Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Interesting. What options that WebOS gives you that you cannot get elsewhere are you referring to?
    synergy through my social networks including linkedin. The fact that all my contacts are active is great when trying to fax email or connect to a business contact using one list that I don't have to update.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    You pretty much explained what I am getting at. If I want to access my information through webOS because I personally enjoy the usability of the OS, then I buy “ONE” webOS device continue to use the one I have now.

I am also not talking about competing for cloud "services” I am merely suggesting accessing it in a format I feel most comfortable using. I can access information stored in the cloud on my MAC, PC or Android Phone. But I would rather access it from a webOS device using my Palm Profile where I have options the OS gives me that might not be available otherwise. This is where Synergy for webOS can really be a benefit. The key will be the implementation of webOS on multiple HP devices.
    Are you saying that WebOS will allow you to access all those things from the operating system itself without installing an app (dropbox etc)?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Are you saying that WebOS will allow you to access all those things from the operating system itself without installing an app (dropbox etc)?
    I hope that's the case. All information from your palm profile is acessed through HP devices allowing you to use that information as if you were on you pre but on a printer or fax.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    I am not suggesting Mobileme, Dropbox or other similar services. I am thinking more of accessing information from the cloud through a uniform webOS format. You would be able to use webOS functionality to access your information through your Palm profile. The support of webOS devs and the homebrew community keep the platform growing and expanding while patrons of the platform continue to enjoy its benefits and usability.

This is not about competing with iOS or Android. It's about expanding webOS into enterprise ventures and personal use through products and services that already exists by HP. Money can still be made without competing directly with Apple Android or Windows. You don’t have to give consumer better options, just different ones that fit their needs.
    What does that even mean? Whenever someone tries to explain HP's corporate vision for wOS, (something that HP hasn't done), it always bogs down in CEO speak, corporate gibberish. I have had enough buzzword salad to last a lifetime. Break it down for average people, you know, the people who are supposed to buy into it. What game-changing idea do you think HP is about to unleash? Give me an everyday example of why I should be excited, anyone.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    What does that even mean? Whenever someone tries to explain HP's corporate vision for wOS, (something that HP hasn't done), it always bogs down in CEO speak, corporate gibberish. I have had enough buzzword salad to last a lifetime. Break it down for average people, you know, the people who are supposed to buy into it. What game-changing idea do you think HP is about to unleash? Give me an everyday example of why I should be excited, anyone.
    if you had enough buzzword salad, you would be out of this forum. so you want to hear more,and more, and more.
    the atrix concept without a dock makes you excited? the fact that you start working on one project in your office and you finish at home? the same with a movie? printing something on your office while you are in the car? you think you can come up with at least another 5 or 6 new ideas? c'mon you can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    if you had enough buzzword salad, you would be out of this forum. so you want to hear more,and more, and more.
    the atrix concept without a dock makes you excited? the fact that you start working on one project in your office and you finish at home? the same with a movie? printing something on your office while you are in the car? you think you can come up with at least another 5 or 6 new ideas? c'mon you can do it!
    I guess the difference is while people invent methods and dream up infrastructure to do those things with HP devices, Dan is actually doing them with his phone and tablet.
    will the new hp superphone and tablet that will be announced feb 9th be using a texas instruments chip? or nvidia?

is a txn a good buy at today's prices ($33)?
    the atrix concept without a dock makes you excited? the fact that you start working on one project in your office and you finish at home?
    Dropbox.

the same with a movie?
    Netflix. iDevice with AirPlay. Take your pick.

printing something on your office while you are in the car?
    AirPrint. Heck, ePrint over email will do it too.

you think you can come up with at least another 5 or 6 new ideas? c'mon you can do it!
    I'll settle for one game-changing idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I disagree completely (big surprise, huh?)

The facts do not bear out your claims. No, HP does not have a ton of consumer related items that have been revolutionary, but they do have some. The LaserJet line of printers no doubt changed the availability of laser printers both to businesses and consumers, and the HP claculator's were a "tool of preference" for every serious tech geek in the 70's.

