Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    IMHO HP have to come with something realy beyond all the smartphones presented at CES
    4G LTE and will have live stream, minimum dual-core cpu or go beyond and first with a multicore Cortex A-15:

Watt’s the Limit for Smart Mobile Devices? Meet the Cortex™-A15 - ARM Community

I dont see matching the competition in hardware will be at this moment very succesful because android is bringing the gingerbread 3.0 to smatphones in a couple of weeks.

The Manta smartphone have to be beyond in hardware.
    the "wow" effect doesnt have to be from the multicore procesor necesarilly. it has to be from a combination of very good hardware, very good software ,maybe other extra devices, and how all of them are connected as one. that could blow many people away without the need of a multicore procesor ,or more pixels than anyone else.
    I smell a merge

Evo-lution
    Every PC member should wear a black turtleneck that day and post a pic... Do they even sell those or does he have them custom made?
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I smell a merge

Evo-lution
    You have a very sophisticated sense of smell!

<<<merged>>>
    We are going back through and deleting all the posts that are about anything other than the HP February 9 Announcement.

I think most posts about other topics are deleted. Another mod said it in another thread last week but if a post is about "You" or each other, it should probably be reported.

Here is your official warning for this thread:

Talk about phones and software is great. Talk about each other is going to get you an infraction.

If you see users talking about each other or other topics, please hit the http://forums.precentral.net/images/...ons/report.gif report button.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/10/2011 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, the problem is that there is nothing to discuss about Feb. 9 - it's just a date that HP said that they would have an event. All of the real news over the past week has been about other devices and platforms and what HP didn't do.

When was the last time there was something substantive to discuss about HP Palm? The non-launch of the Pre 2? The non-availabiltiy of webOS 2.0? The non-arrival of major new webOS apps?

If discussion on this forum is restricted to future Palm devices and on this forum to Feb 9 then there isn't anything to talk about.
    yes there is. it's called anticipatory conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Can I ask why anyone would think that their announcement is going to include third party apps?
    The CES 2009 announcment (I'm almost positive) included information about 3rd party apps (I think Pandora and Facebook were both mentioned). I know the 2010 CES announcement included information about third party apps, lots of them. I suspect the announcement at their event will follow suit, but bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Every PC member should wear a black turtleneck that day and post a pic... Do they even sell those or does he have them custom made?
    Is this cheap enough?
    UltraClub Adult Egyptian Interlock Long-Sleeve Turtleneck (8516) : ClothingWarehouse.com offers Embroidery and Screen Printing services
    No thanks, I will not dress like that <*****>.

On a side note, I have hope, but don't see HP hitting this one out of the park. I'd like to be proven wrong though. I really like the idea of that one android phone with the docking station. The only thing that has me wondering is, look at that other thread about Sprint being dead… Not that I agree, but two companies, HPalm and Sprint, both pass on CES. One had been a great partner with Palm in the past, the other holding out for a special announcement of their own on Feb, 9. Could there be a correlation to both companies being silent at CES? New exclusive Palm phone coming to Sprint? Your guess is as good as mine, but if this is the case, it better be a SUPER phone and they better push it hard with advertising (Sprint & HPalm) and new devs/HQ apps (HPalm) to support it or both companies are wasting each other’s time.
    Here's my big question: come Feb 9 will it be purely announcements or will they have any demos to go along with said announcements? It would be rather embarrassing to have a large announcement with absolutely nothing to demo.
    What are you predictions for who is making the bulk of the announcements? Phil or Jon or random person hired for youtube videos? It'd be great if Phil and Jon could be scripted in to some kind of Abbott and Costello routine.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    What are you predictions for who is making the bulk of the announcements? Phil or Jon or random person hired for youtube videos? It'd be great if Phil and Jon could be scripted in to some kind of Abbott and Costello routine.
    Hopefully someone that knows what they're doing and know's the ins-and-outs of what they're talking about. Not someone that was just brought in because they're a great speaker.

Maybe they hired Steve Jobs for the day?
    I suspect that Jon and Phil will do the bulk of it. But the EVP of Personal Systems may say a word or two.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Will the press get a hands-on with the tablet? I doubt they will allow this unless the UI looks smooth. We are past the point where tech reporters will be willing to forgive a laggy UI because we already have some good ones out there. The media isn't happy, however, if you call them down to a presentation they don't get to handle anything when you could have streamed it out and saved them the trip.
    Well, seeing as how 2.0 has been "out" since Oct, I really don't see a reason why they wouldn't allow a hands-on nor why the UI would be laggy. All reviews of 2.0 haven't mentioned anything about it being laggy so I wouldn't even go there.
    Last edited by playboy; 01/10/2011 at 07:43 PM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    or this guy

http://media.marketwire.com/attachme...oApotheker.jpg
    Well, the problem is that there is nothing to discuss about Feb. 9 - it's just a date that HP said that they would have an event. All of the real news over the past week has been about other devices and platforms and what HP didn't do.

When was the last time there was something substantive to discuss about HP Palm? The non-launch of the Pre 2? The non-availabiltiy of webOS 2.0? The non-arrival of major new webOS apps?

If discussion on this forum is restricted to future Palm devices and on this forum to Feb 9 then there isn't anything to talk about.
    Agreed. While last night did get off topic, you have to allow for criticism of details about the event etc. If you're not willing to deal with that then feel free to close this thread and open it on February 9th.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 01/10/2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: broke post up to keep on topic
  17.    #437  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Agreed. While last night did get off topic, you have to allow for criticism of details about the event etc. If you're not willing to deal with that then feel free to close this thread and open it on February 9th.
    Actually, what it boils down to is.. if you have nothing to add to a discussion, move on to another thread. We aren't going to close a thread because some are bored with it and/or can't stay on topic. There are many other threads for the debates. As Milo has posted, the subject matter of this thread is clear.

Thanks
    So, you are thinking that they probably won't allow a hands-on? If webOS 2.0 has been out then the main attraction should be the hardware. The media is going to want to see if the build quality is any better than the current Palm products, especially if the phones will be released within a couple of months. All tablets are beginning to look the same so just seeing it won't leave much of an impression.
    I think he meant to say no reason they won't allow a hands-on.

But WebOS 2.0 is probably not relevant here. It's not tablet friendly, and a good deal of reskinning and additional code will go into whatever version of WebOS ends up on the tablet (2.5.x supposedly).

That is what truly excites me. WebOS 2.0 went over like a wet fart. Let's see some exciting new design elements. Let's see the native apps fully tricked out. Let's see a content ecosystem besides streaming music (old hat, honestly) that will support this hardware. Let's see something that will sell phones and tablets. Let's see some sizzle. That is what I hope and expect to see. I'd be quite disappointed with anything less.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The CES 2009 announcment (I'm almost positive) included information about 3rd party apps (I think Pandora and Facebook were both mentioned). I know the 2010 CES announcement included information about third party apps, lots of them. I suspect the announcement at their event will follow suit, but bigger.

Well, you hope.
    I just don't think that apps are going to be the main focus of the February event.

I think it will likely be abnormally silent about apps and hope that with whatever they do announce...it will spout dev interest and grow the catalog.

Unless they literally announce several thousand apps...the media is likely to yawn about app announcements.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 01/10/2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: broke posts up to keep discussion going
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    nobody is going to care if they have 7000 2000 or whatever number of apps you want to make up. what every one will be looking at, is quality of apps, devices,os
    Last edited by shloime; 01/10/2011 at 07:22 PM.