Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Uh Oh.. according to BGR iphone for verzion coming out feb 3...will this affect hp announcemnet?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    You know what the problem is. It's when there is a thread specifically talking about HP Palm and the odd balls come & start with off topic bs that usually delves into other platforms.

Take it to the approp forum & thread. It's unbelieveable how the mods allow that stuff to happen on an all too frequent basis around here.

I'll refer you folks back to this post from yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Folks... lets not turn this into yet another cross-platform or carrier argument. This thread is about HP/Palm and their Feb event. Please stay on-topic. Any further derailing posts will be deleted or the thread closed. Thanks

This IS the "Future Palm Devices" subforum, after all. See? It says "Palm" right there!
    Guys will we ever be happy with anything that Hpalm comes out with?

What would make you guys happy? What phone and what pad would make your year? Please provide specs that you want to see in both units.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Feb 3 - Verizon iPhone launch
    Feb 9 - HP Event
    Feb 13 - Samsung announces dual-core smartphones and new tablets
    Feb 14 - Mobile World Congress
    I was going to start a new thread about it, but it's more appropriate here in an effort to steer the thread back on track.

Folks, THIS is how you announce "an announcement".

In brief:

1) Show up at CES with product to show
    2) Say you'll have ANOTHER announcement event in a month, but give a specific idea of WHAT you are announcing.
    3) Mention that it'll be for all carriers and all radio bands.
    4) Tally the latest million of Galaxy S phones or Galaxy Tab tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    Guys will we ever be happy with anything that Hpalm comes out with?

What would make you guys happy? What phone and what pad would make your year? Please provide specs that you want to see in both units.
    I think you'll find no fewer than 800 threads and countless posts about what folks want. No point in starting that in here...
    true, HP is extremely quiet like apple is about its upcoming products, and i dont think there is a Verizon iPhone coming Feb 3, more wishful thinking by Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I was going to start a new thread about it, but it's more appropriate here in an effort to steer the thread back on track.

In brief:

2) Say you'll have ANOTHER announcement event in a month, but give a specific idea of WHAT you are announcing.
    This quote, I think, is important:

while another major prong of the company's future roadmap is to curtail its featurephone offering in favor of low-cost smartphone devices
    This is what will bring my wife in...she's already shown real interest in my Palm phone. Hopefully HP can go this route as well. Not dumbing webOS down so much as working the Pixi angle. I think a high-end Droid-style phone would be wasted on her, but the Pixis and the Optimuseseseses are more her style. Lower cost, less frills...but still fun and useful.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    In case there was any doubt about a tablet being involved in the announcement...

My week started out with having dinner with a VP from HP, who told me that I should show up at an event on February 9th so I could see their Tablet.
    Also from the same link...
    Palm/HP? Folks who’ve seen it say it’s very good. The WebOS is definitely interesting and they could have some real tricks up their sleeves to disrupt Apple (much of the Palm/HP team came from Apple and they love smacking Steve Jobs upside the head with some new ideas). Look at the superior Facebook integration with the WebOS, for instance, for some hints as to what could come.
    Source
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    In case there was any doubt about a tablet being involved in the announcement...

Also from the same link...

Source
    That article also says:

The WebOS is definitely interesting and they could have some real tricks up their sleeves to disrupt Apple (much of the Palm/HP team came from Apple and they love smacking Steve Jobs upside the head with some new ideas).
    Haven't they tried to ride on Apple's coat tails for the last two years with little to no success? With that trackrecord, why would we expect the future to be any different?

In brief:

It's not more appropriate here bc this thread is about HP's Feb 9 announcement. Not Samsung's or Apple's. You say it's more appropriate so that you can make a point.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    HP Palm disrupt Apple? Yeaaaaahhhhh......
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    It's not more appropriate here bc this thread is about HP's Feb 9 announcement. Not Samsung's or Apple's. You say it's more appropriate so that you can make a point.
    Yes....a point related to the titular subject. If that isn't allowed, this thread should have one post and a poll asking if we're excited or not.
    Yes....a point related to the titular subject. If that isn't allowed, this thread should have one post and a poll asking if we're excited or not.
    This thread would have been short, but discussing what one thinks HP will show at the event is approp. Diving off into a Samsung announcement to illustrate 'how it should be done' is really stretching it.

Now this thread has derailed into Apple Verizon Iphone on Feb 3. Post that somewhere else. Smasung's event, post that somewhere else.
    Are you trying to hurt me?