Keep in mind that only one contrary example disproves an all inclusive statement like "HP has never innovated or led the market into a new era of products and services".

Further, the notion that "Neither (HP nor Palm) have produced anything competitive in the market into which they are pouring resources" is laughable. We're talking about the smartphone market (in part), which Palm pioneered, and the printing market (in part) which HP pioneered.

Finally, if the "recent attempts" proved or disproved anything, the Microsoft should give up, since the Kin wasn't exactly a resounding success.

It should be noted, Apple has had it's share of failures as well.

So yes, if you want to concentrate on the resources and success of one company, and ignore them for another, you will come to the conclusion you have.

That though, is hardly an unbiased view. The person to whom you were responding was making a fair statement; and though a response can be skewed negatively with facts, that doesn't mean the response isn't being skewed.

Yes, HP had a slate device almost ready to be released. Then they bought a company that held promise with a different OS. Should it surprise anyone that they would choose another path?

Yes, Palm had an step up version of the Pre almost ready to be released. Then they were bought out by a bigger company that had a much broader vision of what can be done, and resources to carry it out. Should it surprise anyone that they would choose another path?

Further, should it surprise anyone that such a merger, then a change in focus should take a few weeks? Keep in mind, Android is (arguably) the new hot smartphone OS, and they took what, 5 years after their buyout to get things heated up.

Yeah, you're going to see major things coming from HP. No, pretending it can't/won't happen won't change that.
    All I can say is amen brother, amen!
    The point is not that these services do not exist. The point is that HP Palm will be able to bring all of these services, and more, together into a seamlessly integrated and polished experience.

That is the logical extension of the synergy system. It's not about having dropbox to sync the stuff I've been working on, it's about being able to open documents that are on my phone from my computer. It's not about having Netflix remember where I was in my movie so that when I load it up on my TV it resumes from where I was, it's about having my phone automatically know how to connect to my TV so that as I can bring content up on the TV from my phone, fluidly.

True, it's unlikely that this type of system is going to be announced on the 9th, but I feel like HP and Palm are incredibly well equipped to bring this kind of experience to fruition. They may be behind right now, but Palm was failing due to low resources, and HP needed a completely different mobile strategy. Together they have the resources, experience, and engineering talent to push the envelope when it comes to mobile experience. Don't discount them yet.
    Agree
    Has Sprint invited PreCentral to their 2/7 event?
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    The point is not that these services do not exist. The point is that HP Palm will be able to bring all of these services, and more, together into a seamlessly integrated and polished experience.
    That is meaningless, corporate gibberish. What does that mean?

That is the logical extension of the synergy system. It's not about having dropbox to sync the stuff I've been working on, it's about being able to open documents that are on my phone from my computer.
    You talk about extending Synergy, but say it is not about syncing. The Atrix uses a series of docs to pull off its trick. There is no automatic way to start work on one device and continue it on another without syncing. Dropbox does this very well. I assume it is available for wOS users now. I'm not sure I understand how you expect devices to pass a document while remembering changes without docking or syncing. Tell me more.

It's not about having Netflix remember where I was in my movie so that when I load it up on my TV it resumes from where I was, it's about having my phone automatically know how to connect to my TV so that as I can bring content up on the TV from my phone, fluidly.
    You completely lost me. If I start a Netflix movie on my iPhone or iPad on the commute home, I can finish that movie via my TV right where I left off. I'm not sure what else I could ask of Netflix. My phone and pad can already toss content to my TV, or act as a remote to do the same from my computer. It's pretty fluid. I'm not sure what you are wanting HP to do other than add DLNA support, or some such. Tell me more.

