Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    if HP and Sprint become exclusive, again, they will go down together.
    I think the hopes here would be they do something similar to what Samsung has done. Pretty much the same device on almost every carrier, but the slight changes make it a carrier exclusive. Epic 4G? Sprint exclusive. Blackberry 4G PlayBook will be exclusive, doesn't mean the Blackberry PlayBook (3G model) won't come out somewhere else. HP has the ability to do what Samsung did with the Galaxy line, the former Palm did not.

Or HP could ignore that and be *******es.
    Apps:

Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The sprint exclusive wasn't a mistake though. Think of all the mistakes he did make and he regrets one of his few good choices. So when you say he can learn from his past mistakes, sure, but not if he doesn't realize which is which.

What else was Palm going to do at that time? Sprint had nothing and offered to market the Pre and make it the flagship. For a company with low resources that wasn't a mistake, that was a gift.
    Uh, yes?

Sprint carried Palm's water for as long as possible, and in return got the privilege of being SFR 1.0 - the paying beta testers for their new OS and devices.
    Well, you certainly can get a new webOS phone on Sprint (well, up until a month ago). You would just have to settle for your new phone being the one that they announced 2 years ago.
    Just picked up 2 Pixis from sprint last thursday for employees and if I recall they were only announced a little over a year ago
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Sprint has the Playbook as I mentioned earlier. The Atrix is not a tablet. It is a phone. It's not even an LTE phone.

At&T said that they'll have two LTE tablets. We can assume that the Ipad 2 is one of them. The Atrix darn sure ain't the other one.
    It doesn't matter what the other one is or who makes it. The iPad 2 is going to run roughshod on competition on AT&T because it not only has the most mature apps, ecosystem, and brand recognition, but it will also have the best data plan (non-contract and comparatively inexpensive).

It's also sold in FAR more retail locations than any of the competition will be. How many other tablets does Wal-Mart carry?

Finally, it'll be the only tablet with a previous generation being sold cheaper on the secondhand market, while those users upgrade to the new one.

I mean, these disadvantages apply to all of the tablet competition out there, but they are amplified for someone wanting an AT&T tablet.
    Tablets have thus far been completely driven by smart phone user base. People are partial to their phone's operating system. Launching a new webOS tablet without a decent phone to use for the masses is like a complete relaunch of the Pre... only all the major players beat them to the market this time, not just Apple.

I am becoming convinced that HP doesn't understand the mobile market at all. Like zero. As fragmented as Android's OS may be, HP/Palms product lineup is even more so.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It doesn't matter what the other one is or who makes it. The iPad 2 is going to run roughshod on competition on AT&T because it not only has the most mature apps, ecosystem, and brand recognition, but it will also have the best data plan (non-contract and comparatively inexpensive).
    Sorry...what? The closest plan to my Sprint plan is at least $10 more per month...and that's with a 5GB data cap.

Sprint Everything Data Family:
    1500 Minutes, Any Mobile Any time (any mobile, not just other Sprint phones)
    Unlimited data, voice, text.
    $130

AT&T:
    1400 minutes, only free mobile calling to other AT&T customers and A-Listers
    5GB data cap
    $90 + $25 + $25 = $140
    Uh....those are PHONE plans.
  8.    #248  
    Folks... lets not turn this into yet another cross-platform or carrier argument. This thread is about HP/Palm and their Feb event. Please stay on-topic. Any further derailing posts will be deleted or the thread closed. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Tablets have thus far been completely driven by smart phone user base. People are partial to their phone's operating system. Launching a new webOS tablet without a decent phone to use for the masses is like a complete relaunch of the Pre... only all the major players beat them to the market this time, not just Apple.

I am becoming convinced that HP doesn't understand the mobile market at all. Like zero. As fragmented as Android's OS may be, HP/Palms product lineup is even more so.
    I am as much a critic of HP Palm's mistakes as anyone, but I'd say we don't enough data here. We don't know what there plans are until Feb. 9 and the tablet market is far too young to establish conclusive data on purchase patterns across regions and carriers.
    Yup. All of this dual-core/4.3-inch screens/Super AMOLED PLUS displays talk is making me jones for a new phone bad.

I really hope HP can deliver something great in Feb. cause the Evo Shift 4G aint doing it for me and i am not going to leave Sprint.
    Last edited by Riboflavin; 01/06/2011 at 04:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    Yup. All of this dual-core/4.3-inch screens/Super AMOLED PLUS displays talk is making me jones for a new phone bad.

I really hope HP can deliver something great in Feb. cause the Evo Shift 4G aint doing it for me and i am not going to leave Sprint.
    I hope and think you are on the right track sprint has been a little to quiet.
    It is always quiet before the STORM
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    sorry, but if I was an android fan seeking a tablet or smartphone, I would be suffering a major case of buyer freeze. Which phone or tablet to get? Too many choices, too confusing.

I'll stick with webOS, which hopefully will integrate all of my webOS devices in one way or the other.
    It's easier than you think. Which carrier are you willing to put up with and pay for the hardware you want? That is one question. Another is, what exactly are your wants and needs? You can narrow it down, especially when you start looking at carrier pricing and restrictions. *I'm looking squarely at AT&T and now Verizon ruining the upgrade experience and charging higher fees.*

If you don't exactly care about pricing or carrier though, then you may have a problem, lol. Verizon has an excellent upcoming line-up and this is likely why they decided to mess over the customer by locking them in. They want to shut down returns and contract cancellations after subsidizing all these expensive devices. That may also include the CDMA iPhone as others have speculated.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well done, HP. I always preferred they do their own event, and sending this out prior to CES makes perfect sense to keep the "CES or bust" crowd strung along for a wee bit longer.

I wouldn't put it quite so close to MWC, but it's better than nothing.
    MWC = MacWorld Conference, right?

Keep in mind, Apple no longer participates in MWC. So there'll be no official product announcements then.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Not Mac, Mobile
  16.    #256  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    MWC = MacWorld Conference, right?

Keep in mind, Apple no longer participates in MWC. So there'll be no official product announcements then.
    It's actually the Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona, Feb 14-17

Close though
  17.    #257  
    After looking at the information on the MWC website... HP may have made a very good choice waiting to announce their new stuff and mobile direction at their own event and away from CES.. and right before the Mobile World Congress event.

The MCW is a huge meeting for app developers
    In 2010:
    • 20,000+ attendees came through App Planet
    • 150+ Exhibitors
    • 6,000+ developers at MWC10
    • 54% of developer community represent senior-level positions

In 2011 App Planet will have:.
    • 200+ exhibitors
    • Greater networking opportunities
    • Stellar App Developer Conferences led by our partners
    • A wide range of App Competitions
    • An engaging Forum Series
    HP is announcing their mobile devices a week before this event.
    HP is sponsoring 2 separate areas of this event.
    There are a ton of developers there for HP to meet up with and sell.

HP could walk into this event with exciting new news, win developers over, and come out with a lot of new partners for webOS. (Heck, they could already have a lot of that going on already.)

Of course, I'm just spit-balling here... but their timing of their event just before the MWC is starting to actually look like a very smart strategy!
    It looks like Josh Topolsky of Engadget interviewed Matias Duarte who he says is the "driving force behind Honeycomb" and they will post it tomorrow (Friday). I guess we can see what could have been for the webOS tablet.
    I'm excited to see what he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    palm/hp is using feb 9 to make an announcement because they havent got a clue abut what their next phone is going to be and so they are waiting to see what comes out of ces.
    So... HPalm is going to wait to see what everyone else announces at CES then design and build a brand new phone to show off in a few weeks?
    hopefully they announce dual core hardware. if not, they should keep their mouth shut