Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 960
  1. #381  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Thank you. HP has a whole team of internal developers.
    Any idea how big that is and what sorts of software development they're involved in? I assume some of them are working on the OS, although I have no idea how big that team is anymore. Are there others working on more Apps outside those released with the OS?
  2. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    #382  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'll say this, I doubt that Ruby is suddenly sitting on the board at Amazon because he needed a second job, or that he suddenly "discovered" that they have a book reader. Who wants to start a poll on how soon we see a Kindle app for the Pre?
    Three words come to mind. The first one is "content." The other two are "think beyond." Think beyond Kindle and e-books. One of Apple's consumer lock-in's is from providing content through iTunes. Amazon has a huge digital content library, and there are hooks to consumer electronics like my TiVo for PPV movies and the Pre for purchasing music. Anyone hoping to compete with Apple in the smartphone/tablet arena is going to need to bundle an integrated content library, and Amazon has it there waiting to be tapped by HP. This may actually be the "think big" part of the 2/9 announcement!

    On the subject of Amazon, this article about Amazon starting up their own Android app store was interesting:

    Amazon’s Disruptive Android App Store Now Open To Developers €”*Full Details

    I wonder if HP would consider outsourcing the Palm App Catalog to Amazon?????
  3. #383  
    its not app catalog delivery that needs help so much as it is app development and apps from the major brands we want to buy/consume from our phones.

    the thing Amazon can do to help Palm is deliver (or facilitate) a best-in-class Kindle app for webOS. IMHO
  4. #384  
    Why does HP want you to "Think"? When has this society ever wanted to use their brains when it comes to technological devices? Everybody I know that has an iPhone loves it simply because it just 'works'. They don't need to think when using it.

    HP is stuck on this whole "Think" mentality. Where Droid "Does", and iPhone does everything, HP wants you to ..... think. (ie. ThinkPad.... well, ok. Thats the only evidence I have to base my argument there, but you get the point. :-p)

    I've been thinking for 6 months about no new products from HP or even leaked products. I thought so long that I wondered why I am living with a Palm Pre that breaks, cracks, doesn't have cool apps that compare with any other mobile OS.... so I bought an Evo.

    .... but just to be sure my post is slightly on topic... :-) ..... I am definitely interested in what will be unveiled on Feb. 9th. I bought my Evo with the mindset that HP/Palm won't actually release any new devices until June or July, and that would be when I can use my 6 month upgrade from Sprint..... assuming Sprint is even going to be offered as a carrier of new said devices.

    .... that also assumes that WebOS will actually get the 3rd party app support that Google, WP7 and iPhone already have.... which they won't. HP's software engineers will have their work cut out for them to keep up with everyone else. I'm sure they can release great hardware, but it's going to be for nothing when they can't come out and say, "HEY! Check out this new hardware, plus all these cool apps that you can now use on our new HP Manta.... or Broadway.... or... whatever."
  5. #385  
    Quote Originally Posted by eggroks View Post
    how good can a webos tablet be if there are no revolutionizing apps to support it? We need app developers to step up majorly
    We don't know anything about the new phones or tablets that are coming, so why would we expect to know about the software that comes with it?
  6. #386  
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    .... that also assumes that WebOS will actually get the 3rd party app support that Google, WP7 and iPhone already have.... which they won't.
    Since this thread is about the Feb 9 announcement, from this statement you're on record as saying that HP will not announce any 3rd party support for webOS at the Feb 9 event. And third party includes Amazon, Barnes & Noble, EA, Netflix, Glu Mobile, Verizon apps and so forth. I guess we'll see when we get to Feb 9 and beyond.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  7. rothoof's Avatar
    Posts
    510 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #387  
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    Why does HP want you to "Think"? When has this society ever wanted to use their brains when it comes to technological devices? Everybody I know that has an iPhone loves it simply because it just 'works'. They don't need to think when using it.

    HP is stuck on this whole "Think" mentality. Where Droid "Does", and iPhone does everything, HP wants you to ..... think. (ie. ThinkPad.... well, ok. Thats the only evidence I have to base my argument there, but you get the point. :-p)

    I've been thinking for 6 months about no new products from HP or even leaked products. I thought so long that I wondered why I am living with a Palm Pre that breaks, cracks, doesn't have cool apps that compare with any other mobile OS.... so I bought an Evo.

    .... but just to be sure my post is slightly on topic... :-) ..... I am definitely interested in what will be unveiled on Feb. 9th. I bought my Evo with the mindset that HP/Palm won't actually release any new devices until June or July, and that would be when I can use my 6 month upgrade from Sprint..... assuming Sprint is even going to be offered as a carrier of new said devices.

    .... that also assumes that WebOS will actually get the 3rd party app support that Google, WP7 and iPhone already have.... which they won't. HP's software engineers will have their work cut out for them to keep up with everyone else. I'm sure they can release great hardware, but it's going to be for nothing when they can't come out and say, "HEY! Check out this new hardware, plus all these cool apps that you can now use on our new HP Manta.... or Broadway.... or... whatever."
    They said "think", not talking about using the phone. They are hinting about what to expect from the event. Think big-tablet?, think small-palm pixi 2 or slab phone?, think beyond- cloud sevices?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  8. #388  
    I don't see the big deal for a Kindle app? Not on the Palm Pre ok if they release a tablet but get real who reads a book on a pre? Or for that matter wants to see a movie on a 3" screen. I see new financial companies, news organizations etc every day for other operating systems this is what is needed not useless upgrades. I am perfectly happy with my Sprint Palm Pre and have had no problems with it.
  9. #389  
    Can I ask why anyone would think that their announcement is going to include third party apps?
  10. #390  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Can I ask why anyone would think that their announcement is going to include third party apps?
    Bc that is what happens at announcements. Bc the next question at the announcement is which apps will be included on the tab. Didn't they announce third party apps at the 2010 CES? Knowing how important apps are and the fact that HP's Enyo dev framework is important for the HP tabs and phones going, it makes sense that you'll hear about "important" software announcements.

