Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The problem is that HP Palm is a big fat no-show at CES this year and, instead, sent a message with nothing other than a calendar date and six words (three of them "Think"). There's just not that much more to stay on topic about Feb 9 and we have a separate thread about the "Think..." lines. That's all we got in webOS-land right now - the most boring place in smart phone universe at this time.

Oh, THAT'S the problem. I thought the problem was that Apple wasn't there. Big mistake by Jobs. They are dead now. Verizon will probably cancel the iPhone and abandon ship. HP and Apple are both doomed because they didn't make a big splash at CES.

Or maybe not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Oh, THAT'S the problem. I thought the problem was that Apple wasn't there. Big mistake by Jobs. They are dead now. Verizon will probably cancel the iPhone and abandon ship. HP and Apple are both doomed because they didn't make a big splash at CES.

Or maybe not.
    I know you're being sarcastic but i wanted to mention I think HP did exactly what most would expect. They showed at CES just what they make their money off of: computers, and printers, and enterprise storage solutions. That and business services is where they make their money. So i'm not that surprised it's what they show. Tablets and Phones, the webos, stuff is a potential growth area but i wouldn't expect them to put their eggs in one basket. I figured they'd have shown webos stuff but i'm not entirely stunned they didn't.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I think I'm goin to where matias is. I have a feeling he will build something amazing using the amazing infrsture android has.

Unless Palm still has a visionary and will completely blow our minds.. Say multi apps per screen with drag and drop funtionality and a fully baked synergy.
    Have you seen the interview on Engadget? Great stuff. You can start to see Matias' influence in Honeycomb. I watched a video of that last night and was thinking that it's actually starting to look tempting.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Have you seen the interview on Engadget? Great stuff. You can start to see Matias' influence in Honeycomb. I watched a video of that last night and was thinking that it's actually starting to look tempting.
    Yeah, great interview! And amazing design so far with gingerbread and honeycomb! I actually looked into his history and he did sidekick and helio which have well though out ui too. He knows his stuff!
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The problem is that HP Palm is a big fat no-show at CES this year and, instead, sent a message with nothing other than a calendar date and six words (three of them "Think").
    For being "a big fat no-show," Todd Bradley (HP executive VP, personal systems group) sure did prime the pump for 2/9 on this CNBC interview from the floor at CES yesterday:

Inside HP's Business

This is the best actual news that I've seen for Palm and webOS in months, and shows that HP "gets it" about the potential of webOS.....
    Bradley gets it. It's all about the overarching connectivity to content that HP plans to use Palm and webOS to create. I can even see controlling an HP television with your Palm phone and streaming content to it, or using it as a secondary display for your tablet to show spreadsheets, power points, photos, etc... This would be big for businesses as well as consumers. Too me the key is just how far along are they, and how connected is the experience going to be.

I also wonder if they maybe had some intention to originally show stuff at CES then got a glimpse of how much stuff was going to be there from other companies and decided a separate showing was better. He mentioned that having a big public showing all to themselves would allow them to show the whole experience and allow potential customers and press to focus on the breadth of what they will be providing.

