Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So, you are thinking that they probably won't allow a hands-on? If webOS 2.0 has been out then the main attraction should be the hardware. The media is going to want to see if the build quality is any better than the current Palm products, especially if the phones will be released within a couple of months. All tablets are beginning to look the same so just seeing it won't leave much of an impression.
    I meant to say "wouldn't". I think they'll allow hands-on.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    So a friend of mine..just worked on a house of a major HP dude and found out that the new WebOS tablets that will be announced will focus mainly on business. Instead of releasing just another pad..they will focus on school, government & Medical application for their new WebOS products....Absolutely nothing regarding new phones
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think he meant to say no reason they won't allow a hands-on.

But WebOS 2.0 is probably not relevant here. It's not tablet friendly, and a good deal of reskinning and additional code will go into whatever version of WebOS ends up on the tablet (2.5.x supposedly).
    Wow. What a bold statement. You're the only tech "pundit" I've heard say that. Haven't seen that mentioned on P/C, Engadget, Gizmodo, All Things D, CNET or any other site. Yet, somehow you know that webOS 2.0 isn't tablet ready. Um, ok. We'll see what webOS on a tablet looks like on Feb 9th.

Let's see something that will sell phones and tablets. Let's see some sizzle. That is what I hope and expect to see. I'd be quite disappointed with anything less.
    What can they announce on Feb 9 that is going to make things "sizzle" for you? They'll prolly announce some really nice hardware that will sell, but I have a feeling that some people will still be disappointed in whatever is announced. You can't please everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wireguy View Post
    So a friend of mine..just worked on a house of a major HP dude and found out that the new WebOS tablets that will be announced will focus mainly on business. Instead of releasing just another pad..they will focus on school, government & Medical application for their new WebOS products....Absolutely nothing regarding new phones
    I guess that your "friend" read that Fox News website story from Dec 21.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I guess that your "friend" read that Fox News website story from Dec 21.
    Did HP demo any tablets at CES? I know that article said they would .. three to be exact.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Did HP demo any tablets at CES? I know that article said they would .. three to be exact.
    No. and that's exactly the article contents.
    Newness Developments apps:

Wow. What a bold statement. You're the only tech "pundit" I've heard say that. Haven't seen that mentioned on P/C, Engadget, Gizmodo, All Things D, CNET or any other site. Yet, somehow you know that webOS 2.0 isn't tablet ready. Um, ok. We'll see what webOS on a tablet looks like on Feb 9th.
    Because nobody commented it doesn't means it's not true. HP is releasing Enyo for a reason, and that reason is Mojo isn't ready to manage multiple resolutions easily (= not ready for tablets).

It's not the entire webOS isn't ready, but the framework that makes the apps work.

What can they announce on Feb 9 that is going to make things "sizzle" for you? They'll prolly announce some really nice hardware that will sell, but I have a feeling that some people will still be disappointed in whatever is announced. You can't please everyone.
    You can bet on it. There is people disappointed before the announcement...
    Newness Developments apps:

WebOS 2.0 doesn't have a virtual keyboard, isn't landscape-oriented, isn't set to allow anything on the home screen except a handful of icons at the very bottom, and doesn't even have all of the features promised for the PHONE version of this OS upgrade.

It's safe to say that whatever is on that tablet...it won't be 2.0 as we know it. There's nothing critical about saying that.

For me, it's all about the tablet version of WebOS (not that I want a tablet, mind you. I just want to see this OS finished and evolved, and I believe this is the first time we'll truly see that), and the supporting ecosystem/infrastructure. Moreso than anything else, I want to be blindsided and for them to make me say "That's my next handset".

That's why I watch any conference or announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Nope.
    WebOS 2.0 doesn't have a virtual keyboard, isn't landscape-oriented, isn't set to allow anything on the home screen except a handful of icons at the very bottom, and doesn't even have all of the features promised for the PHONE version of this OS upgrade.

It's safe to say that whatever is on that tablet...it won't be 2.0 as we know it. There's nothing critical about saying that.
    Well, you're stating the obvious.

Moreso than anything else, I want to be blindsided and for them to make me say "That's my next handset".

That's why I watch any conference or announcement.
    I don't know what they can announce that will "blindside" you. Blindside means that you didn't see it coming. I think that you mentioned in some thread that what they're likely to present on Feb 9 won't be any different than the usual suspects released by other manufacturers of the typical 4.0, 4.3, 4.5, 4.7, 5, 7, 9.8 inch screens variety to the market.