    Remember in the CNBC video interview with Todd Bradley, HP Personal Systems Group EVP, he said that the Feb 9 event is a "webOS event". It's not just HP showing up and presenting hardware. It'll encompass the things that surround that hardware as well that are essential to webOS.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  11. #391  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Bc that is what happens at announcements. Bc the next question at the announcement is which apps will be included on the tab. Didn't they announce third party apps at the 2010 CES? Knowing how important apps are and the fact that HP's Enyo dev framework is important for the HP tabs and phones going, it makes sense that you'll hear about "important" software announcements.

    Remember in the CNBC video interview with Todd Bradley, HP Personal Systems Group EVP, he said that the Feb 9 event is a "webOS event". It's not just HP showing up and presenting hardware. It'll encompass the things that surround that hardware as well that are essential to webOS.
    I follow the logic in this assumption.

    I would caution against getting too excited over the prospect of more apps.

    And I would honestly question the intelligence in holding off releasing apps for an "event"
  12. shloime's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    #392  
    hp knows all of the negative ideas posted in here. they also know very well the new devices from apple and android. And they know that in order to compete , they need something that nobody thought about. thats where the words:" think beyond" fits. Meaning : beyond any devices , software, and the way they are connected until now. And they do have the money, experience, talents, best os, and desire to bring a revolution in the hitech world.
  13. #393  
    Is there going to be live streaming of the HP event today. If so , what time.
  14. #394  
    Quote Originally Posted by prematic View Post
    Is there going to be live streaming of the HP event today. If so , what time.
    February 9
    Not January 9.

    In the coming months, my friend
  15. #395  
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    hp knows all of the negative ideas posted in here. they also know very well the new devices from apple and android. And they know that in order to compete , they need something that nobody thought about. thats where the words:" think beyond" fits. Meaning : beyond any devices , software, and the way they are connected until now. And they do have the money, experience, talents, best os, and desire to bring a revolution in the hitech world.
    At some point everyone is doing the same thing. When you think of something different, it'll be copied and used by your competitor 3 clips later. That's just the nature of things.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  16. #396  
    so if CES it's over it seems like we have to wait 1 month to see the news about HP/Palm
  17. #397  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I follow the logic in this assumption.

    I would caution against getting too excited over the prospect of more apps.

    And I would honestly question the intelligence in holding off releasing apps for an "event"
    I hear ya. But I guess I'm saying don't be surprised if they do talk about 4 or 5 prominent apps and even have a rep or two to talk about how easy the new dev framework makes developing for multiple form-factors really easy. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't announce any new prominent apps.

    To your point about the intelligence in holding off on releasing apps at an event; it makes sense if you're introducing these apps for a specific device (pad) that you've never had before/a device that everyone and there mother is releasing and that will carry over to other devices (phone). They wouldn't introduce any new apps at an unveil event if there wasn't a pad.

    It may not happen at the Feb 9 event but there couldn't be a better time to do so when you have members of the press there and all of this talk about HP needing dev support that they don't have now. The Feb 9 event is a chance for HP to be able to say "We're welcoming X, Y, Z, A & D to our platform and they're very important partners for the long-run". It allows HP to re-frame the story about webOS development and inspire confidence about the future webOS as a platform.
    Last edited by playboy; 01/09/2011 at 02:27 PM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  18. #398  
    I am looking forward to seeing HP/Palm make a 4.3" slab like the EVO.

    With these specs:
    TI's OMAP4440 processor boasts new upgrades, raises the bar for mobile design -- DALLAS, Dec. 8, 2010 /PRNewswire/ --

    Be nice to have inside the new Palm's with 32-64 Gigs built in and expansion SD Card. Independent Video chip. That would raise the bar even higher. What eve HP brings to table should be good. If the upcoming palmPad is not to my liking i will be getting iPad, I know dont jump on me, but my wife wants a pad and i am holding out till HP releases the palmPad. I really hope HP/Palm bring a slab like HTC EVO size, i used the EVO and the screen size is excellent. Would love to see webOS on this size of screen. Feb 9 cant come fast enough.
  19. #399  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Any idea how big that is and what sorts of software development they're involved in? I assume some of them are working on the OS, although I have no idea how big that team is anymore. Are there others working on more Apps outside those released with the OS?
    No idea how big it is. As for what apps they are working on, there've been hints here and there (see the post above, even Ruby hinted that they're working on apps). Yes, there are definitely programmers working on something besides the OS. As you're probably aware, there are differing skillsets, even in the programming world. A skill in HTML/Java/Javascript does not necessarily mean a skill in core OS programming.
  20. shloime's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    #400  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    At some point everyone is doing the same thing. When you think of something different, it'll be copied and used by your competitor 3 clips later. That's just the nature of things.
    yes and no. everybody wants to do the same thing. not everyone is able to do it. and even the company that is able to do the same thing, most probably wont do it as good as them. thats why there is competition, and after that, there is a winner/s. android and rim are trying to imitate webos with their latest tablet os. lets wait till feb. 9 and compare. and to be fair, lets compare the devices, the software, and how well everything is connected together.

Posting Permissions