I'm really beginning to think that they are going to blow us away. The more hints they drop the more it looks like they will be showing a large amount of stuff (hardware and software).
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Bradley gets it. It's all about the overarching connectivity to content that HP plans to use Palm and webOS to create. I can even see controlling an HP television with your Palm phone and streaming content to it, or using it as a secondary display for your tablet to show spreadsheets, power points, photos, etc... This would be big for businesses as well as consumers. Too me the key is just how far along are they, and how connected is the experience going to be.
    How would this be different from what you can already do with iOS? How are they still not late to the party. Connected devices in a mature ecosystem are already here, and are getting better by the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    How would this be different from what you can already do with iOS? How are they still not late to the party. Connected devices in a mature ecosystem are already here, and are getting better by the day.
    exactly. And for me and probably many other that's something I could care less about.
    understand the difference though, even IOS for instance app store is its own for the mobile device, then they just launched the mac store for their computers. Different applications for different devices, but the same company. They have to due to the OS unable to scale like a webos. Same thing for Google as you can see froyo, is not tablet ready gingerbread is supposed to be, and they will need different apps for that, its all seperate. In idea webos can have a tablet of all sizes, smartphones of all sizes, laptop, netbooks of all sizes using the same app store, connecting to the same devices (each other, printers, servers etc) without having to create different and smaller individual ecosystems because of the product. To me HP has a chance to create a single full ecosystem and focus, and develop for it like no other competitor out there can. HP has the reach to stretch worldwide, has the respect from business and other countrys most do not. Has a bigger brand name then the likes of other competitors like APPLE, Imagine the sky being the limit on how they could scale webos. They 're looking at a much bigger picture then these small companys fighting amoungs themselves like samsung and motorla just running with the jones. Their longeitivity is based upon making a new product every 3 to 6 months that people will want, and once they dont they will fade. HP can have a network of devices that all can access the same cloud, all the same devices on one version of a OS, because webos is able to do so period.
    Apple has the basic of it, they have a following that will buy their products regardless if its the better one or not. Android is heading that way at the moment too. With android though when you go into a store soon it will be ok this device looks like that one made by samsung, moto, lG, etc, they all have similar dimensions and specs whats the difference? What OS version is this running? will all the apps run on this version? Will this device be outdated in 3-6months? What sking will be ontop of the OS blur, sense, wizard etc? If i get a tablet will my apps running on this version work for that tablet? Will the tablet I get running this version make me purchase brand new apps the same ones I already have on my phone? Ask yourself just from the CES show which android device will you buy and why? If device A they why when Device B has simliar specs just made by someone else? Same as the tablets. Apple is different to me because even though at this point every new iphone may not do what some of the others do, it is just one product and people can recongize that. They say oh the new iphone comes out here, Ill upgrade to it knowing my apps will work on the new one. If I dont upgrade most likely my year old phone will still have the latest OS version on it. I know if I get it i wont have to worry about it be outdated within 3 to 6 months i know I have the latest and greatest. I know the product I get is made by the same company for the most part, not by over a dozen. Apples business works and will so for years to come, as long as they continue to keep trying to offer the device on other networks. HP with this vision I believe will put them in a class with Apple.
    Well most of you seemingly looking this from the consumer side, which is not bad, BUT HP is really doing the IT for some big businesses like for example Procter & Gamble. The whole ERP, document management, marketing and so on, is going through HP's IT. So now look at this providing the IT Solutions and interconnecting mainframes and all the server-side with PCs and WebOS devices. No need for M$ Intranets, Information and notifications about all the company processes everywhere, WebOS GUIs to company SAP-System, WebOS POS-Terminals and so on....
    Who could pull such a thing, in no way apple or google, they don't have the know how. Probably IBM but they do not have platform except java, which is almost dead with Oracle there... so it is possible but if they could make it happen, depends on them
    Quote Originally Posted by gergan View Post
    Well most of you seemingly looking this from the consumer side, which is not bad, BUT HP is really doing the IT for some big businesses like for example Procter & Gamble. The whole ERP, document management, marketing and so on, is going through HP's IT. So now look at this providing the IT Solutions and interconnecting mainframes and all the server-side with PCs and WebOS devices. No need for M$ Intranets, Information and notifications about all the company processes everywhere, WebOS GUIs to company SAP-System, WebOS POS-Terminals and so on....
    Who could pull such a thing, in no way apple or google, they don't have the know how. Probably IBM but they do not have platform except java, which is almost dead with Oracle there... so it is possible but if they could make it happen, depends on them
    true well said
    Quote Originally Posted by gergan View Post
    Great for their bottom line. Horrible for an end-user wanting a popular OS that attracts apps, developers, and interest from companies like OnStar, Netflix, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    For being "a big fat no-show," Todd Bradley (HP executive VP, personal systems group) sure did prime the pump for 2/9 on this CNBC interview from the floor at CES yesterday:

Inside HP's Business

This is the best actual news that I've seen for Palm and webOS in months, and shows that HP "gets it" about the potential of webOS.....
    Interesting.... that shot of the monitor around 6:20 looks awesome, I could care a lot less about what new phones are in store, and start caring a lot more about that monitor

that commercial on that electric car is pretty cool too, I've heard rumors of gas going up to $1.50/litre by summertime, last time it was that high, it was costing me almost $90/fill.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Great for their bottom line. Horrible for an end-user wanting a popular OS that attracts apps, developers, and interest from companies like OnStar, Netflix, etc.
    but why wouldnt that attract big name developers, and in term thousands of applications?
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    understand the difference though, even IOS for instance app store is its own for the mobile device, then they just launched the mac store for their computers. Different applications for different devices, but the same company. They have to due to the OS unable to scale like a webos.
    Wait, what? WebOS scales into a full-scale desktop OS like OSX? When did this happen?

Same thing for Google as you can see froyo, is not tablet ready gingerbread is supposed to be, and they will need different apps for that, its all seperate.
    That's not true at all. It's the same Android base. Google already stated that applications will dynamically adjust like email adding additional panes when run on a tablet.

