Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    There's a very good chance the 5th gen iPhone could launch around the same time HP hits the market with their phones though...

Really, I think the notion of the iPhone 4 being old kit is something people like us think about. The rest of the world is just happy to be able to get an iPhone without having to leave their network.
    Exactly. I know of four friends that are dropping their Droids come next month in favor of the iPhone. They're not the tech type either, just ecstatic to havebthe ability to get an iPhone on their network.
    There's a very good chance the 5th gen iPhone could launch around the same time HP hits the market with their phones though...

Really, I think the notion of the iPhone 4 being old kit is something people like us think about. The rest of the world is just happy to be able to get an iPhone without having to leave their network.
    You may also be understimating the pull of Android. I guess we'll see what happens. I just don't think that HP will wait until June to launch something. It would be good business to launch on ATT/Verizon/Sprint/T-mobile at the same time though. Having your phone available everywhere is definitely good for PRPRPR $as$ $well$ $as$ $sales$.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I don't think there is any way HP is outshone by the 7 month old iPhone 4. Too much money involved. They are not Palm.
    Yeaaaaahh...tally up the anticipation guessing articles leading up to today's announcement, then tally the same regarding HP's event.
    You may also be understimating the pull of Android. I guess we'll see what happens.
    That's the rub. Android hurts webOS more than it hurts the iPhone.
    You may also be understimating the pull of Android. I guess we'll see what happens. I just don't think that HP will wait until June to launch something. It would be good business to launch on ATT/Verizon/Sprint/T-mobile at the same time though. Having your phone available everywhere is definitely good for PRPRPR $as$ $well$ $as$ $sales$.
    We may very well now see a shift, especially if Sprint adopts the iphone soon (no reason they can't, it's non exclusive). I'd suspect the market would begin to look a lot like the European market where the iPhone is heavily preferred and available on almost all carriers.
    I'm sorry, but I don't think the impact of a mid-year iPhone jump to Verizon is going to spell doom for HP. The best thing they could do is launch a phone at that "party". If they do that, then they will not be forgotten. Going up against last years iPhone is a God send.

Imagine if Apple and gone crazy and launched the iPhone 5....
    This thread is about the HP announcement, and it's been put in serious jeopardy by what Apple did today.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Umm, isn't a good thing that they chose the 10th? That seems to me that they do not view HP as someone they can ignore. No, it seems to me that they are saying lets try to stop HP because they will be bringing the goods.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCForever View Post
    Umm, isn't a good thing that they chose the 10th? That seems to me that they do not view HP as someone they can ignore. No, it seems to me that they are saying lets try to stop HP because they will be bringing the goods.
    I doubt their choosing of time had very little or nothing to do with HP's announcement. The cards just played that way.
    And exactly because of that it doesn't matters what Apple will do, and it doesn't matters the timing.

It's as easy as this:

HP shows it's stuff: if it's appealing, will sell, if not, bad luck, guys. Android is selling phones, RIM is selling phones, Windows Mobile is selling phones, Bada is selling phones.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by DCForever View Post
    Uh, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    This thread is about the HP announcement, and it's been put in serious jeopardy by what Apple did today.
    Again, it doesn't matters people interested in buying a Verizon iPhone is going to do it anyways. The same for people waiting for the iPhone 5.
    Newness Developments apps:

That's the rub. Android hurts webOS more than it hurts the iPhone.
    .... yeah, I don't think you can say that at this point. ATT had crap for Android, so naturally you would choose the iPhone.

VZW has a huge lineup of great Android phones. I think we'll see in the coming months (lol) whether or not you are accurate in your assesment.

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    WebOS has a number of things going for it as an OS that still give it an advantage, even when you compare it to Android 2.3. If you look at it, the OS still feels very solid and new compared to the competition, from cards/multitasking, to the gesture area that make the old idea of hitting buttons feel like something from ages ago.

The only disadvantage at this point is the screen size, which isn't TINY, but isn't large enough to draw a lot of attention compared to the other top tier phones.

With that in mind, what HP/Palm has needed for the past year is a phone with a 3.7 inch or larger screen that also includes a physical keyboard. With a virtual keyboard, this would be the perfect edge, since it is the best of both worlds. We already have 512MB of RAM and 16GB of storage, so adding a 32GB storage version is the only thing that some might see as needed. A larger battery then would be the only thing needed to solve ALL the complaints since the Pre 2 has a glass screen instead of plastic.

Horizontal vs. vertical sliders, and the PalmPad, plus a "slab" would make for a fairly complete offering for 2011.

If HP does not step up and deliver a fairly complete array of devices with 1GHz single-core or dual-core processors, then I just don't see how HP will be able to really get enough attention to get a significant percentage of the market. A larger percentage of the market is needed to really draw in app developers, which is why this is such an important thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yeaaaaahh...tally up the anticipation guessing articles leading up to today's announcement, then tally the same regarding HP's event.
    You always like to compare Apples to Lemmings....

It's nye impossible to make a comparison at this juncture. HP is basically starting over. Your arguement begins to hold water next year at a similar HP event. Like I said, the iPhone is not in danger, but I contend that niether are the yet to be announced WebOs devices.

It's nye impossible to make a comparison at this juncture. HP is basically starting over.
    That's just it, though. Apple and Google aren't starting over. They have mature, well-supported products that leverage each company's unique ecosystem.

There are people who will die without ever having used an Android phone (hi Dan). On the other hand, there are people who will never, ever use an iPhone. Neither camp will miss out on much because both platforms are generally pretty good.

webOS users miss out on a lot. And that makes it a tough sell for HP.
    Note that Apple said Verizon iPhone relationship isn't exclusive. Only thing stopping Apple from bringing it to Sprint is desire.

Can you imagine what would happen if HP announces something on the 9th dealing with Sprint and then Apple turns around and works with Sprint to bring the iPhone to their network? Very feasible.
    That's just it, though. Apple and Google aren't starting over. They have mature, well-supported products that leverage each company's unique ecosystem.

There are people who will die without ever having used an Android phone (hi Dan). On the other hand, there are people who will never, ever use an iPhone. Neither camp will miss out on much because both platforms are generally pretty good.

webOS users miss out on a lot. And that makes it a tough sell for HP.
    I just don't think it is accurate to compare a relaunch with those two. That's like saying that Windows Phone 7 has no place, but it does.

I don't think the market will be all iPhone and Android with the rest picking up the scraps. Also, I know several people on ATT that will drop the iPhone for the new ATT Android offerings.

Again, though, this is all guess work. No one will know probably for another 2 or 3 years who the main players will be in the smartphone market.

My guess is that you will see the market shape up like this -

Andorid - 30-35%
    IOS - 30-35%
    WP7 - 20-25%
    WebOS - 10-15%

I would suggest there is money to be made in each group.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    You realize that is just a photoshopped iPad, right? For the record, that is exactly what I exploit from HP.
    Seriously?? You seriously expect that HP is going to photoshop an iPad, and that's going to be their presentation of their new product?

Seriously?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Let me tell you guys. Get ready for waiting until Feb and then getting no news on a new phone. This event is going to be tablets only.

They are releasing the pre 2 on Verizon, so you know we are going to be stuck on this hardware, until the operating system becomes irrelevant.

Just some happy thoughts.
    There will be phones on the ninth.... that is a fact.