Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    There will be phones on the ninth.... that is a fact.
    Not trying to say there won't be, but is it really a fact?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    This thread is about the HP announcement, and it's been put in serious jeopardy by what Apple did today.
    I think a lot more then just this thread has been put in serious jeopardy.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Not trying to say there won't be, but is it really a fact?
    I do know there will be phone or phones. How I know is irrelevent.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 01/11/2011 at 12:32 PM.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

I hope they make a pixi style phone with more horsepower and better hardware. I love the form factor. Maybe a higher res screen...
    Quote Originally Posted by 22350 View Post
    Let me tell you guys. Get ready for waiting until Feb and then getting no news on a new phone. This event is going to be tablets only.

They are releasing the pre 2 on Verizon, so you know we are going to be stuck on this hardware, until the operating system becomes irrelevant.

Just some happy thoughts.
    I agree, the Feb 9th event will not include a phone announcement except for maybe the the Pre2 on Verizon. It is going be all about the WebOS tablet.

In todays environment, a new or relative new phone OS cannot making without a large app catalog or hook.

Apple was first out of the gate, so they did not need a large app catalog; there hook was there name and ecosystem.

Microsoft could have beat Apple if they could have released there new OS sooner. They still can be in the top 4 mainly because they are Microsoft.

RIM is still in the game because of there business focus and they are hoping that the Playbook will keep them in the top 4. I believe it will not; I will explain later.

Google is doing what Microsoft and RIM could not. They are beating Apple. They started with just one real good app - gMail, and an open platform. They also had a good hardware partner - HTC. When they partnered with Verizon Android took off, getting an app catalog almost as big as Apple's.

Palm could have done the same thing as Google did. They had a new and unique UI, but they tossed there major selling point and strength down the drain when they targeted the iPhone customers - there strong PIM apps; and there business and healthcare customers. The quality of the hardware was real bad.

I believe that HP is going to re-introduce WebOS using the WebOS tablet. The main reason is that a tablet does not need a large app catalog to succeed like a phone does in today's market. A tablet need sold productivity apps and HP can help Palm regain there position in this area.

The WebOS tablet will be compared with and viewed as coping the Playbook. But I believe that it will be better than and beat the Playbook. Not because the WebOS ui will be viewed as the original but the business level PIM apps will not require a Blackberry account even when the Playbook is on carrier networks.

A well received and solid WebOS tablet can bring back Palm's business and healthcare customers; and developers, making WebOS one of the top 4 for phones and tablets.
    There will be phone(s) announced on the 9th
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    You always like to compare Apples to Lemmings....

It's nye impossible to make a comparison at this juncture. HP is basically starting over. Your arguement begins to hold water next year at a similar HP event. Like I said, the iPhone is not in danger, but I contend that niether are the yet to be announced WebOs devices.
    No, you can compare quite easily. And because of all of the buildup to today's announcement, the tech blog and mainstream media coverage on Feb. 10 is going to be laden with pictures of people in lines at Verizon stores and reports of day one and such. It effectively wipes whatever HP announces off the map until MWC starts, and then the whole industry will be announcing handsets, including the Samsung Galaxy 2 and perhaps the Evo 2. Maybe even the HTC Scribe tablet.

Of course, there is speculation here that Feb. 9 will focus on tablets moreso than anything else. Maybe if they're ready to ship in weeks while everyone else is waiting for a final build of Gingerbread, that will work out for the best. But the amount air left in the room for a smartphone to make any sort of impact on Feb. 9 has been significantly reduced by today's announcement.

That's why I advocated heavy leaking from HP. Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    No, you can compare quite easily. And because of all of the buildup to today's announcement, the tech blog and mainstream media coverage on Feb. 10 is going to be laden with pictures of people in lines at Verizon stores and reports of day one and such. It effectively wipes whatever HP announces off the map until MWC starts, and then the whole industry will be announcing handsets, including the Samsung Galaxy 2 and perhaps the Evo 2. Maybe even the HTC Scribe tablet.