What do you want to hear and see announced on Feb 9 that will blindside you?

I don't have unrealistic expectations for this announcement. I think that they'll announce two phones, a pad, device road map for the next several months, and "essential" apps. One phone will have specs that are as good as what was announced at CES and the other one will be a nice mid-range device with a mid-range processor. If they announce better specs I'll be pleasantly surprised. But either way none of use are likely to be "blindsided". We know what is coming. It's a matter of the small details that are unknown.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Because nobody commented it doesn't means it's not true. HP is releasing Enyo for a reason, and that reason is Mojo isn't ready to manage multiple resolutions easily (= not ready for tablets).

It's not the entire webOS isn't ready, but the framework that makes the apps work.
    I get that. I even mentioned it several times throughout this thread.
    I don't have unrealistic expectations for this announcement. I think that they'll announce two phones, a pad, device road map for the next several months, and "essential" apps. One phone will have specs that are as good as what was announced at CES and the other one will be a nice mid-range device with a mid-range processor. If they announce better specs I'll be pleasantly surprised. But either way none of use are likely to be "blindsided". We know what is coming. It's a matter of the small details that are unknown.
    Kudos to HP for having their own event. But now the question is, should they tell all at this event? You mentioned two phones, a pad, and a roadmap. That's too much. Guess what people will focus on...the palmpad. The phones will be lost in the noise. And the notion of having a "mid-range" phone seems silly to bring up at a marketing event.

My feeling is that they'll have to do both. Connected devices is HP's mantra. And well, you need both to show it right? Not to mention HP is basically rebooting.

I do firmly believe they should avoid introducing "teen" phones, mid-level, low-level, call it what you want. Focus on the pad & slab. It's crucial that HP shed the "cheap" image that Palm let its branding get to and focus on quality.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

What do you want to hear and see announced on Feb 9 that will blindside you?

If he knew how could it blindside him?!
    The article on the front page about the Palm 4G device on Verizon for both voice/data makes me think Verizon will get its first major HP phone upgrade late this year or early next year and that HP is sidestepping Verizon for now for phones and is just giving them the Palm Pre 2 because of the Apple juggernaut.
    But they might still release a tablet now on Verizon and perhaps some tiny phone (to replace the pixi?).
    Sprint will get the 4G device in "the coming months."
    This is pure speculation but might explain why HP old CEO downplayed phones and why so much talent left Palm...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I do firmly believe they should avoid introducing "teen" phones, mid-level, low-level, call it what you want. Focus on the pad & slab. It's crucial that HP shed the "cheap" image that Palm let its branding get to and focus on quality.
    I agree with your opinion, here. But, in all fairness to Palm, they did not give HP a "cheap" image. HP did that long before Palm came along. HP is responsible for more craptastic, crapware riddled, landfill bound, cheap, plastic PCs than anyone in the industry. They happily engaged in the race to the bottom. If they do that with wOS products, too, it will be on them, not Palm.
    I can see a scenario to release superphones and teen phones a like: interconnectability. What would be the impact if you could play multiplayer games, or share apps when in close proximity like a DS does, not over the internet? That would also be a good use of the tethering and the wireless connectivity. The gaming market could explode. Or editing documents at the same time. Or remote viewing or each other's phones, pictures, videos.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Kudos to HP for having their own event. But now the question is, should they tell all at this event? You mentioned two phones, a pad, and a roadmap. That's too much. Guess what people will focus on...the palmpad. The phones will be lost in the noise. And the notion of having a "mid-range" phone seems silly to bring up at a marketing event.

My feeling is that they'll have to do both. Connected devices is HP's mantra. And well, you need both to show it right? Not to mention HP is basically rebooting.

Anyone else see this?? Maybe not even worth mentioning, but take a look and whet your appetite!

http://www.unitedintegral.com/HP-Palmpad-C603.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by andidendel View Post
    Anyone else see this?? Maybe not even worth mentioning, but take a look and whet your appetite!

http://www.unitedintegral.com/HP-Palmpad-C603.aspx
    You realize that is just a photoshopped iPad, right? For the record, that is exactly what I exploit from HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    You realize that is just a photoshopped iPad, right? For the record, that is exactly what I exploit from HP.
    Of course...it could be. Was just looking around hoping to find some accessory maker with either early-posted images or accessories.

Wouldn't mind if the PalmPad was the same dimensions as the iPad, actually. Then maybe I could use ProClip's dash mount without waiting for them to decide whether they'll make one for the HP.
    Also gave me a new search term: C603.