical eye (take it in both ways) when it comes to mobile devices and palm, at least on these forums, I would value your views very much.
    There are four lights.
    @barkerja I'll see you there, too bad this is not the morning event
    @barkerja That is not the morning HP event. It's the evening HP Palm Developers' event.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    @barkerja That is not the morning HP event. It's the evening HP Palm Developers' event.
    Yep. The morning event is press only.
    So HP will be announcing new hardware. What do you think the timeframe is for it to be available for purchase? I have not seen any FCC reports of new HP hardware in their system so I am doubtful that it will be anywhere near immediately. The Verizon iPhone got announced over a month before it will be sold. Do you think, Feb., March, summer for these HP devices??? Hopefully they get the phones out immediately. I can understand a wait for the tablet since developers may need some prep time.
    What I believe HP/Palm will offer is a combination strategy. For those who want to store everything in the cloud, on HP's servers, you can sign up to do that. For those who want to use the cloud as a conduit, I believe they will do that too. Basically, they'll offer a simple Palm profile based VPN. All the IT guy has to do is setup the content storage that is available, and set each person's rights using that profile, and now you have instant connection to all the corporate documents that you have rights to, and from anywhere in the world via your phone, netbook, or laptop. You'll be able to live edit the actual document on the servers, with no need to synch except for when the connection is lost.

In other words, no more setting up VPN clients and going through all of that hassle, just sign in and you have access. Those companies willing to store their stuff on HP's servers would have automated back-up's available, and would also have a local cache service available for those times the internet was down.

This is a big vision, and I can see why some people get confused. Just think of the above mentioned Apple TV experience, and imagine that for any content from any webOS powered device. Again...seamless.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Obviously, I need broadband to stream Netflix and Hulu+. But I'm not ready to place my documents, music, movies, and photos on HP's server as the main way I access them. There will always be a problem with latency. And the cost of the mobile data usage would be too high. Do you really want the meter running every time you want to listen to some music on the bus? Me either.
    Thats fine. If you don't want that, don't use it. My post(s) do mention actual memory on each device. Just like I choose not to use the iTV, you can choose not to use the cloud.

Here is the scenario I think you are describing. I am working on a document on my laptop, in my office. Without syncing that work to anything, I pull out my phone and make a few edits on the way home. I get home, and again without any syncing, I continue working on that same document from my home computer.

If that is what you are describing, that is twenty years in the future. Otherwise, HP will just be reinventing the solutions we already have. Instead of Dropbox, you will have to sign up for an HP equivalent. Instead of TV, you will have to buy an HPTV. AirPlay becomes HPlay. AirPrint becomes HPrint. iTunes becomes the Synergy desktop client. MobileMe becomes Synergy Cloud Services. That's great for wOS users, but from the perspective of a tech watcher, it's not very interesting. I guess we will have to wait and see.
    Well, like hparsons explained, the cloud would be an extension of your device. It'ss very possible. It's really not that different then using the Dropbox. In fact, its the exact same thing but built into a mobile os. I don't sync my work with me drop box. Meaning, i don't sync it onto my harddrive, then edit, then re sync. What I do is edit on the dropbox. Thats possible. I do it now.

I am actually not a wOS user, and I am a tech watcher, and this is very interesting to me. Yes, I realize there are services similar to this. The problem is no one brings them together. And you fail to realize Google does this. I showed you what Google is working on. Apple, who bought lala, didn't just buy them for no apparent reason. Apple is planning to do something with them. Google all ready does a lot of what Apple started. If someone switched from iOS to Android, they would have to switch to Google products. And what exactly do you want HP to do? Not use the cloud, not create services that everyone is going to? Stand on their hands while everyone passes them by? The big thing these days is stacking your products, make it if you buy a Playbook you'd want a blackberry for your phone. If you buy a windows phone 7, you'd want windows 7 instead of a Mac. If you have iOS, you'd want mobileme, Mac, iTV, iPad for all your needs. If you buy a WebOS phone, why should HP want you to use iOS, Google TV, the Playbook? And if they can go into the cloud -- which they are at least moving into that direction -- then they will make a lot of money and be successful. Apple, in my opinion, is the closest competitor to HP in terms of innovation. Because Apple is not only moving in the same direction, but I believe they will get there around the same time as HP.

Anyway, it's really not that important. On the 9th of Feb, your mind will be blown, or it wont. I will finally know if I will be buying a HP tablet or the Playbook. And thats really what I am waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    As far as data usage, many of us don't care. We aren't metered.

Is that another one of those pesky problems for iPhone users?
    Hahahaha. I love it.
    Last edited by astraith; 01/13/2011 at 09:15 PM.
    We know with almost certainty that there will be a tablet introduced and probably a phone or two. Those are things that we are expecting and have been talking about. Pricing and time release numbers could wow us but not shock. There a lot of rumor and speculation threads but I'm talking about something that nobody has even thought of. How will HP surprise even the old Palm followers at this event?

The 3 categories that I think would qualify for a shock would be:

1. Hardware - e.g. a device/accessory that we weren't expecting or crazy specs
    2. Software - e.g. a partnership with a big vendor or HP app
    3. Service Feature - e.g. a cloud/synergy feature
    A webOS toilet would be nice as long as it doesn't get "Too Many Turds" error
  11.    #611  
    <<merged>>
    As far as data usage, many of us don't care. We aren't metered.

Is that another one of those pesky problems for iPhone users?
    I don't know of a data plan (mobile or not) that isn't metered these days, example:

Comcast: 200GB
    Cox: 250GB
    TW RoadRunner: 5-100GB
    Sprint: 5GB
    Verizon: 5GB
    T-Mobile: 5GB
    AT&T: 2GB

So, as you can see, there really isn't a truly unlimited data plan, unless you were grandfathered in (which is considered null if/when you update your plan/device).
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I don't know of a data plan (mobile or not) that isn't metered these days, example:

So, as you can see, there really isn't a truly unlimited data plan, unless you were grandfathered in (which is considered null if/when you update your plan/device).
    I think sprint is unlimited, but only for 4G. 3G is 5GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    I think sprint is unlimited, but only for 4G. 3G is 5GB.
    The cap only applies to mobile hot spot and stuff, not to phones.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    soooo anyone thinking about the 9th?

cause I think the dev invite means HP has lots more than a tablet instore.

Sorry sir, but you are incorrect.

The 5 gb limit on Sprint is for the wireless card you attach to a PC (if you have a Everything Data plan). I exceed 5gb almost every month.
    If the contact file is setup to by sync'ed with Dropbox, yep. Dropbox can sync practically anything across infinite amount of computers.
    Step me through the process of setting up Dropbox on a pre, to update like you're stating.

Keep in mind, on the Pre, the data is not a flat file, it's a relational database.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Sorry sir, but you are incorrect.

The 5 gb limit on Sprint is for the wireless card you attach to a PC (if you have a Everything Data plan). I exceed 5gb almost every month.
    Me too...Im WAY past 5 gb every month (am I mean WAYYYYYY.....
    Motorola Atrix will be available March 1st. Do you think that after 2/9 HPalm's phones and tablets will be available before then?
    Step me through the process of setting up Dropbox on a pre, to update like you're stating.

Keep in mind, on the Pre, the data is not a flat file, it's a relational database.
    it was relational before, too. Just stored in a single file. Apparently not in a single .db3 file now