Of course, there is speculation here that Feb. 9 will focus on tablets moreso than anything else. Maybe if they're ready to ship in weeks while everyone else is waiting for a final build of Gingerbread, that will work out for the best. But the amount air left in the room for a smartphone to make any sort of impact on Feb. 9 has been significantly reduced by today's announcement.

That's why I advocated heavy leaking from HP. Just my opinion.
    I'm not so sure there are going to be lines. Here in Spain didn't happened so much (and it was a simultaneous launch on all the three major carriers). I think the guys who want an iPhone 4 so much to do lines were in line for AT&T's launch.

It will perform well? Sure, but no lines.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    I'm not so sure there are going to be lines. Here in Spain didn't happened so much (and it was a simultaneous launch on all the three major carriers). I think the guys who want an iPhone 4 so much to do lines were in line for AT&T's launch.

It will perform well? Sure, but no lines.
    What was the last (US) Apple phone or tablet product launch to have no lines whatsoever? Keep in mind the iPad being sold on Verizon was no different than Apple adding a retail channel for the exact same product that had been on sale for awhile. The iPhone on Verizon is putting the most popular smartphone on the planet at the reach of 93 million customers for whom it had previously been unavailable.
    The iPhone being on Verizon will probably impact Android more than anyone, and it will pull in a chunk of feature phone users, as well as ticked off AT&T users who want an iPhone on a better network. But it isn't the end-all be-all of phones. WebOS is very much capable of going up against iOS. If they deliver a webOS 2 experience with the voice and camera apps that are currently missing, and bring some heavy hitters like a Kindle app and the others mentioned ad nauseum, then it will do just fine so long as the hardware kicks ****. Personally, I think the hardware is the biggest key as I think HP has some really amazing stuff coming down the software pipe.

Personally, I have ZERO interest in the iPhone. The iPhone experience sucks for a power user like me. The fact that you see people jumping between BB, iOS, and Android should tell you something. It's screaming out that nobody is truly satisfied with the overall experience they are getting. HP/Palm can come out and show the world a seamless, interconnected experience like no other, combined with stellar hardware (phones and tablets) and new software apps. If they do, as I expect they will, then there will be a lot of press, as reporting on lines for the iPhone gets a little old. Who cares? It's on Verizon now, so if you want it, get it. End of story. Nothing new about the phone, after all. And that's the key for HP/Palm...deliver something that is truly innovative and moves the market forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    WebOS is very much capable of going up against iOS.
    As I recall, people were saying this right up until the time the Pre actually did go up against the iPhone on AT&T. They mostly stopped saying it after that. I'm surprised to see you trying that approach after so much disconfirmation of the idea. I suppose now the difference is you are comparing a seven month old product to a not yet invented product.

If they deliver a webOS 2 experience with the voice and camera apps that are currently missing, and bring some heavy hitters like a Kindle app and the others mentioned ad nauseum, then it will do just fine so long as the hardware kicks ****.
    This is where it just becomes rainbow pooping unicorns. They will do just fine as long as they can deliver something built just as well as an iPhone, with the same features as an iPhone, with the same mature SDK as the iPhone, with the same ecosystem and developer support as the iPhone. Imagine that. Something that is just like an iPhone can be competitive with the iPhone.

I know HP sells a ton of copiers and printers, but all the copying in the world will not help them print an HP iPhone. It is time everyone wake up to the harsh reality that neither HP nor Palm, individually or combined is Apple. Heck, they're not even Samsung. Perhaps, if they work really hard, they could produce an N8 killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This is where it just becomes rainbow pooping unicorns. They will do just fine as long as they can deliver something built just as well as an iPhone, with the same features as an iPhone, with the same mature SDK as the iPhone, with the same ecosystem and developer support as the iPhone. Imagine that. Something that is just like an iPhone can be competitive with the iPhone.
    Except that wouldn't make it an iPhone. And having similar features is not copying. Surely you don't think having an voice and camera apps, which is what he mentioned, is copying an iPhone. If so, then Apple copied the Treo, which had those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    HP isn't going to "print" a phone. They didn't photoshop one. They aren't copying iPhone.
    Can't see why they would change their strategy, since that is exactly what they did with the "I ENVY the MBP" line of laptops.