In idea webos can have a tablet of all sizes, smartphones of all sizes, laptop, netbooks of all sizes using the same app store, connecting to the same devices (each other, printers, servers etc) without having to create different and smaller individual ecosystems because of the product.
    Again, not true. You cannot just stick WebOS as is on a tablet. It might make sense on a three inch, portrait-oriented display to allow nothing but a few icons along the bottom border. On a 10-inch tablet that will switch orientation all of the time, it makes no sense whatsoever. The interface must change. Graphical elements need to be redone to make a better use of the increased space as well as being optimized for a higher resolution. Using the same app store is hardly unique. There aren't TWO App Stores for Apple or TWO Android Markets.

To me HP has a chance to create a single full ecosystem and focus, and develop for it like no other competitor out there can. HP has the reach to stretch worldwide, has the respect from business and other countrys most do not. Has a bigger brand name then the likes of other competitors like APPLE,
    When it comes to consumer electronics, that's simply not true. Having a huge brand for printers, servers, and laptops is one thing. But HP's smartphone brand has thus far been defined by the iPaq and a failed company they bought to use their IP. Nobody but pre-existing Palm fans are knocking down carrier doors begging them to sell the new HP Palm Pre 2.

Imagine the sky being the limit on how they could scale webos. They 're looking at a much bigger picture then these small companys fighting amoungs themselves like samsung and motorla just running with the jones.
    Really? Because Samsung actually has a content ecosystem for their devices, and HP as of yet does not. Motorola is selling a smartphone that can be "scaled" to replace a desktop and a laptop, and HP as of yet does not. If Samsung and Motorola are not competing with HP on porting an OS to printers, servers, and whatever else, it's because they don't want to, not because they cannot.

HP can have a network of devices that all can access the same cloud, all the same devices on one version of a OS, because webos is able to do so period.
    Absolutely possible, but hasn't happened yet. They don't even have the current generation of WebOS devices on one version of an OS, and that's just a couple of phones.
    but why wouldnt that attract big name developers, and in term thousands of applications?
    This:

BUT HP is really doing the IT for some big businesses like for example Procter & Gamble. The whole ERP, document management, marketing and so on, is going through HP's IT. So now look at this providing the IT Solutions and interconnecting mainframes and all the server-side with PCs and WebOS devices. No need for M$ Intranets, Information and notifications about all the company processes everywhere, WebOS GUIs to company SAP-System, WebOS POS-Terminals and so on....
    ...is going to attract Netflix or Sirius/XM or Shazam? I guess they'll serve up a WebOS port when they're done with the WinNT version of their streaming app.
    Wait, what? WebOS scales into a full-scale desktop OS like OSX? When did this happen?

That's not true at all. It's the same Android base. Google already stated that applications will dynamically adjust like email adding additional panes when run on a tablet.

Again, not true. You cannot just stick WebOS as is on a tablet. It might make sense on a three inch, portrait-oriented display to allow nothing but a few icons along the bottom border. On a 10-inch tablet that will switch orientation all of the time, it makes no sense whatsoever. The interface must change. Graphical elements need to be redone to make a better use of the increased space as well as being optimized for a higher resolution. Using the same app store is hardly unique. There aren't TWO App Stores for Apple or TWO Android Markets.

When it comes to consumer electronics, that's simply not true. Having a huge brand for printers, servers, and laptops is one thing. But HP's smartphone brand has thus far been defined by the iPaq and a failed company they bought to use their IP. Nobody but pre-existing Palm fans are knocking down carrier doors begging them to sell the new HP Palm Pre 2.

Really? Because Samsung actually has a content ecosystem for their devices, and HP as of yet does not. Motorola is selling a smartphone that can be "scaled" to replace a desktop and a laptop, and HP as of yet does not. If Samsung and Motorola are not competing with HP on porting an OS to printers, servers, and whatever else, it's because they don't want to, not because they cannot.

Absolutely possible, but hasn't happened yet. They don't even have the current generation of WebOS devices on one version of an OS, and that's just a couple of phones.

my question is if the current android version is fine for tablets why make and state honeycomb is for tablets, and is optimized to do so?

the two app stores im talking about for apple is the one we all know IOS hundreds of thousands and the one they just launched the MAC APP STORE. http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...good-start.ars What I believe HP is doing is going to have one store for everything running webos smartphones, tablets, netbooks etc as opposed to having to do the above.