True, it's unlikely that this type of system is going to be announced on the 9th, but I feel like HP and Palm are incredibly well equipped to bring this kind of experience to fruition.
    What have either of these companies done lately that gives you such confidence? Tell me more.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post

That is the logical extension of the synergy system. It's not about having dropbox to sync the stuff I've been working on, it's about being able to open documents that are on my phone from my computer. It's not about having Netflix remember where I was in my movie so that when I load it up on my TV it resumes from where I was, it's about having my phone automatically know how to connect to my TV so that as I can bring content up on the TV from my phone, fluidly.

True, it's unlikely that this type of system is going to be announced on the 9th, but I feel like HP and Palm are incredibly well equipped to bring this kind of experience to fruition. They may be behind right now, but Palm was failing due to low resources, and HP needed a completely different mobile strategy. Together they have the resources, experience, and engineering talent to push the envelope when it comes to mobile experience. Don't discount them yet.
    Could't have said it better!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Has Sprint invited PreCentral to their 2/7 event?
    Do you honestly believe their 2/7 event is related to webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    no but would like to find some pattern as to who gets invited... like let say every andriod blog would mean andriod launch, or if macrumors is going to be there for iphone launch etc
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Dropbox.

Netflix. iDevice with AirPlay. Take your pick.

AirPrint. Heck, ePrint over email will do it too.

I'll settle for one game-changing idea.
    dropbox is a new app? how well and fast does it work?
    webos is not going to need any extra apps. do you need to save your file? webos is going to do it automatically and open in another device at the same spot that you left it. are you able to pause a movie in your phone, and continue watching were you left in your house tv? what about if you dont want netflix? you have a homevideo you recorded from your family.
    are you able to do that with the airplay from laptop to phone,etc, even if you are not in the same house/room?
    many of the iphone ,android, and webos features you were able to do them before too. with palmos you had internet,email.also with blackberry.you also had a camera,etc,etc,etc. but the new smartphones experience is complete different. the same way you cant compare the very old smartphones to the new ones, you will not be able to compare the current devices to the new hp ones
    what about watching a current episode of your favorite show at the same time,together with your friends/relative in england? and while you are watching the tv, in the top right corner of the screen you are looking at him?
    in another corner you are chatting through facebook to someone else?
    and you control all of that (and more) with your phone?
    or while at the office you choose together with your wife(while she is at home) a good restaurant looking both at the same time the same screen with all your choices? and all of that in a simple way
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I'm really surprised how people here assume, fantasize about or simply know what to expect from HP. The scenario shloime tells is very tempting, but how much of it is his own "wishful thinking"and how much of it will be real (soon)?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    I'm really surprised how people here assume, fantasize about or simply know what to expect from HP. The scenario shloime tells is very tempting, but how much of it is his own "wishful thinking"and how much of it will be real (soon)?
    we are all thinking (based on current info) what might happen. in every aspect of our lives, we have to be always optimistic. think good, and it will be good.
    look what happens here: before my "wishfull thinking", we get super negative comments, more,and more,and more,almost non stop.and after all the" wishful thinking", you say that it will not be real. that means that whatever we say, does not matter how true, nice,etc ,we keep getting the negative comments
    every statement that is 100% negative, is a false statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

I honestly believe it could impact the announcement on the 9th in a way that has been pre-planned with HP

pun intended.

I also believe it is more likely to be related to the announcement on the 9th than it is a launch of the iphone4 on sprint, given that gizmodo is invited (they were not invited to any apple events, including verizons, since the socially lubricated engineer leaves iphone in a bar debacle)

I think a possibility exists that the 7th could impact HP and other smartphone makers in general, and that the timing was discussed with HP and the two events are timed with purpose. Morever it is possible that whatever HP announces on the 9th might take advantage of what sprint announces on the 7th.

perhaps something unique will come from that, like devices with shared plans (one plan/phone number for a tablet and a phone for example) sprint has talked about plans going that way in the past, and that would certainly be exciting if HP palm came out with several products to take advantage of that on the 9th.

not necessarily likely, but still exciting as a possibility
    There are four lights.