BTW, do you really think Samsung is bigger than HP? Might explain the photoshop delusions.
    Bigger? No. A better, more successful CE manufacturer? Yep. Let me know when HP produces something in this space that can take on a Nokia flip phone before you start talking about taking on Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why is it that some folks are bound and determined to turn every single thread on which they participate on this forum into another "HP is going to fail" thread? Are they really that insecure about the toy they own?

HP isn't going to "print" a phone. They didn't photoshop one. They aren't copying iPhone. HP, nor Palm, desires to become Apple. That is the sugar and pizza induced dreams of iPhans as they sleep in the mother's basements clutching their iPhone and in hand, and doing who knows what with their iPad in the other; but it is not reality.

BTW, do you really think Samsung is bigger than HP? Might explain the photoshop delusions.

HP is going to announce a lot of things in February. It won't only be tablets, or phones. It won't even only be devices, nor will the services they offer be limited to buying apps and songs from a propriatary source.

Yes, it's going to be fun.

For some of us.
    It will be fun. The detractors only want to focus on the tab or phones and then claim HP will fail 'cause they ain't Apple. So I guess the logic is that only one or two players can play in this game.

However, they choose to over look the fact that HP's strategy for webOS is what will drive it's success and that it goes beyond tabs and phones, which to me makes it more exciting bc they're gonna do what it takes to make webOS work in ways we haven't thought of. The trickle down effect of the effort will benefit webOS consumers.

I feel pretty good about webOS when I read articles detailing how HP labs in India and Palo Alto are working jointly to make webOS better. Moving hundreds of staff to the Palm Global unit to work on engineering, sales, distribution, app development. Think about that for a minute. The talent, minds, and money behind this venture is amazing. And for people to overlook that is short-sided. When HP said they're going to be all in we're starting to see that.

It's going to be an exciting time for people who like webOS.
    Last edited by playboy; 01/11/2011 at 10:13 PM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Can't see why they would change their strategy, since that is exactly what they did with the "I ENVY the MBP" line of laptops.

Bigger? No. A better, more successful CE manufacturer? Yep. Let me know when HP produces something in this space that can take on a Nokia flip phone before you start talking about taking on Apple.
    We haven't seen what they're going to introduce. HP has the capabilities and resources to do some amazing things. So why don't you hold off on making such strong statements until you see what they introduce and what the road map looks like. Unless you're more interested in repeating how much of a failure they're likely to be.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    We haven't seen what they're going to introduce. HP has the capabilities and resources to do some amazing things. So why don't you hold off on making such strong statements until you see what they introduce and what the road map looks like. Unless you're more interested in repeating how much of a failure they're likely to be.
    Only thing that I am worry about is that there's lack of any news from HP/Palm. Yes, they are talking about how they are going to create something amazing using WebOS, yet we haven't even seen one prototype yet. Remember that windows slate product HP produced, they showed that product all over the place, and they terminated. Why can't they show leak some nice prototype in the media like months ago? Lack of news, just make people to lose their faith to webos. Especially there's tons of great devices coming out everyday from all over the places. Couple of months ago, Ipad was the best tablet, now google is showing honeycomb, and it is just so amazing. Microsoft was closely working with the developer way before the Windows phone 7 releases, and that's the reason why they get alot of apps to support them already after only few months into public.

I just hope that HP has some great stuffs on Feb 9th.
    sure hope the hp superphone that will be announced on feb 9th does not sport flowers for its wallpaper. cause then i'll get stuck seeing that macho wallpaper over and over in magazines and billboards showcasing the phone. talk about...
    So if HP does tremendously succeed, do you think the PalmFans will "copy" the iPhans, and flock to the Apple forums, or will we remain here, happy with our devices?
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    My main concern is whether any new WebOS smartphone will be on Sprint. I can't change carriers, so I'm kinda pinned on this one.

Fingers crossed!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Quote Originally Posted by NINnerd View Post
    My main concern is whether any new WebOS smartphone will be on Sprint. I can't change carriers, so I'm kinda pinned on this one.

Fingers crossed!
    I don't think you're going to be disappointed.