Webos as we know in its current OS stage 1.4.5 cannot be scaled the way it was intended. Though it is a fully optimized web based OS that can scale, and im pretty sure HP and Palm are working on that now so once presented on a tablet it will be able to take advantage of portrait, landscape modes, as well as scale from any dimensions you may be able to think of.

most stated of course with HP is a big IF i of course have no insider information, and of course they have not proved anything yet in the smartphone area with the likes of their IPAQ line. So this is stating IF they do WHAT I THINK they will be doing with WEBOS. Samsung, motorola, HTC etc do not own their own OS, therefore has no power or control over doing anything in the likes of what Google, HP, Apple, or Microsoft can do. If Google pulls the plug with either one of those manufactuers they will have to either find another company willing to license out their OS, or focus on making other products, that was my point.
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 01/08/2011 at 01:30 PM.
    the two app stores im talking about for apple is the one we all know IOS hundreds of thousands and the one they just launched the MAC APP STORE. Mac App Store hands-on: many nits to pick, but off to a good start What I believe HP is doing is going to have one store for everything running webos smartphones, tablets, netbooks etc as opposed to having to do the above.
    The only Apple mobile product that would have a different App Store is the MacBook Air, which their version of a netbook. Otherwise, HP's laptops and desktops will run Windows, and Apple's laptops and desktop will run OSX. It's the exact same.

Webos as we know in its current OS stage 1.4.5 cannot be scaled the way it was intended. Though it is a fully optimized web based OS that can scale, and im pretty sure HP and Palm are working on that now so once presented on a tablet it will be able to take advantage of portrait, landscape modes, as well as scale from any dimensions you may be able to think of.
    How is that any different from Google "fully optimizing" Android?

most stated of course with HP is a big IF i of course have no insider information, and of course they have not proved anything yet in the smartphone area with the likes of their IPAQ line. So this is stating IF they do WHAT I THINK they will be doing with WEBOS. Samsung, motorola, HTC etc do not own their own OS, therefore has no power or control over doing anything in the likes of what Google, HP, Apple, or Microsoft can do. If Google pulls the plug with either one of those manufactuers they will have to either find another company willing to license out their OS, or focus on making other products, that was my point.
    Google isn't pulling the plug on anyone. I mean, we've seen this movie before in the desktop OS situation. Volume wins. Android will overwhelm competitors the same way Windows did by sheer numbers. Did you notice there were almost no non-Android consumer electronics products announced at CES? Sure there was a Windows 7 slate or handheld here or there along with the Blackberry Playbook. But Android represented at least 80-90 percent of what the rest of the industry is doing.

It's just the way things are going.
    The only Apple mobile product that would have a different App Store is the MacBook Air, which their version of a netbook. Otherwise, HP's laptops and desktops will run Windows, and Apple's laptops and desktop will run OSX. It's the exact same.

How is that any different from Google "fully optimizing" Android?

Google isn't pulling the plug on anyone. I mean, we've seen this movie before in the desktop OS situation. Volume wins. Android will overwhelm competitors the same way Windows did by sheer numbers. Did you notice there were almost no non-Android consumer electronics products announced at CES? Sure there was a Windows 7 slate or handheld here or there along with the Blackberry Playbook. But Android represented at least 80-90 percent of what the rest of the industry is doing.

It's just the way things are going.
    IF UNDERSTAND IF I OK I OPINION WHAT I THINK NOT FACTS. If what I think HP will do is make a webos catalog for all their webos products, they will all be connected to one not two just one.

android is based off of a modified version of the linux kernel, where as webos is complete linux. Food for thought:

Matthew Porter's talk at the Grenoble conference titled "Mythbusters: Android" tackled the question of how much Android is actually Linux, how functional it is, and what is the nature of the Android community. Porter came to two interesting conclusions. First, he concluded that Android is not Linux in the strict sense of the word because important userspace components are missing, thereby making Android comparatively inaccessible and inflexible. Second, he concluded that the Android community is lagging behind other Linux and open source communities, partly because the platform is commonly developed outside the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) tree and given less priority in the open repository.

Porter works as chief software architect at the open source firm Embedded Alley, which Mentor Graphics acquired the end of July 2009. He is a PowerPC specialist, thus viewing Android from a hardware perspective. According to Porter's observations, Android uses, for example, its own mount system that works with MMC subsystems out-of-box rather than with USB devices. Support is missing for udev, glibc, and SysV process communication, but are replaced by a somewhat hard to change, hard-coded implementation from the Open Handset Alliance. Porter further explains that Android makes no use of tslib for touchscreen support and lacks effective Ethernet support. More arguments are included in his set of slides

The talk elicited at least two opposing reactions. In his blog, Harald Welte responded, "Executive summary: Android is a screwed, hard-coded, non-portable abomination." Opposing views came from participants in the Android Discuss Google group that maintained that Android's specialized and inflexible character was a result of performance and resource reasons.

How Much Linux Is in Android? - Linux Magazine Online

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

right now their not, but IF again hypathetical moto, samsung, htc etc do not have their own OS to do what they want with, therefore making them search for other avenues understand.
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 01/08/2011 at 02:11 PM.