In brief:

To me, it seems basically the same kind of announcement.
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    On topic, what is for sure is that they will show off a tablet. It has basically been confirmed by Scoble. I think that is the "Think Big" part. What is very likely is that they will show off a few smartphones. I think that is most likely as they have mentioned in that poem new devices and repeatedly said that new devices are coming this year. That would be the "Think Small". As for "Think Beyond", I think that they will basically show how you can write one app that will run on webOS regardless of screensize. They will basically be showing Enyo's full capabilities and announcing when the Enyo SDK will be available. I think also they will show off an ecosystem utilizing their melodeo and nutsie purchases. Probably deals with Amazon and Barnes and Noble. I actually met someone from the Nook team at the Dev day in NYC. He didn't give any hints, but we know that HP has deals with Barnes and Noble. Those are my thoughts and predictions.
    I just hope they don't announce just the tablet (think big) and a Pixi2 (think small). They need to announce some kind of superphone.
    The palm's blog post mentions the tablet, but also repeats 4 previous webOS phones models (they excluded original pixi), and uses four "noise" words for new phones.

Just saying...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    To me, it seems basically the same kind of announcement.
    (HP) Feb. 9 - We're announcing something about WebOS. Here's some clues and a cute poem.

(Samsung) Feb. 13 - We will be announcing SPECIFICALLY dual-core smartphones and new tablets with immediate plans to supply both 4G phones and tablets to EVERY carrier in the US. Oh, did you happen to see the new devices here at CES that we showed up with totally separate from this announcement?

The first tells you nothing and can only get you excited if you already believe HP is planning on releasing superphone devices with state-of-the-art tech. You don't know if they're looking at 3G or 4G or both or what carrier they will launch on or much of anything, really.

The second tells you a lot, yet leaves room for more exciting specs for the actual announcement. And it comes from a company that already showed up and had an event here at CES with product. It also tells you of their plans to be available for EVERY carrier with the fastest data possible for said carrier. Seems to be working for them.
    Mikah you must be a samsung fan. Even in another thread your argument was how samsung is this or samsung is that. Are you really that foolish to say hp won't be showing any phones next month? Why would they hold a separate event just to showcase a tablet and whatever carrier it will be on? Don't get me wrong, samsung makes great hardware and hardware alone. Touchwiz is crap. It is useless and the galaxy tab can't compare to anything apple/motorola/rim/vizio and (from the reports) hp has coming. Relax bro, to be honest, when it comes to who won the phone/tablet war at ces. It was motorola.
    Quote Originally Posted by hesosmoove View Post
    Mikah you must be a samsung fan. Even in another thread your argument was how samsung is this or samsung is that. Are you really that foolish to say hp won't be showing any phones next month? Why would they hold a separate event just to showcase a tablet and whatever carrier it will be on? Don't get me wrong, samsung makes great hardware and hardware alone. Touchwiz is crap. It is useless and the galaxy tab can't compare to anything apple/motorola/rim/vizio and (from the reports) hp has coming. Relax bro, to be honest, when it comes to who won the phone/tablet war at ces. It was motorola.
    I'm a fan of a successful non-Apple business model in the modern smartphone industry. There are a few, but the one that - in my opinion - makes the most sense for HP to outright steal is Samsung. Where WebOS HP is at kinda reminds me of where Samsung was before they announced the Galaxy S. They had just entered the market with the Behold II, which was a colossal flop that was unsupported to boot. It was also stuck on one carrier that was not one of the Big Two.

Motorola and HTC were cleaning up in the Android market with superphones, but Samsung came along and made a pretty desirable product with a good amount of differentiation (e.g. Super AMOLED, TouchWiz, Swype preinstalled, Hummingbird CPU with awesome GPU). Then, they marketed and promoted it HARD. 10 million sales later, I think you could consider it a successful blueprint. They stole the top Android manufacturer spot from Motorola and HTC in just SIX MONTHS.

HP Palm has the same potential, but it went woefully unfulfilled with the release of WebOS 2.0 and the Palm Pre 2. Although I applaud them having an event all to themselves, the manner in which they did so seems underwhelming, especially when coupled with the silence and non-presence of HP at CES 2011. Samsung not only managed to have a presence this year with product that people could see and touch, but they also announced a second event with details at the next conference and explained the scope they are moving ahead with.

HP is leaving it to us to fill in many of the blanks, and while that normally might be a cool way to build excitement, I think the way that it quickly dissipated in the midst of all of the CES hubbub shows that they need more than that to excite consumers and the media.

Just my take.